No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It s not like they have never tried getting huge names before.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's true. I've been relieved by all the choices they have made to date (all good for the time they were cast, although some have grown into the role better than others). I'm happy that they never ended up with the Brolins or Neills of the world.
    Well they tend to go for more well known actors on the odd numbers since Connery anyways and while Fassbender is a big name in franchises two things to point out

1. X-men Apocolypse might be the last film in that franchise for a few years
    2. He is not a movie Star outside of franchises many of his films like Jobs flopped big time

Like I said not saying he will be the next 007 but as one commentator put it "here is a picture of Michael Fassbender in a tuxedo do you need more then that"
    Fassbender may be in Xmen and some other films, but I wouldn't say he's HUGE. It's not like he's Jack Nicholson or Robert De Niro. IMO there aren't any really big stars out there that are current. Mostly guys in superhero franchises. Point being in this current era, I'd say he still could stand a pretty good chance of being a contender without his name working against him.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,115
    Reddit User: Michael Fassbender is EON's top choice for role.
    2016-01-03T035.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/4xuj1c/michael_fassbender_is_broccolis_top_choice/

This from the same person who claimed that Steven Knight was writing and that Mendes shot Hiddleston's screentest.

Please be true.

Fassbender has all the necessary ingredients and some. EON have gone after more high-brow talent since signing Craig and I think Fassbender's appointment would fit with their current edict. Not only that, he's a terrifically talented actor who has name credibility. He's by far the most talented actor in the conversation currently.

Back in 2011, he was Steven Soderbergh's choice (after George Clooney) to play Napoleon Solo. Warner Bros. didn't think he was enough of a star. (All of this before Guy Ritchie entered the picture).

To be clear, I'm not criticizing the idea of Fassbender as Bond. Just passing along some amusing trivia.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames I am a huge Sam Neill fan, but thank god he never played Bond. I much prefer him in Jurassic Park.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Personally I don't think Fassbender being a known entity is a problem. If EoN are still intent on sticking to how they've been casting their lead then they need to adjust their approach. Fassbender maybe the most famous or one of the most famous plausible candidates but he's a character actor that can get lost into any role.

I have my doubts that he'll be cast but I wouldn't put it down to his level of fame as a stopping point.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Me too @DaltonCraig007. Love the guy, but the screen test didn't look promising at all, even if better than Brolin (yuck).
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 30
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Well if we're in a different media market now, perhaps they would try a better-known face. They got lucky by going with Craig and having him amp up the box office the way he has, so maybe they're looking for some more star power this time instead. We have heard rumors about the casting process being shaken up somehow, perhaps that's how.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm all for that. Again, that would be a different approach for them, but if they want to do it, that's fine with me. I think he'd be an excellent Bond, as would Hiddleston (who may have a longer run due to the slight age advantage).

@Creasy47 @bondjames It might be more appealing to a potential new distributor to go with a known name/face; not a huge star, but someone you know you can trust with handling a big film and the promotion. Which is why either Fassbender or Hiddleston would be great choices. Both are ending their previous franchise commitments (X-Men, Thor), have fan bases in China from their superhero movies, and are great at promotion. And are talented actors to boot.

I agree Hiddleston might have the advantage due to age, but either would be able to walk into the role fairly easily.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I thought Hiddleston was just gearing up for his next role as Loki? Didn't think he was done with that just yet.
    @Creasy47 He's shooting the third Thor right now, and if he's in the last Avengers movies, they finish shooting June 2017. After that, he's clear - with nothing on his IMDb right now.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Sean Connery - Unknown
    George Lazenby - Unknown
    Roger Moore - well known
    Timothy Dalton - knownish
    Pierce Brosnan - Known
    Daniel Craig - Unknown
    Fassbender - Well known.

I'd be ecstatic with Fassbender though I want Daniel to do one more.
    Age could be a problem with Fassbender. He presently is 39 and looks every bit of it. In an absolute best-case scenario, Eon would get a maximum of three pictures out of him.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Here's an interesting story regarding a film that isn't Bond 25.

http://theplaylist.net/nicolas-winding-refn-teases-avenging-silence-will-william-burroughs-flavor-20160817/

Nicholas Winding Refn has indicated that his new film, 'The Avenging Silence', will draw inspiration from Ian Fleming's novel 'Dr. No'.

http://theplaylist.net/nicolas-winding-refn-teases-avenging-silence-will-william-burroughs-flavor-20160817/

https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=764777281936056320&ref_src=twsrc^tfw&original_referer=http://theplaylist.net/nicolas-winding-refn-teases-avenging-silence-will-william-burroughs-flavor-20160817/&tw_i=764777281936056320&tw_p=tweetembed

This guy's cinematography is outstanding.

1a839479f3abb5e0d5e7fa7edc44cb1f.jpg

In other news................Jack Huston (looking every inch 007) has commented on the rumours surrounding his possible casting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=yl_sfcTKFBQ
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Age is not a problem ...they say they are still wanting Craig who is pushing 50.

The Bond franchise is in a different world than Cubby's. Very competitive. Nabbing a well known actor could be a big plus in getting Bond 25 on the go.

But will they pay for him? I dunno...

Is the rumor true or will this happen? Doubt both. We'll see.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    But following Craig will be a very tough job. Will EON want to cast another 'unknown/left field choice' who might come under heavy fire until he silences everyone with his 1st film, or do they cast a well known actor that a big portion of the general public will 'buy' as Bond the moment he is announced?

A tv star would do the trick hehe. Not universally famous like Hidleston or Fassbender but not almost unknown like Craig.
    Like someone said repeat what they did with Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan who were tv stars in a spy tv series.
    So lets hope we get a new spy tv series with a new british actor handosme and good enough ti be Bond.

Another day another rumor
    Still think Craig could be back. Sorry but Reddit is not really a source
    I get the vibe more and more every day that SP was Craig's last. We'll see though.
    I would absolutely love to see Fassbender as the next Bond. I'm a huge fan of the guy and worked with him on a movie before. He has a fantastic screen presence and in my opinion he could take Bond to a whole new level.

Certainly a better choice than the weedy Hiddleston in my opinion.
    It's still a likliehood that we see Craig back for one more in 2019. Don't discount it, the grass isn't always greener.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    We're pretty much left in the dark ensured that nothing as of now is made out of certainty, so anything is a possibility in the up and coming events. We're facing the unknown here so far you wouldn't know whatever is going on regarding Bond 25, or if Craig opts in or out, which actor gets the part, when it comes out, etc.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043
    Fassbender as Bond would be for me the only established actor I'd want to see in the role.

The guy oozes charisma and he's the only actor I could see if they go down the established route rather than rebooting with another origin attempt (please not again) I think MF could possibly as an established fully formed Bond easily top Craig's effort in SPECTRE.

I can see why EON might go down this route but until they announce Craig's done and who is the new Bond I'll take it all with a pinch of salt.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,423
    He did channel Bond three times in his career, at least.

Lt. Archie Hicox in Inglourious Basterds
    Erik Lensherr (before he was Magneto) in X-Men: First Class
    Paul Whatshisname in Haywire

Some of the bits in Haywire were very Bondian... Well... Until he got his arse kicked by Gina Carano. ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043
    As godawful as The Counselor was he certainly looked suave in the suits he wore but definitely Hicox and Lensherr in the first half of First Class screamed Bond.

I remember thinking that the early segment of First Class where he's tracking down war criminals he ozzed Bondness in a Conneryesque manner.

He'd play a different type of Bond to Craig whereas Hardy would be too much like Craig. Fassbender has the build and the manner to take Bond somewhere else.

The depth that Daniel bought to the role but he could carry off the humour and the charm better than Craig in my view.

It's unlikely anyone will ever top Craig's performance in CR, for me while not Bond as we know it but definitely the one time where we see the character develop over the course of the film.

Not really nescessary before but CR showed something never seen in the series and for that I'll be eternally grateful to Craig for it.
    @Shardlake, that bank scene was enough for me to see the Bond in him. He was showing it.
    Maybe it's just me but I am not too sweet on Fassbender as Bond. If they recast I hope it's an unknown.
    I have to say, sometimes I want him in the part, and other times I don't. In the aforementioned three films (my post), he nailed the part of the Bond template. But, some other decisions in picking roles he made really put me off, which is why I'm not sure how I'd cope with his Bond profile while he goes to do some movie about a puppet-head-wearing rockstar.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm not sure how I'd cope with his Bond profile while he goes to do some movie about a puppet-head-wearing rockstar.

Is that the film 'Frank' or something? That was some weird shit.
    I'm not sure how I'd cope with his Bond profile while he goes to do some movie about a puppet-head-wearing rockstar.

Is that the film 'Frank' or something? That was some weird shit.
    Yeah that was it.