"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Anyway, I am so so hugely excited about the new Trek series. THIS will be a highlight for me in 2017. And I'm surely going to buy "Star Trek: Discovery" on BluRay 4K.

After seeing the new teaser trailer and the design of the USS Discovery, I think Bond fans are interested in this article. And that Ken Adam originally was the first designer of the Phase II Enterprise, on which the USS Discovery is based on:

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/planet-of-the-titans-the-film-that-wasnt/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Star Trek Discovery = STD ;) Snarky joke aside I hope it's great but I'm not crazy about the ship.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Me neither, not a fan. :(
    Me neither, not a fan. :(

What do you mean?
    I don't like the design of the ship, I was agreeing with talos 7.
    I don't like the design of the ship, I was agreeing with talos 7.

Ah well, as long as the stories are much better than the previous two Star Trek shows.

More quotes from this weekend's ComicCon. And especially THIS quote makes me almost cry, both of happiness and sadness. THIS is why we desperately need "Star Trek" ^:)^ :
    "Star Trek: Discovery" showrunner Bryan Fuller: “The state of this country right now terrifies me and saddens me and I feel like we need something like Star Trek to remind us that, collectively as a human race we’re going to get our shit together, and we’re going to build a better future, and we have to start working much harder on that today.
    Michael Dorn (Worf): “I think they had it correct. We’re at a place in our society where there was a lot of hope back in the 60s and 70s about where we would be in the 2000s, and I think we haven’t lived up to that hope. I think that that is, from what I hear…this is the first I’ve really heard from the producers about what they want to do…I think that’s very important.

THAT'S what "Star Trek" is all about. Portraying an optimistic, positive future, and NOT a negative, sad, pessimistic, angry and dystopian one.
    http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/exclusive-star-trek-discovery-producers-on-ships-design-shows-themes/
    Apparently, the design of the new USS Discovery is also very much canon. The actual design appeared in some episodes and movies that were situated in the Prime Universe: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Planet_of_the_Titans

Here you see the decommisioned USS B-24-CLN, as part of the Surplus Depot Z15 in orbit of Qualor II in Sector 213, in the episode "Unification", season 5, "Star Trek: The Next Generation":
    QDZvzW0.png
    TBM4BvS.png

And here you see the design of this peculiar ship in the movie "Star Trek III: The Search For Spock":
    jNUPSTs.png

And here you have the actual study model of the B-24-CLN:
    e1CaHUx.png
    And the B-24-CLN study model was actually based on the first drawings of the Phase II Enterprise model. The first drawings were made by no one less than our beloved Ken Adam. And the model was created by Derek Meddings:
    AH1Ae65.png

So, based on all information above, the design of the USS Discovery is actually viewed as canon in the Prime Timeline, somewhere between 2293, stardate 09715.5 (When Captain John Harriman takes over from Captain Kirk as captain of the USS Enterprise (B) in the movie "Star Trek: Generations". All "The Original Series"-movies were set in the 23rd century) and 2364, stardate 41153.7 (When Captain Picard becomes the captain of the USS Enterprise (D) in the pilot episode "Encounter At Farpoint". "The Next Generation" was the first Trek-series set in the 24th century).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Gustav_Graves

As if anyone ever said that Star Trek should be about, and I quote: THAT'S what "Star Trek" is all about. Portraying an optimistic, positive future, and NOT a negative, sad, pessimistic, angry and dystopian one. quote end.

And it never was anyway and never will be.

Even DS9, which showed the most conflicts between races and humans always stayed true to Roddenberry's vision imho. But it also expanded that vision. DS9 is the standard the new show will be compared to.

It will be hard to be as good. Still I have faith they will do it right.

I hate that certain "fan" circles of Star Trek demand "a deep vision and reflection of today's society" in a new Star Trek show. Why for Heaven's Sake. It's not a masterclass it's entertainment.

As long as the new characters will be anything in quality like their many predecessors, the new show will be fine.
    @Gustav_Graves

I hate that certain "fan" circles of Star Trek demand "a deep vision and reflection of today's society" in a new Star Trek show. Why for Heaven's Sake. It's not a masterclass it's entertainment.

Man, don';t 'hate' so much. "Star Trek" is bigger than both of our opinions.
    Star Trek has taught me a few things, and help reinforce my beliefs in equality etc.....but
    I do like a good space battle , girls in short dresses, big chested aliens and guys in red
    shirts dying first. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    While I've only been a fan of Star Trek for 9 years, I've certainly become all the better for it. If it wasn't for that catchy theme song, I may have missed out on something great. :)
    I like these ones more though ;-):

"The Next Generation" main titles (with season 5 'main title flares'):

"Voyager" main titles:
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 6,432

This is why Star Trek is great... EPIC! ^:)^

One of my favourite TNG Episodes.

One of my favourite TNG Episodes.

Mine too!! I absolutely adored that episode. It's an intelligent episode, that really portrays the vision of Roddenberry in the best way possible.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 6,432
    http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-star-trek-episodes/

50 greatest Star Trek episodes according to Empire

It's a very good list I can't argue with #1 though I would have had Balance of Terror much higher.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Measure Of A Man got the extended treatment on the Blu-ray release and is even better that way.

Bottle episodes had a clear tendency to become the best episodes in Star Trek series.

Here are 20 of my favourite episodes in random order from all 5 TV-Shows (and I could name another 20 easily, hell another 40...)

- Yesterday's Enterprise
    - Balance Of Terror
    - The Galileo Seven
    - Carbon Creek
    - One
    - Cause And Effect
    - The Way Of The Warrior
    - Regeneration
    - The Ascent
    - In Purgatory's Shadow
    - By Inferno's Light
    - Space Seed
    - Broken Bow
    - Trials And Tribble-ations
    - Scorpion
    - Timeless
    - All Good Things...
    - Shockwave
    - The City On The Edge Of Forever
    - Bride Of Chaotica!
    I got my facts wrong, The inspiration for the new USS Discovery wasn't Ralph McQuarrie, He did artwork for the ship, but the one who actually designed it was our very own Ken Adam. Here were some design Sketches he made.

_PlanetofTitansStudyModel.gif
    Sadly I still don't like the triangular engineering section. :(
    I'm interested in what the interior of the ship will look like. :)
    Me too, I'd love to see a series set inbetween ENT and TOS.
    The hint with the serial number I think is more to do with the fact its NCC-1031, and not NCC-1031 A or B or E etc.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Me too, I'd love to see a series set inbetween ENT and TOS.

I think that's going to happen indeed.

Just look at the NCC-number from the USS Discovery. It's NCC-1013 is higher than NX-01, but lower than NCC-1701.

So the timeline of "Star Trek: Discovery" could cover all the years between the final events of " Star Trek: Enterprise" (year & stardate: 2155) and the events of the pilot episode of "Star Trek: The Original Series" (year: 2265; stardate: 1312.4).

As all of you know, I am a big fan of season 4 of "Star Trek: Enterprise". And I can't wait to see how "Star Trek: Discovery" digs into the geopolitics of the United Federation of Planets. That 'planetary union' must have been a rough ride in the early years of its foundation. Just look at the current European Union and NATO.

Furthermore, we do get way more conflicts. We already say the first treacherous traits of the Romulan Star Empire in "Star Trek: Enterprise". But also the Cold War-esque tensions between the Klingon Empire and the Federation in the 23rd century, eventually leading to War with the Klingons in 2267.

So this new TV Series....is shaping up to become my thingie :-P.
    I'd be really interested to see something pre The Cage. Maybe like the beginning of the 23rd Century, before the USS Kelvin. 2200 to 2240 would be a nice time frame to explore.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    http://nerdist.com/watch-as-the-original-star-trek-enterprise-model-is-restored-by-the-smithsonian/
    This is pretty awesome, got chills at the end a thing of beauty.
    It's a very beautiful restoration. Very well done. Since TOS is turning 50, I made this wallpaper a little while back as a tribute. :)
    kVNVxxTh.jpg
    That's pretty cool @Murdock, like how you have alligned the crew to a vanishing point.
    Thanks @fire_and_ice. :)