The things we want to return to the Bond movies.

Comments

• edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339
    It is ,isnt it GG ?...i think it gets a rough deal sometimes,until the very end i think its a good,solid Bond film,with a great score and the Bond theme used well...eg,when Bond escapes from Carver's printing factory ...

And the Dr Kaufmann scene is one of my favourites of the whole series.....as is the moment where Bond pushes over Carver's satellite as he tries to escape..little things that are pure Bond.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    It is ,isnt it GG ?...i think it gets a rough deal sometimes,until the very end i think its a good,solid Bond film,with a great score and the Bond theme used well...eg,when Bond escapes from Carver's printing factory ...

And the Dr Kaufmann scene is one of my favourites of the whole series.....as is the moment where Bond pushes over Carver's satellite as he tries to escape..little things that are pure Bond.

Well said. TND has always been my personal favorite.
    Actually before we get told off for mis-using this thread,BMW,i think we might need to move to the TND Appreciation thread..is there one still on here ? there should be ...
    I cant see one so im going to create a new one and ,if there is one,then they can merge them..right,back to the thread topic...sorry lads and lasses ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The NSNA ending is a piece of s**t compared to GE's ending.

DAF has the original Connery pain-face when Mr Wint is strangling him.

Skyfall's ending in the chapel was excellent.
    I think the GE & SF endings are the best from the last 25 years.

I quite liked the DAF ending as well (on the boat and on the oil rig). Tonally, the film was consistent, like all the Hamilton entries.
  • Recently I've found that all the Craig climaxes are just passable.

CR's doesn't work when you've front-loaded the film with two frankly much more frenetic and thrilling chases. It works only an emotional level (and quite well, admittedly). But in my opinion the fight is subpar for Campbell, and the visuals are all wrong due to the use of CGI and switching between the inside where it is dark and claustrophobic and the outside where it is bright and sunny. The fight is my least favourite part of the film.

QOS's climax just flash cuts too much and it's undermined because Camille's facing a tougher opponent than Bond. As if axe-wielding squealing Greene could defeat 007. It's over before it begins and is unrealistic (fuel cells? I don't know how many hotels are powered that way but if they're that volatile why would you stay in one?)

SF's climax is probably the best because they took time to set up atmosphere and a sense of build-up. The visuals artistically speaking are extremely impressive. The Home Alone comparison I think is unfounded. The only two gripes are that after the PTS you have waited for a legitimate big action-set piece for the whole film and it doesn't exactly live up. The second thing is that Bond doesn't have a true tussle with an important character, there's just the guy he suffocates beneath water, which is nice, but superfluous.

And now SP. It starts out alright, but M's tussle with C is rather superfluous and dumb and there's just too much Mi6. After Bond meets Blofeld there's just this feeling of cliche. I groaned when Blofeld said that he had three minutes to find Madeleine or save himself or live with the pain. Cliche one. Then we have a visually impressive boat chase which actually had me gasp a bit because I'm thinking 'it's so hopeless; he can't shoot it down!' Then he does. How unfair. Then we get the bridge scene and the worst line in the film - a groan-inducing 'finish it'. Cliche two. And then it's over and you realise in those 20 closing minutes of the film Bond didn't even fight anyone!!!

Far cry from GE in my opinion.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos/1436011926413400/

I want a Jet pack to return, this is awesome.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,599
    Something that is overdue IMHO and mentioned by others is Bond as an inspirational leader, working with an elite team of commandos etc to over come a large force. This gives the production designer and director so much more space to create something epic and iconic. The traditional villain has an impressive HQ and an equally impressive security teams that need "taking out".
    For me, the climax of YOLT was one of the best examples of this IMHO,
    in addition, its also great to see Bond alone, but still on a massive set or location, working his way through the security guards and escaping (again YOLT has the great rooftop sequence).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I constantly see that complaint thrown toward QoS, that Greene isn't believable in a fight with Bond: but why? He's completely unhinged and psychotic, and when you put him up against Bond and slap an axe in his hands, I find it a pretty even matchup: Bond jumps back in the hotel and is a little dazed from the landing, but by that point, Greene has already hit him quite a few times with the pipe before he switches to an axe. Seems like a fair matchup to me.
    I agree...Greene has simply lost the plot and is in a frenzy as his world literally crumbles around him.
    As Creasy says,Bond has already taken a good few whacks and been knocked all over the place..
    Any man facing a crazed man with an axe has to be careful.

I thought it was a good moment,showing that beneath all that calmness and serenity that Greene showed throughout QOS,his mask finally reveals the real beast.
    And the fact he puts the axe through his own foot is realistic,as he is not a fighter,just temporarily insane.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He should have used a chainsaw.
    At least we got a fight with Bond and the main villain in QOS. What a cop out SF was! I was expecting a proper face off between Silva and Bond, after the build up between them, Not just a knife in the back!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    At least we got a fight with Bond and the main villain in QOS. What a cop out SF was! I was expecting a proper face off between Silva and Bond, after the build up between them, Not just a knife in the back!

Would you prefer if he beheaded him?
    Mathis1 wrote: »

As much as I love SF, I have to agree. They need to bring back Bond properly squaring off against the main villain - at least a little more frequently.
    Haha! Well they built up this animosity between them! The teasing while tied to the chair! Killing Severine, the train sequence, and finally taunting him on the frozen lake ("All this running around..!), I was looking forward, considering I didn't think much of the climax up to then, that they at least would have some sort of fight! Just remember thinking in the Cinema, "Ah, fecks sake, is that it??"
    The sequence with Silva and M right before he gets the knife I found quite uncomfortable viewing (in a good way).

Far more compelling than the "finish it" scene in SP.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339
    The one thing in SP that disappointed me was Bond shooting down Blofeld's helicopter...i was actually willing Blofeld to get away,it would have been a much better ending...Bond hasnt 'lost' in a film since 1969 and this was the right time ,totally,for Blofeld to get away and the anticipation of them meeting again..showing that Blofeld was Bond's equal,not just another villain.

Eon ,Craig,Mendes etc missed a golden opportunity to show that Bond can be beaten, to a new,younger audience....he is not superman,and he wasnt left in a terrible situation ala Bond with Tracy in OHMSS (which was a brilliant ending),so no revenge outing.

But,i suppose if this was Craig's last film,he couldnt go out in defeat so Blofeld had to look a pratt and not the arch-enemy he was in the books etc...

That's the modern way......but ,if that was the case then Bond should have fought one more Quantum villain,complete Craigs' tenure ,and held Blofeld back for something really special in the future,maybe even in a new actor's debut film,as they did in OHMSS,and set tongues wagging that Bond lost and Blofeld got away.The next film would have been huge.

Don't forget MI6'ers that this is the 1st time Blofeld has ever been actually seen to be caught (apart from the FYEO PTS spoof)...he wasnt seen to be caught in YOLT,OHMSS or DAF...so the mystery of Blofeld has gone.....shame.

Rant over...
  • @barryt007 I'd argue that Bond lost in SF since Silva did what he set out to do (humiliate and kill M).
    True ,but it wasnt a total victory as Silva was killed and Spectre lost a big Quantum operative...
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 676
    Recently I've found that all the Craig climaxes are just passable.

CR's doesn't work when you've front-loaded the film with two frankly much more frenetic and thrilling chases. It works only an emotional level (and quite well, admittedly). But in my opinion the fight is subpar for Campbell, and the visuals are all wrong due to the use of CGI and switching between the inside where it is dark and claustrophobic and the outside where it is bright and sunny. The fight is my least favourite part of the film.
    Apparently Campbell and co. ran out of time to properly storyboard the sinking house sequence (unlike the parkour and airport) and it definitely suffers for that. I agree with you, the CGI and cutting to exteriors of the building also hurt the sequence.

The way I see it, CR should have had three set pieces: parkour, airport and poker game. Although one might not consider the poker a traditional set piece, it represents a significant conflict between Bond & villain, contained in one space, over a definite period of time. It leads to Le Chiffre's death, like the previous sequences ended with Mollaka and Carlos' deaths. After the poker game, the story should really be over - except we have the Vesper angle to wrap up, and so begins what has been referred to as CR's "fourth act." Which is a bit hard to sit through in the first place... but the presence of yet another set piece, well over 2 hours into the run time, turns things deadly boring.

Along with grand set pieces, CR also deals in another kind of action - short bursts of brutal violence. Such as the PTS and stairwell fight. I think the final conflict between Bond, Gettler and Vesper should have been just another burst of violence. Could have gone something like this: Gettler and Vesper flee - Bond takes out the gunners. Then he takes out Gettler, only to find the suitcase and Vesper missing. Mr. White walks away with the suitcase. Bond returns to the hotel to find Vesper has drowned herself in the bathtub. No sinking house necessary. (Of course, this would miss the personal element of Bond witnessing Vesper's death, which is very effective.)
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,053
    I want to see the return of decent writing & (gasp) direction. I'm not holding my breath though.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The sequence with Silva and M right before he gets the knife I found quite uncomfortable viewing (in a good way).

I honestly thought that Silva was going to kiss M. Very creepy.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    royale65 wrote: »

I honestly thought that Silva was going to kiss M. Very creepy.
    Agreed. Bardem sold this scene very well imho. One could feel his pain and desire to end it right there, because he knew he would never be able to let go of this obsession, even if he killed M.
    I also think the over-acting when he got the knife in his back was intentional. Almost as if he's saying "dammit...you got me".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I also think the over-acting when he got the knife in his back was intentional. Almost as if he's saying "dammit...you got me".

I took it as him being pissed off that Bond stopped him immediately before he got to kill M, moreso than him being angry that he's dead - he doesn't care as long as he takes M with him. Loved it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I took it as him being pissed off that Bond stopped him immediately before he got to kill M, moreso than him being angry that he's dead - he doesn't care as long as he takes M with him. Loved it.

That sounds about right.

When you get a knife in the back, you play it cool?

Obviously not in real life, but the way he groaned kind of suggested a "curses" attitude to Bond. I remember it got a few giggles in the cinema too.
    I do not mind that the 007 movies get more "adult" as somebody defends Craig and Dalton states, but can we please have some fun back in the series. Craig's version is a serious sourpuss and a little more fun should be possible, as evidenced in CR.

Obviously not in real life, but the way he groaned kind of suggested a "curses" attitude to Bond. I remember it got a few giggles in the cinema too.

I was once stabbed in the back. Luckily I wore a thick leather jacket. Those things are life savers. No groans from me, though.