The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

They probably want to release it on a Friday the 13th, but the only ones next year are in January and October. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Taking place in the 70's-80's, possibly seeing both of Jason's parents, with him starring alongside Pamela. Not sure how that'll work, guess we'll see! I'd be surprised if it's done in time for January.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm not sure if including both parents is such a good idea, and if only one of Jason's parents are in the film, then keep them to a minimum. Elias Voorhees very nearly made it into Jason Goes To Hell at one point during the films development. I'm not too bothered which parent features, if either is even in the film. Everyone knows the backstory, whether they are a fan or not. That is how entrench in pop culture the series it. I would rather they steer away from any backstory. Preferably set the film in the early-mid 1990's, post Jason Takes Manhattan, pre Jason Goes To Hell. Though it looks a certainty that this one will be set in the 1980's, and in it's own bubble.
    The way that article sounds, it almost makes it out to be a Jason-and-Pamela movie, whereas I'd rather one (or both) parents take a back seat and don't appear as often as our beloved killer does. Either way, I know the script is in good hands, so hopefully they don't muck it up. Keep it simple, keep it fun, and give us a great assortment of semi-likable teens to root for as they're picked off one by one in brutal, unique ways. That's all I ask.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Exactly. It's not a complicated equation. Jason + Crystal Lake + the usual character types +an assortment of inventive kills. Oh yes, and the snowy setting. If this one gets the series up and running, then i'd like to see the Soska sisters write and direct the next one.
    I feel like that's the state of a lot of beloved franchises: the attempt to overcomplicate them or make them totally unique usually tends to take away from what made them so amazing in the first place. Just like Bond: Bond + weapons + women + quips + a nefarious villain + escapism and fun + unique stunts = great movie.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Has anyone seen these 2 french horror films: 'Haute Tension' and 'Frontier(s)'? They look extremely gory and violent, and after 'The Descent' and 'Dog Soldiers', I'm in for more hardcore horror films.
    Haute Tension, yes. That movie made quite the splash when it was released, and the main woman was in talks to become a Bond girl in fact!
    Thanks for reminding me- I'm due for a rewatch of that! ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,686
    You're welcome, @Master_Dahark! ;)

@Creasy47 @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

After a bit of web searching, I seem to have found a selection of high gory/violent/disturbing/intense horror films:

'Haute Tension', 'À L'Interieur' ('Inside'), 'Martyrs', 'Eden Lake', 'Rec' (that one I've seen already), 'Frontier(s)', 'Irreversible', 'La Horde'.

Should I check them out, guys? ;;)
    I haven't seen any of those, though I have heard a bit about a certain scene in Irreversible. It sounds like it is going to be uncomfortable to watch.
  • So I got bored and I've been really enjoying re-watching the Friday the 13th franchise at the moment so I made this, using the audio from the new 'The Woods' trailer:

I hope the film will live up to the expectations of your trailer, @MadeleineSwann. :) Damn shame we won't see Mears' Jason anymore. I can still remember seeing that shot of Jason running toward the audience from the trailer, for the first time. June is almost up, a January release would be a fast turnaround. I think we should be prepared for another release date shift to October.
    Forgot to mention it, but the new 'IT' is now shooting! They spotted Skarsgard on set, unfortunately not in costume. You know he's been in costume already. Would love to see it.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3398024/ive-read-halloween-returns-screenplay-marcus-dunstan-patrick-melton/

Dr Loomis: “Him? You speak of Michael Myers as if he were just a man. He is not a man, Dr. Rogers. He never was. He’s simply… and purely… Evil.“

When I read that, I could clearly hear Donald Pleasance's voice in my head.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Indeed. It sounds like a good Halloween line stoically spoken by Pleasance.
    Dam that sounds fantastic
    Damn, this didn't take long at all! Here's our first look at the new Pennywise in the upcoming 'IT' two-parter:

http://collider.com/it-movie-pennywise-image/
    Any thoughts or comments on these three films?
    1. Wake Wood
    2. Altered
    3. Come out and Play

We have a video store here that keeps a large inventory of such rare films. I'm considering renting these for the weekend.
    Interesting, I just read that The Woods is actually a big budget 'non-found-footage' remake of The Blair Witch Project!

If they handle this correctly this could really revitalize the long dead series
    According to this article, Blair Witch (formerly The Woods) is apparently another sequel to The Blair Witch Project.

Regardless of whether it's a remake or a sequel (heck, it could end up being both knowing Hollywood these days), they've released a trailer for it. Looks pretty bad, to be honest, which is a shame.
    You're right! Looks like they went ahead and changed the title too! I can't help but wonder if The Woods was an original idea and late into production someone got the idea to just make it Blair Witch, to get more attention....

Here's one very positive review from ComicCon, however:

blair-witch-1.jpg

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-blair-witch-comic-con-2016-951
    People have given it some glowing reviews, but then again, lots of people loved the original movie, which I found to be incredibly boring.
    I've never watched any of the Blair Witch movies. I probably should, being a horror fan and all, but found-footage stuff just annoys me (and sometimes makes me nauseous)
    I've seen the first two, but you're not missing out on anything, @jackdagger. There are many other horror films I would recommend instead.
    BW 1 is worth at least one viewing. BW 2 is ... BW 2 is ... BW 2 is - okay, look, I'm trying to find the proper words but I'm afraid I'd have to drop too many f- and s-bombs.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    BW 1 is worth at least one viewing. BW 2 is ... BW 2 is ... BW 2 is - okay, look, I'm trying to find the proper words but I'm afraid I'd have to drop too many f- and s-bombs.

I'd have to agree. I haven't seen it in a long while, so my views of it may have changed since I last saw it, but it's worth a viewing, if for no other reason than the extremely effective ending. I remember being sufficiently creeped out when I first saw that.

Can't comment on the second one. Haven't seen it. Don't intend to.
    I was still in high school when The Blair Witch Project came out and I can assure you, back then that shit was scary. Back then, there was nothing else like it. For a while lots of people even thought it was a true story (literally found footage). It was the Titanic of horror!
    Plus, living in Maryland gave it an extra edge for me personally.

Of course, nowadays the movie is laughable and pretty boring. I remember wanting to like the sequel but found it very bland as well. I haven't seen that one since it came out.

I'm very curious to see this new one!
  • I made another FT13 fan trailer :) I've used clips from other films and edited audio from the Southbound trailer. Let me know what you think:

Well done! :) I love that you included clips from Evil Dead.
    @Creasy47 @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe

Have any of you heard of this?

Looks insane. I need this now.