Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

edited May 2012 in Actors Posts: 11,189
Out of the 2 "harder" Bonds which would be your pick?

ATM mine would be Dalton. More refined and sophisticated which reflects the Etonian feel of the original character.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 23,449
    I turned this into a poll. Votes can be made here ----------------------------->.

It's a hard choice for me. I like them both. I guess my appreciation for Dalton, which has existed for over 15 years now, beats Craig but ever so slightly.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Timothy Dalton by a large margin.
    hm i cant decide.dalton movies were better but craig is good too.i dont know i will vote for Craig just by a little difference
  • Wow, never knew dalton was favoured over Craig, i mean, Dalton's alright and all, i mean he's definately better than my hatred over Lazenby's bond, but i find him bit boring and lifeless at times, i definately go with the modern day Craig :D
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Dalton all the way. Craig is also very good but is simply Dalton's replica from the 2000s.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2011 Posts: 3,262
    Dalton by a vast margin. He has black hair, smoked, fought the Soviets and played Bond in an era less removed by time from the era Fleming wrote in and seems far closer to the character Fleming actually wrote. Dalton also benefited from some remnants of the golden 1960s era of Bond cinema(Maibaum, Cubby Broccoli, John Barry, Desmond Llewellyn). Craig's a great actor too but he is hampered by the era we're now living in and by Babs, Judi, and Haggis.
  • By Vote is for Dalton, he is only surpassed by Connery. Craig however has to sit in behind Connery and Dalton.
  • Lazenby. Oh wait...Craig. Dalton's overrated.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 503
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Roger Moore
    3. Timothy Dalton
    4. Pierce Brosnan
    5. George Lazenby
    6. Daniel Craig

So, the former.

But I'm hoping Craig to grow on me with Bond 23. For now, even though he's a superb actor, he doesn't convince me as being James Bond. Since the character is rebooted though, he might certainly come into his own by Bond 23 and climb my rankings.
  • CISCIS Suspended
    Timmy by a mile.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 1,092
    Craig but only just. I love them both. I feel like Dalton didn't get deep enough into the character, as great as he was, and was let down by the era he found himself in. He's amazing, don't get me wrong. But Craig is powerful, ruthless, feels like Connery's second coming, the real James Bond, and will/can take the series to new heights.

So Craig.
    Craig is my #2 favorite Bond behind Connery and Dalton is #3. I really like them both, but Craig has the macho swagger like a young Connery that Dalton does not have.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Dalton. He was more with the Fleming novels than Craig.
    Dalton has more of the "Bond look" then Craig, and I think he did a better job in the role. Dalton gets my vote. Although I am not a fan of either one because their take on Bond is that of a "reluctant secret agent". That approach isn't as fun for me, and with my forum name being "Moonraker" this probably doesn't come as no surprise. :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting Moonraker: That approach isn't as fun for me, and with my forum name being "Moonraker" this probably doesn't come as no surprise.
    Ah !! I have "DaltonCraig" in my username, while having TMWTGG, DAF and MR in my top 5 !!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dalton, by a margin that big, it has 2 post codes. When I watch a clip of Dalton talking about Bond (especially the LTK on set ones), and I mean the literary Bond, that level of dedication and knowledge of the character he exhibits, I don't feel that from Craig.
    wasn't it you that referred to Craig as "donkey kong Bond"? lol
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,882
    It rings a bell. ;-) I've also called him the sulky teen Bond, and Incredible Hulk Bond.
    I love both really. But Craig embodies a certain coolness on screen that I feel is very similar to Connery or Steve McQueen.
    Craig.... Craig..... Craig....
    Craig certainly has a Steve McQueen-like "coolness" (ironically I think he's playing McQueen in an upcoming bio pic) but Dalton is just the more Bond-like, sophisticated in an old fashoned sense, and (IMHO) the man Fleming would have chosen for the part if faced with the two.
    blockquote>Quoting MajorDSmythe: I've also called him the sulky teen Bond, and Incredible Hulk Bond.

Yep, those descriptions are fairly accurate.
    "Mumble mumbe"
    "I need to know I can trust you"
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Dalton. Though Craig, in time, could be better than him. Craig has the power and acting ability to do so, so it'd be annoying if he didn't.
    Craig.
    Vicarious Thrills and Retribution.
    All Have License to Kill.
    You Can Tell the Book by Its Cover.

JB007LTK
    Quoting Samuel001: Dalton. Though Craig, in time, could be better than him.
    Why isn't he already? Just wondering.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting Bond:

Quoting Samuel001: Dalton. Though Craig, in time, could be
    better than him.
    Why isn't he already? Just wondering.
    He's only played the "becoming Bond" version of Bond and not really the real thing yet, as he will in Bond 23. Let's see how he does then.
  • Difficult decision due to their movies being made in different era's and being completely different movies (obvious comment). They are probably both spot on for the time the movies were/are made. If I have to make the choice then I'd probably go for Daltons less hard but more emotional Bond than Craigs harder yet less emotive Bond (I don't think Craig brings the emotion across as well as Dalton).
    Quoting Samuel001: He's only played the "becoming Bond" version of Bond and not really the real thing yet, as he will in Bond 23. Let's see how he does then.
    Good point, and that's probably why I don't jive with him too much yet. Bond 23 will really let us know where he's going with the character.
  • We already know what sort of Bond DC is going to be...just look at TD in both of his films and DC's performance is a slightly more xxx version without the looks.

SC first, TD, GL, DC, PB........................................................................and lastly RM