A new look MI6

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
Time flies. Today we relaunched MI6-HQ.com in a new format to better serve modern audiences on mobiles and tablets. We went back to the very foundations of the site and started again, whilst keeping the tens of thousands of pages online and the MI6 ‘DNA’ alive. Content under the new system should now dynamically redesign itself to better suit whatever device you are viewing it on.

That means if you’re 15 years-old or younger, for your entire lifetime, MI6 has been running the same fundamental code base to keep the world’s most popular James Bond website up and running. For the technical members of our audience, we developed the custom MI6 content management and rendering system in 2001 based on core PHP and MySQL functionality. So ‘core’ in fact, that despite web technology constantly changing, nothing broke or was deprecated during all those years.

Our front page articles and news feed remains the focus of the operation and will continue to be the most updated 007 resource online. We’ve added the ability for third-party ’link outs’ from headlines to bring updates to you even faster. We also have a dedicated YouTube channel that will be curated with video content from the archives. Sharing on social media is now easier with integrated buttons on pages. As well as the front page articles and news stories, there is content on MI6 that goes all the way back to the beginning in 1998. A good chunk of that encyclopedic content as already been moved to the new system, but some of the more obscure pages may be in the old format for some time as we’re tackling sections in order of popularity.

As anyone who has moved house will know, packing and unpacking is the chore that nobody enjoys. We hope you agree it was worth it.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That sounds great - thank you for all that you do to make this the best online James Bond community that there is!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    With added adverts on some pages I see !.
  • What Draggers said. I don't mind a few ads. Content-wise, this forum rules -- and community-wise I don't think there's a finer site anywhere! As the song says, "Nobody does it better!"
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think the FP looks great to be honest. Ads can be dealt with.
    "Nobody does it better!"

Seconded!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Can't beat a bit of " Botox" ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Everything looks great!
  • GagReathleGagReathle France
    edited July 2016 Posts: 38
    It looks great! But I noticed that some pages don't look good, such as this one : https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/gegame2010/
    I don't know if it's just for me.
    That page is a bit messed up.
    I'm 39. Reading this makes me feel old. Can't wait to check the YouTube channel.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Can we upload images directly to the site now?
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited July 2016 Posts: 308
    stag wrote: »
    I think (99,99% certain) that the forum and the website are two seperate sites. So I think no.

I'm wondering what kind of technique the new site is build on? PHP I guess, but is there a CMS or something behind it - or is it still based on the same core?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    stag wrote: »
    I think (99,99% certain) that the forum and the website are two seperate sites. So I think no.

I'm wondering what kind of technique the new site is build on? PHP I guess, but is there a CMS or something behind it - or is it still based on the same core?
    They are (as you can easily see looking at the domain name). Well done to the MI6 team! It looks great!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Looking good! I think the YouTube inclusion will be a great idea.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2019 Posts: 17,727
    I meant to add above that I too am looking forward very much to the new YouTube channel. That's a great idea!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think MI6-HQ already has a preexisting YouTube channel, don't they?
    Hello fellow time flies, you know I am lall over that youtbe channel! Congratiultioans on the upgrade, I don't normally my tablet for things that are above the belt but I checked here with it and it looked like Her Majesty's House of Bond News and it really took me there thank you so much.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Great upgrade! :D