Anyone here ever play James Bond 007: Role-Playing In Her Majesty's Secret Service?

edited February 2013 in 007 Gaming Posts: 90
I was a very active player and game master back in the 80s and played the game many times. I ran a 00 character named Brian Power who was 008.

It was not the best of systems but we had a lot of fun

I still have all the adventures and core rules just dont have the time to play.

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Yes! Love these RPGs - the cover art, box set presentation - I collect them. Really enjoyed playing these in the late 80s and early 90s. I managed to find many of them brand new and cheap in the early 90s - now days they're classed as 'collectible' and they cost a bomb - especially the 'Villains' boxset which I'm searching for. My favourite cover box was Dr No. I enjoy reading through one every year or so.
    Yes. Still have all the manuals, modules, etc.
    Same here. God, I loved this game ! I mastered some interesting parties in my younger days, I'm telling you that. Including a crossover with Call of Cthuluh, believe it or not. I even had a scenario published in a trade magazine once.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sadly I was too young for these (I was born in 1984) but I am certainly very interested in them and even started a thread on them over on the AJB forum though I think it was later closed as there was another similar thread. I wouldn't mind getting one of these Bond RPGs some time myself.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 2,721
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Sadly I was too young for these (I was born in 1984) but I am certainly very interested in them and even started a thread on them over on the AJB forum though I think it was later closed as there was another similar thread. I wouldn't mind getting one of these Bond RPGs some time myself.

The basic starter package is available relatively cheap on eBay. And some of the modules too (OP, DN, GF are around and affordable). It's worth getting the starter package at least. Also, if you search the net the modules are available as free PDFs I think. Worth hunting out, great fun. And a lot of care and craft taken with them by the creators (especially compared to the slap-dash, grab-a-buck nature of the later video games)
    Plus, one of the writers for the RPG later became a Bond continuation novels author : Raymond Benson. In fact, elements of one of his modules, "Back Of Beyond", made an appearance in his first novel (the escape shoes).
    edited June 2016 Posts: 2,721
    Gerard wrote: »
    Plus, one of the writers for the RPG later became a Bond continuation novels author : Raymond Benson. In fact, elements of one of his modules, "Back Of Beyond", made an appearance in his first novel (the escape shoes).

Yes, Benson is good with Bond plots, even if his style is very different to fleming's but i think Eon should approach him to see what kind of stories he could come up with. Not full scripts - just story lines.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Same here. God, I loved this game ! I mastered some interesting parties in my younger days, I'm telling you that. Including a crossover with Call of Cthuluh, believe it or not. I even had a scenario published in a trade magazine once.

A Cthuluh/Bond crossover sounds mad! Was it Bond investigating a cult? I guess the Spectre octopus is a little Lovecraftian!

When I gamemastered the AVTAK module, I had the player (who was playing as James Bond) confronted by SFPD homicide inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan after the murder at city hall.
    Just picked up the 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' module which has four solo games included. Didn't know they did those - although I suspect they're a variant on the old fighting fantasy book model. They released this one in 86 or 87 and the rights for Spectre were a mess so they changed the plot slightly. To complete the collection only need to get two more of these modules - the 'Villains' and 'Gamemaster' packs. It's a shame they didn't keep going with these - apparently they were working on a Diamonds Are Forever module when they stopped publishing in 1987 - and I'd imagine The Living Daylights would have been next. The only ones they didn't do we're From Russia With Love (this would have been a little slight on action), Thunderball (again McClory rights reasons I suppose), Diamonds are forever, The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker. Those last two would have been custom made for the RPG system!
    Now have the full collection - got to say as a casual D&D fan back in the early 80s - I always enjoyed the artwork and creativity of RPGs. Don't know if I'll find the time or people to play these again - but it's great to read through them. The full set - instruction supplements: Basic Set, Q Maunal, For Your Information, Thrilling Locations, Villains (includes 'Smersh' module). Game Modules: Dr No, Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Live and Let Die, The Man With The Golden Gun, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View To A Kill, Goldinger 2: The Man With The Midas Touch and You Only Live Twice 2: Back of Beyond (written by Raymond Benson where Bond goes to Australia!) the OHMSS module is interesting because it has four solitare games that play similarly to the old fighting fantasy dice book games. Spectre is nowhere to be seen due to legal wranglings so YOLT and OHMSS plots are changed significantly. Next stop is to get all the 'Action Episode' Games - these were board games rather than RPGs and there were five released - Goldfinger (escape in the DB5 scene), You only Live twice (little Nellie battle), Live and let Die (boat chase), Man with the golden gun (funhouse stalk and shoot) and Assault (which is basically the volcano lair assault from YOLT).
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I've never heard of these. Are they board games of some description? Forgive my ignorance but "the OHMSS module is interesting because it has four solitare games that play similarly to the old fighting fantasy dice book games" means nothing to me.
    stag wrote: »
    I've never heard of these. Are they board games of some description? Forgive my ignorance but "the OHMSS module is interesting because it has four solitare games that play similarly to the old fighting fantasy dice book games" means nothing to me.

These are role playing games that you play with two or (ideally) more people. Each person plays a character - all being led through a Bond adventure by a 'game master' who works as a narrator or director of the story. Much like Dungeons and Dragons. As a player, you create your character, then go in to the adventure and have to make decisions and roll dice for situations (using you stealth, seduction, tolerance for torture, intelligence, marksmanship etc) depending on your roll you survive and succeed or fail and die. The game master controls the flow of the game and explains what is happening in each scene and the consequences of those actions. He or she could be your Terence young, guy Hamilton or Peter hunt!

OHMSS is a solitaire game - meaning you can play by yourself with just dice and an instruction booklet. It is less varied and not as interactive. But you can play solo which is appealing.

The other five action episodes in mentioned at the end are board games. Slightly intricate but can be played simply with two people.

They were released by victory games in the 80s. Have a look on Wikipedia for more information under James Bond roleplaying games - victory games, should be plenty of info. Hope you find a couple and keen to hear whether you enjoy them! I love the artwork. And it is a surprisingly fast flowing game once you get set up (that's the time consuming part!)
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Thanks for that, it sounds interesting.