2016 Rio Olympics discussion

Discuss

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Discus, is one of the events, I think ;)
    I'm addicted to the Olympics I hope USA takes gold medal count over china. It has been a slow start though I'm not to happy.
    I saw gymnast Samir Ait Said break his leg today, ver y sad, apparently it also happened to his other leg shortly before the London Olympics in 2012. Apparently this can happen from not enough back strength. Anyway I hope he recovers well for the next one, also he is cute.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Being a brazilian, this is all I have to say... :D

gOCcVZ2.png
    Lol nice being a Brazilian what are you looking forward to most in these Olympics?
    These Olympics are pissing me off all America has done is shit the bed except for that air rifle gold.
    It would be nice to have some serious Olympic discussions, not just moonraker jokes.
    Congrats Katie on the gold and the world record
    Which America atheletes are you expecting big things from @Problem_Eliminaotr? :)
    The swim team and the runners and anything else is a bonus.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Great stuff from Adam Peaty in the breaststroke, and beating his world record, set in the heats, to win gold. And then Jazz Carlin followed that up with silver in the womens 400m freestyle. Great for Britain.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    As a kiwi my expectations are considerably lower! But glad we won an unexpected silver in women's shooting. The rowing is where our golds usually lie, as well as women's shotput. first time in The Olympics rugby sevens (women's should medal but the men who used to have a stranglehold on the sport along with Fiji have not been performing well this year so won't be surprised if they win gold or not place at all!)
    The time difference from rio is a killer for us. Still - always good to see. Liked seeing that Aussie swimmer call out the Chinese guy as a drug cheat - after beating him too, so it didn't look like sour grapes. Need more honesty like that within the sport if they have any hope of overhauling the devastating impact of drugs in sports.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Djokovic knocked out in 1st round by Del Potro. Wow!!!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I won't be watching any of this.
    :)) Me neither ( I hate sport, in all forms ) except the ladies beach volleyball.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Adam Peaty 'I gave it everything I've got and did it for my country'. And crucially he didnt bottle it. Well done Sir.

The bloke has probably had to get up at 5am for most of his life to put in 2 hours of lengths before school/work. Meanwhile Raheem Sterling lies in bed waiting for his butler to bring his sugar puffs. Thats the difference.

In the women's race the American destroys the world record by 2 seconds but there's nothing questionable about this? Its only Russians who dope.
    Yes, I'm no sports fan either and in fact I rather resent the fact they arrange things so that there's always sport on the TV no matter what time of year it is.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    For those who haven't seen it, the poem "A Flor e a Náusea" by Brazilian poet Carlos Drummond de Andrade was used in the Opening Ceremony of Rio 2016.

It was read in Portuguese by Brazilian actress Fernanda Montenegro, with English version by Judi Dench.

Watch it here:
    http://jbbr.co/Rio2016JDFM
    I will be keeping a close eye on all the male swimmers and divers and will report back with my findings.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Where as most of us will be watching the Ladies beach volleyball !!.....
    :)) That's the great thing about sport, there's something for everyone. ;)
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Where as most of us will be watching the Ladies beach volleyball !!.....
    Be sure to share a photo or two when the time comes, Just for informational purposes. :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    For those who haven't seen it, the poem "A Flor e a Náusea" by Brazilian poet Carlos Drummond de Andrade was used in the Opening Ceremony of Rio 2016.

It was read in Portuguese by Brazilian actress Fernanda Montenegro, with English version by Judi Dench.

Watch it here:
    http://jbbr.co/Rio2016JDFM
    When I heard poem and Judi Dench in the same sentence, all I could think of was Tennyson.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I've just spent the last half hour watching weight lifting FFS. Why? Is it because I care about weightlifting? No its the sheer human drama that it actually means something to these athletes. All the sacrifices, all the work and its not for money or cars or sitting in the VIP area of nightclubs. Its just to be there with a chance to go down history.

This is what makes the Olympics special. Yes I would still pick the world cup every time but if you want to see role models come here because they only underline how pathetic footballers are. If you could somehow bottle the spirit shown by people in the Olympics England would stroll the world cup.
    I've just spent the last half hour watching weight lifting FFS. Why? Is it because I care about weightlifting? No its the sheer human drama that it actually means something to these athletes. All the sacrifices, all the work and its not for money or cars or sitting in the VIP area of nightclubs. Its just to be there with a chance to go down history.

This is what makes the Olympics special. Yes I would still pick the world cup every time but if you want to see role models come here because they only underline how pathetic footballers are. If you could somehow bottle the spirit shown by people in the Olympics England would stroll the world cup.

Yes, but Rory McIlroy clearly doesn't believe in any of that!
    To be honest, Like Rory McIlroy, I wouldn't be there either. ;)
    He might want to start a family in a few years, only makes sense to
    Me to avoid Zika .
    To be honest, Like Rory McIlroy, I wouldn't be there either. ;)
    He might want to start a family in a few years, only makes sense to
    Me to avoid Zika .

Me neither. I mean what would I be doing there! :))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Good point, Wiz.

And has everybody seen this? I love this. :)
    Djokovic knocked out in 1st round by Del Potro. Wow!!!

note to self, if you become the world's best t player and just become a new dad, do not leave wife at home whilst you go to nightclub, have an affair with the hottest bollywood female star on the planet, oh yes and don't let the paps catch you and take pics of you in the act...as this might put you off your game. what a plonker.