Should EON lose the rights to Blofeld and SPECTRE?

124»

Comments

@GBF I always think Bond should have a great variety of villains, true. But I don't think Blofeld should be discarded entirely. The problem is that writers have tried to use him as a device and a cliche, in the films he might be the man with the white cat and the absurd plans, but in the books, he is not. There can be many different interpretations of a character, but no Bond film for me has ever truly captured what is interesting about Blofeld, a man obsessed with control and identity. If on screen he is fleshed out as an actual character, he can be a fascinating villain for Bond to go up against.

Yes, Spectre was a missed opportunity - they had the chance to reimagine the character cinematically and would have liked him to be more the Blofeld of the novels.
  • @tanaka123 Exactly. I like Christoph Waltz and some aspects of his performance as Blofeld in Spectre, but I don't really understand what they were going for. If filmmakers can't succeed in making a man behind a nefarious, extremely powerful organisation interesting or exciting, then they have failed massively, simple as that.
  • GBFGBF
    @tanaka123 Exactly. I like Christoph Waltz and some aspects of his performance as Blofeld in Spectre, but I don't really understand what they were going for. If filmmakers can't succeed in making a man behind a nefarious, extremely powerful organisation interesting or exciting, then they have failed massively, simple as that.

But I still don't understand why a new Bond villain must be named Blofeld again. We also don't want to reintroduce a new Goldfinger or Dr. No Jr. or whatever. I just don't see the
    necessity. I have nothing against returning characters. But it is so obvious that Blofeld and Spectre are brought back only for commercial reasons. It would have been much better if they had stayed with Quantum and Mr. White as a returning villain who is rather operating in the backgroud.
  • @GBF I think it's because a true version of Blofeld has never actually been portrayed on screen. You're right though, 100%, they only thought of the commercial aspect of the character and his organisation, rather than what they could do with him as a character. Until they get that right, I do think they should carry on with introducing new and exciting villains to the series. But I definitely don't think they should just rule out Blofeld altogether.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    doubleoego wrote: »
    They had the chance and opportunity to really turn SPECTRE and Blofeld into a shit-scary cult type illuminati type organisation but alas they dropped their pants too soon, nutted in record time and shat the bed also.
    I very much agree with this one.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    They had the chance and opportunity to really turn SPECTRE and Blofeld into a shit-scary cult type illuminati type organisation but alas they dropped their pants too soon, nutted in record time and shat the bed also.

true... but that is something that could still be remedied in the next film - think about it - a group nameless men willing to lay down their life in order to break Ernst out of prison... all this could've and should've been set up in SP - but, since it wasn't, and we only got a taste of the organization itself, this would be their perfect opportunity to have the organization go full on retaliation on MI6 and Bond.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 377
    no
    Good lord, man!
    HASEROT wrote: »

true... but that is something that could still be remedied in the next film - think about it - a group nameless men willing to lay down their life in order to break Ernst out of prison... all this could've and should've been set up in SP - but, since it wasn't, and we only got a taste of the organization itself, this would be their perfect opportunity to have the organization go full on retaliation on MI6 and Bond.
    It could be achievable. If they treat Spectre as a realistic Hydra and that illuminati type of cult organizations and committees, they'll have something really interesting in the Bond series created.
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    No, in fact Blofeld should be in all the movies.
  • RC7RC7

Terrible idea.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Welcome to the boards, John Logan.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    I don't see why the remaining members of spectre would want Blofeld back? Surely there would be a ruthless person hungry for the power of head of spectre? These are criminal masterminds after all, and also Blofeld's seemingly obsessive pursuit of Bond makes him reckless with the organisation, which has jeopardised them time and again.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    RC7 wrote: »

Terrible idea.

Agreed.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,325
    The reason why Blofeld works in the books, and to some extent in the 60s films, is that he was built up as a threat over time, as he lurked in the background pulling all the strings. The Blofeld of Spectre is none of that - he's a wingy kid, who's jealous of his foster-brother. He got arrested after one film - where's the threat?
    Sad but true.
    Dramatically, with the retcon and all, it actually would have made more sense for Mr White to be revealed as Blofeld - more believable that he was 'the author of all your pain'.
    Better than an adopted brother certainly.
    Blofeld being in every film is presumptuous. They could have worked out the character in the modern world by the standards of what works today, but instead they pulled off a High School Musical drama on it. "Daddy loved you more, so I'll hurt you so bad!" Pfft... I liked Spectre for what it was and I still prefer it over Skyfall by a thousand mile distance. But, that Blofeld twist and some of the cliches incorporated into the film was idiotic.

Alright, back to Blofeld in every film... Why should he be the only villain when there are lots of others to battle? I don't even want SPECTRE to be in every film, either. Blofeld arrested, escapes. Blofeld is killed, later revealed to be alive. Blofeld is liquidated, yet Bond faces plans the villain made for him to destroy him, etc etc and so on... Doing this can only be compared to a child who doesn't admit defeat when the game is over for hours.

Move on. Create new arcs, new threats, new villains, new approaches. This is no longer the 1960s. Stay true to Fleming while you adapt the universe to a modern day. That's what Eon is missing while others get it. Cough, the comics, cough.