ALIEN Franchise

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Aliens is more of an action movie. I find that boring.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This.

Like I said, loved it as a kid, and if I watch it as a pure action-fest, then it's absolutely fantastic still. I just prefer the more sinister loneliness of the original now.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    This.

Like I said, loved it as a kid, and if I watch it as a pure action-fest, then it's absolutely fantastic still. I just prefer the more sinister loneliness of the original now.

Yeah I like em both but Alien will always be one of my favourite films. I just love it's eerie atmosphere and HR Giger's surreal designs.

It's good that the films are so different. I like the way Cameron built and expanded on the original film without just remaking it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I like 'Alien' and 'Aliens' almost equally, and one of the many reasons why is that they're two entirely different movies to me, which is great. They could've gone with a similar sequel that had a relatively clueless crew getting cut down by a Xenomorph one by one, but they took it in a different direction. I love them both.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, that's true and I agree. They are distinct but both quite enjoyable in their own way. For its time Aliens must have been incredible because the special effects and action were really something else.
    Watched Aliens in honer of the 30th anniversary. Great movie and I'm really hoping Niel Bs movie is still a go.
    @fjdinardo, it is, he's just waiting for 'Alien: Covenant' to release. I believe Ridley Scott asked him if he wouldn't mind waiting for him to film the 'Prometheus' sequel before Blomkamp did his 'Alien 5.'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @fjdinardo, it is, he's just waiting for 'Alien: Covenant' to release. I believe Ridley Scott asked him if he wouldn't mind waiting for him to film the 'Prometheus' sequel before Blomkamp did his 'Alien 5.'

ok good good. I really want this movie to happen especially since Neil said it will ignore Alien 3 & 4 which were complete abortions imo
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Alien is a classic horror film, Aliens is a classic action thriller, Alien 3 should have been great but was plagued by an interfering studio and poor special effects, 4 is watchable yet forgettable and Prometheous is interesting, entertaining and underrated.

I don't think of Prometheus as part of the Alien films.

I put off seeing it for a long time as I didn't want it to infringe on my enjoyment of Alien. I don't want to know where those eggs came from, who the 'Space Jockey' was or why that giant craft came to be there. The mystery was what made Alien so cool. We know as much as the crew of the Nostromo.

While Prometheus looks great and has a marvellous score. It's a major disappointment coming from Ridley Scott. To further the plot the characters do dumb things. Great scriptwriting....

See, for me, I wanted to know where those eggs came from, who the 'Space Jockey' was or why that giant craft came to be there.
    I stopped watching after Aliens (1986) and I don't know why anyone bothered with Alien 3 or Alien 4
    I like 'Alien 3' simply for the fact that Charles Dance is in it, it had a good idea (just poor execution, especially that awful CG Xenomorph), and it was Fincher directed. Could've been much better, though.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I stopped watching after Aliens (1986) and I don't know why anyone bothered with Alien 3 or Alien 4
    How did you know 3 was bad without seeing it back then? No internet, lol ;)

I was sort of under the impression that most people at least saw 3. Now 4 I get- that just looked terrible and unnecessary (Ripley clone)

Did you not like Aliens?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    ALIEN: COVENANT gets a 200 million budget according to wiki. Either they're aiming for the very best visuals ever or they're going to campaign the hell out of this. Furthermore, is it wrong that I'd much rather have the Neill Blomkamp project, now shelved in favour of Scott's film?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 5,767
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    ALIEN: COVENANT gets a 200 million budget according to wiki. Either they're aiming for the very best visuals ever or they're going to campaign the hell out of this. Furthermore, is it wrong that I'd much rather have the Neill Blomkamp project, now shelved in favour of Scott's film?
    Hard to say, @DD. Prometheus was the best thing happening to the Alienverse, basically explaining the background without being direct, and with only rudimentary hints at the facehugger and the idea of a xenomorph, and with no Ripley. Blomkamp got weaker with every film, while Scott at least knows how to conjure up a moody surrounding and splendid pace.
    On the other hand, there appears to appear a xenomorph in A:C, which threatens to lead back to nostalgia. And, paradoxically, the idea of Ripley´s makeshift family in Blomkamp´s film appears less nostalgic but more of a closure, if one bases it upon the director´s cut of Aliens.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi I am very, very hyped for Alien Covenant. But, Alien 5 looks to be very 'sexy' due to Neil Blomkamp directing (I loved District 9, Elysium and Chappie, the guy is a genius).
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,447
    On April 26th, my local theatre will be featuring, one night only, Ridley Scott's ALIEN. Can you imagine how jazzed I am right now? I have I can't tell you how many times seen this film at home and finally, for the first and probably only time, I get to see one of my favourite films of all time on a large screen. Funny thing, the only other "reprise" event I've ever attended, besides STEAMBOAT BILL JR. is BLADE RUNNER, also by Ridley Scott.

Anyway, I've got two tickets and my girlfriend, who is very much horror challenged, has promised to join me. ;-)
    I'm glad that they shelved Alien 5. I never like it when someone comes along with an idea to craft a sequel that ignores, in this case, quite literally half of the existing franchise, which is what Alien 5 would have done, bringing Michael Biehn's character back and essentially saying that everything we witnessed in Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection never happened.

Either work with what the franchise has to offer or don't bother, especially when we're talking about a director who really doesn't have the cache necessary to alter the franchise that was created by one legend of cinema (Scott) and solidified as one of the great science-fiction franchises by another legend of the industry (Cameron).
    After the 'Alien: Covenant' footage I've seen, I think I would've preferred seeing that 'Alien 5' that was mentioned. The prospect of that had me much more intrigued than what I've been seeing in these trailers.
    I think it really all comes to down what you think of Blomkamp in terms of which side of the spectrum one might fall. For those that think he's a genius, I would imagine that they are clamoring to see Alien 5, and rightfully so in that case, as I don't think that anyone would argue that Scott has really lost a step in recent years with the films he's been releasing. I think that those who think Blomkamp is incredibly overrated (the camp into which I will admit to falling), then a mediocre effort from Scott in order to stave off wholesale changes by someone we don't see fit to carry on the franchise seems like the more optimal direction to take, if there needs to be a continuation of the franchise.
    I'm not a fan of Blomkamp, to be honest, but the ideas he had combined with how much love he seems to have for the series did have me interested. It's not like 'Alien 3' and 'Alien Resurrection' were hallmark staples of the series, so I wouldn't have minded a bit of retcon work to have his film take place after the events of 'Aliens.'

Scott's promise of doing these sequels infinitely if there's an interest is a bit frightening. He doesn't have the magic he once had, which makes this new one look like a generic horror movie combined with branching the ideas and prospects of 'Prometheus', including the utilization of clueless science officers (yawn - already did that in 'Prometheus.' Can't get behind a bunch of elite people selected for a precious, one-in-a-billion job such as this who are clueless and incompetent.)
    I loved Prometheus, although I recognize it could have been much, much better. The visuals are extraordinary, and I used that film to adjust my big screen tv when I purchased it. The experience after optimization was nothing short of thrilling.

I'm sure Alien Covenant will blow us away. The best bits probably aren't in the trailer.
    Prometheus is a real grower, the more often I watch it, the better it gets. I wouldn´t be surprised at all if Prometheus is a cult film in the near future.

@DarthDimi, congrats you lucky bastard. Although I might mention that years ago I had the privilege of seeing the director´s cut of Alien in the cinema. Unfortunately, I wasn´t ready enough to understand the film. Now, if I should zap into the film on tv, I would be utterly unable to zap on, no matter which of the versions it might be.
    I have seen all the Alien films in the cinema.
    @boldfinger, thanks. I'm really looking forward to that event. Just two more weeks. :)
    @Thunderfinger, you saw ALIENS in the cinema? I'm really jealous. :)
    I will admit that I rewatched 'Prometheus' a couple of months back (third time seeing it) and it was the best viewing I had with it. Now that I know what's coming and what to expect, along with making better sense of the story, I do enjoy it a bit more. Still wish it was more horror/Xenomorph driven, but I admire the effort to take it in an entirely different direction with focusing on the Engineers.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 45,489
    @Thunderfinger, you saw ALIENS in the cinema? I'm really jealous. :)[/quote]

I saw a rerun of the first in 1983. All the later films when they came out.
    Character promos for 'Alien: Covenant':

Was much more excited for the proposed Alien 5 to be honest. Loved District 9 and Chappie so the idea of that director getting the sequel we should've gotten all those years ago (killing off Hicks and Newt was unforgivable, and the film itself was nowhere near good enough to make up for it) was very exciting to me. I was also excited for Prometheus 2 as I actually quite enjoyed the first one.

Instead it doesn't seem like I'm getting either of those. It's an out and out Alien film but without the characters I cared about, and it seems too detached from the concept of Prometheus for me to get excited about it as a sequel to that film. It just seems like they're going over old ground, which I'm not necessarily opposed to, but if that's the angle they were going to take I'd rather they'd gone with Blompkamp's idea and carried on the Ripley saga in a way that wasn't insulting to the fans this time.

It does look quite good. Great cast and the trailers have impressed me. I think it's just knowing what we could have got instead that's killed my enthusiasm a bit. I'm sure I'll enjoy it still and I hope it does well enough for us to get the Ripley/Hicks film afterwards.

Also, has anyone played Alien Isolation? Fantastic, really scary game. It's very similar to the original film in terms of setting and atmosphere but at the same time, it stands on its own two feet and actually brings a lot of cool new stuff to the table (those cheap malfunctioning androids were almost as scary as the alien). The story is really well done too. It's set between Alien and Aliens and follows Ripley's daughter trying to find out what happened to her mum.

I honestly think it's good enough to be a film. In my head the real trilogy is Alien, Isolation, and Aliens as the final chapter, with Prometheus (and hopefully Covenant) acting as a nice spinoff/prequel. 3 and 4 don't count.
    I may be the only one who likes all the Alien movies except Aliens.

I haven t seen Alien vs Predator, so can t comment on that.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767
    I don´t have too much faith in Blomkamp, he got weaker with every film. Not that I have every faith in the world in Ridley Scott these days.
    As interesting as Blomkamp´s project sounded, I cherish Scott´s approach of bringing as few characters as possible back. The focus on Ripley in the past limited the potential a lot.