Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

edited June 2016 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
In short, every day or two, there will be two Bond movies on the table, and you just pick which one you think is best. Also, give some reasons why you would pick that one over the other, but if you don't want to, that's fine. Sometimes I don't really know why I like one more than the other, I just do!

Okay, the first two we'll pick are two of the Connery classics, From Russia with Love vs. Thunderball. Take your pick!

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    In short, every day or two, there will be two Bond movies on the table, and you just pick which one you think is best. Also, give some reasons why you would pick that one over the other, but if you don't want to, that's fine. Sometimes I don't really know why I like one more than the other, I just do!

Okay, the first two we'll pit together are two of the Connery classics, From Russia with Love and Thunderball. Take your pick!

@Dimi already said he was going to start a vs. thread, and good thing. They are starting to cause annoyance. Since you started this you should inform @Dimi. I'm sure he'll let this thread be used as the primary v.s. thread on MI6 and all the other threads can be closed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TB.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited January 2012 Posts: 7,854
    TB. It has the better plot and my two favorite Connery gadgets: The DB5 and the jetpack.
    Thunderball.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't choose. Both are tops for Connery. When I am in the mood for a classic espionage bout, FRWL gets the job done, and when I want a crazy adventure both on land and under the sea, TB is what I watch. Both are so superb, and so utterly Bond.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited January 2012 Posts: 3,262
    Definitely TB. My favorite Bond film of all. It features Connery at his most superconfident and is the only Bond film to combine the stylish direction of Terence Young with the big budget, Panavision widescreen, epic sensibilities of the later films in the series.
    Both are great for me... but FRWL is my 1 while TB 5 in my ranking.
    00Beast wrote:

Okay, the first two we'll pit together are two of the Connery classics, From Russia with Love and Thunderball. Take your pick!

@Dimi already said he was going to start a vs. thread, and good thing. They are starting to cause annoyance. Since you started this you should inform @Dimi. I'm sure he'll let this thread be used as the primary v.s. thread on MI6 and all the other threads can be closed.

Yeah, I didn't notice the warning thing he put up until after I made this one. Hopefully it'll stay up!
    ^
    I don't see why not. @Dimi has always been a kind mod.
    ^

Agreed!

And as for my pick, I say that From Russia with Love is the better of the two. It was, if I remember correctly, the first Bond movie I saw, so that's a bonus. Other than pure nostalgia, it's a great Cold War Bond movie with plenty of spying, a magnificent performance by Sean Connery, if not his best, and amazing villains. Also, even though FRWL doesn't have as much action as some of the others in the series, I like how it is still entertaning because of the direction style. We need the action it gives us, but it is the perfect amount while still being very thrilling. The locations aren't much good though, but that's the only thing I can pin on FRWL.
    00Beast wrote:
    ^

Agreed!

And as for my pick, I say that From Russia with Love is the better of the two. It was, if I remember correctly, the first Bond movie I saw, so that's a bonus. Other than pure nostalgia, it's a great Cold War Bond movie with plenty of spying, a magnificent performance by Sean Connery, if not his best, and amazing villains. Also, even though FRWL doesn't have as much action as some of the others in the series, I like how it is still entertaning because of the direction style. We need the action it gives us, but it is the perfect amount while still being very thrilling. The locations aren't much good though, but that's the only thing I can pin on FRWL.

I loved the locations. Istanbul just looked cool, and still sticks in my mind, and we got some great shots of Venice. FRWL also gets bonus points for having an Ian Fleming cameo! :-bd
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Agreed! FRWL is bar far one of the better Bond movies!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Fleming has a cameo in FRWL?! With as many times I've seen it, how have I missed him? What part and where is he?
    Agreed! FRWL is bar far one of the better Bond movies!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Fleming has a cameo in FRWL?! With as many times I've seen it, how have I missed him? What part and where is he?

I love catching people who haven't seen it yet. You will see a shot of the train rolling by at the top of a sort of low hill near the 1hour and 16 minute mark. In the shot is a man in a white shirt, gray pants, and a white cane. That there is Ian Fleming himself.
  • I watched them so long ago I don't even remember them. I just remember that assassination scene in the train from FRWL and I loved it.
    From Russia With Love by a country mile, seen both of these fairly recently, have always found Thunderball a bit slow and boring, FRWL is probably my fave Connery performance, the plot is lean and of course that classic fight on the train.
    This is a tough one but i will go for FRWL,the fight on the Orient Express is brilliant,in fact all the train scenes are.
    But i do like TB as well,these 2 are #1 and #4 in my rankings at the moment.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    00Beast wrote:

Meanie!

It's a tough one, but, I have to go for

From Russia With Love.

However both are in my top three.

Difficult to chose.
    I love the intrigue and cold war drama and the tense scenes on the train of FRWL
    TB had the beautiful underwater photography, excitement, Fione Volpe, and that good soundtrack.
    I will have to toss a coin:
    Tails-FRWL wins
  • TB. TB and NSNA are my fave connery films (goldfinger comes pretty close though), I just love the plot, the villians, everything!!!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    From Russia With Love. From start to finish, this is cinema gold.
  • I'll go for TB as it's more visually spectacular and iconic, but FRWL has equally terrific acting, characterisation, a brilliant plot and some superb gadgets. Oh, and Grant, Kronsteen and Klebb. And Morzeny. Hmm, maybe I didn't think this through...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay guys, good idea for this thread.

Perhaps announce a new pair each time by means of adding something to the title. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Okay guys, good idea for this thread.

Perhaps announce a new pair each time by means of adding something to the title. ;-)

Or just name it The Official Bond Versus Thread, and number the v.s. matches. So this would be v.s. #1, the next #2 and so on. Just include the v.s. number in parenthesis next to the thread title every time a new pair are announced. Just a suggestion.
    FRWL
    As of now, FRWL has 9 votes, and TB has 6 votes.
    I did say I wasn't going to vote, but...

FRWL
    Now FRWL has 10! Thanks Brady!
  • FRWL

FRWL has the better villains, story, and bond girl. Plus it doesn't tend to drag at points like TB can.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    TB is a great Sunday - or whatever day-of-the-week - afternoon movie, but FRWL is the superior flick. Ultimately, watching the latter is the more fulfilling experience...
  • FRWL is a classic but thunderball is great too