Films You Are Embarrassed to Admit You Haven't Seen

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @fire_and_ice, and these are films you're embarrassed to admit you haven't seen? I'd announce that statement with great relish if I were you.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Ha ha just realised that I should read thread titles, not embarrassed at all though some appear to be popular culture that I am oblivious too :)) blissfully oblivious.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm in the Gone with the Wind camp, as well. I couldn't get paid enough to see that, and if you think I'm an idiot for saying it, all I have to say to you is, "I don't give a damn." See what I did there?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm in the Gone with the Wind camp, as well. I couldn't get paid enough to see that, and if you think I'm an idiot for saying it, all I have to say to you is, "I don't give a damn." See what I did there?
    Frankly, Brady? ;)
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,813
    I actually haven't seen that one either- I was more curious to watch Scarlett, the TV sequel with Timothy Dalton as Rhett.

Scarlett_(TV_miniseries).jpg

Coincidentally, it was while filming this, in 1994, no less-- that he officially stopped being Bond :( Damnit, we were THAT close!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited July 2016 Posts: 2,721
    I actually haven't seen that one either- I was more curious to watch Scarlett, the TV sequel with Timothy Dalton as Rhett.

Scarlett_(TV_miniseries).jpg

Coincidentally, it was while filming this, in 1994, no less-- that he officially stopped being Bond :( Damnit, we were THAT close!

When asked if he still wanted to be bond he replied - Frankly my dear Cubby - I don't give a damn
    Like I've said before there are no films I'd be embarrassed to say I haven't seen. If I haven't seen something that I want to see, I hope to see it at some point, and I do watch a lot. And if I'm not interested in watching something then I won't whatever it is. Either way no need to be embarrassed.
    I'd actually be curious to hear an adults opinion of Wizard of Oz, having gone his whole life without seeing it.
    We've all seen that movie as little kids-- probably hundreds of times growing up.

Nostalgia's a bitch sometimes- he may find it boring as hell!

Everyone didn't see it as a kid (maybe every American kid did, so I've been told, but that's not "we all"); I saw it for the first (and so far only) time in my 30s, and frankly wasn't impressed and don't remember much.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Not a big Oz guy, either. I find it grating to sit through, and it represents just how annoying musicals can be.

Funny story: Close to where I live, and in the town where I went to college, it had been said for years that L. Frank Baum, the writer of the original book The Wizard of Oz, had crafted some of it right there. It was apparently a big point of pride for the community, a cool little connection to history and pop culture for them, yada yada. One of my favorite professors at campus told us one day during one of my classes that he had done some research a few years back on Baum and Oz in general for a published article he did, and he invariably uncovered that the man had not written anything in the town and nothing of the kind was on record or supported by his findings. Cue the anger of the community at him for being a party-pooper when his work was published.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd say the biggest "embarrassment" is one that I feel just about everyone has seen but me, and that is 'The Wizard of Oz.'

You're missing nothing, don't worry about it.

Your missing nothing if your talking about The Wiz, otherwise the 1925 and 1939 are well worth a watch.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd say the biggest "embarrassment" is one that I feel just about everyone has seen but me, and that is 'The Wizard of Oz.'

You're missing nothing, don't worry about it.

Your missing nothing if your talking about The Wiz, otherwise the 1925 and 1939 are well worth a watch.

I'm talking about all of them. The story is so ingrained in popular culture now it'd be hard not to know something about it.
    Wiz would need five times the courage of the lion to make it through that movie. I don't think I could even do it now, and I pride myself on finishing every movie I start.
    I've seen the film a couple of times when I was a kid, and I never minded its crudeness back then. Although, it's not a film that I'd revisit at all.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I haven't seen it, or if I have I can't remember the experience. I really have no desire or interest to see it either and actually am not all that familiar with the story (or if I am, I again can't remember).
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 7,500
    Casablanca, North by Northwest, Inception.

And then there are some I don't know if I should be embarrassed about, like Dark Knight Rises and the MI films. Should I?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Mission Impossible should definitely be watched.
    The first one is arguably dated(90's computer stuff, it's funny really) but I've never seen another movie series where each movie gets better as it goes!

* I'd also add that M:I2 is directed by John Woo and very stylized- a polar opposite of the first one. You may love or hate that one- I happen to enjoy it!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. The MI series are well worth a watch, with the more recent ones in particular being superior (imho) to the latest Bond efforts and more of a throwback to older Bond fare.

Definitely Casablanca, North by Northwest and Inception as well.

TDKR? Without a doubt, yes, it's a must see film.

So all of them really.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    2001: A Space Odessey, Fukukatsu's Battles Without Honor and Humanity, Once Upon a Time In America, and Kurosawa's Ran.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The usual suspects
    Fight club
    Jackie Brown
    Avatar (although I heard its a PoS)
    Citizen Kane
    North By North West
    The Big Leboski
    Interstellar
    Dr Strangelove
    Raging Bull
    Goodfellas
    Braveheart
    Annie Hall
    Swingers
    Brazil
    Boogie Nights
    Ghost dog
    @Mendes4Lyfe there's a few on your list that I'm also guilty of not seeing, but definitely put Braveheart & Goodfellas top priority on your next available movie night!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    A lot of people on here seem to be selecting Citizen Kane. However you don't need to be embarrassed about not seeing it, just because it's often sited as the 'best film ever made'.
    The reason it receives such an accolade is because it was such a technically accomplished film in the early 40s. A great script yes, great performances yes, but it was the mood of the film, the camera work, the dramatic way it was shot. Nothing new these days, but ground breaking back then. It won't have an impact on anyone half as noticeable as it did when it was released.

The film equivalent of the Sgt Pepper album. In 1967 no one had seen anything like it (lyrics on the back sleeve for goodness sake!!), heard anything so startling (all those farm yard noises and lyrics about drugs - oo-er). Songs segued and get this - The Beatles had moustaches.

Sgt Pepper which was amazing in 1967 dilutes a little more every ten years, and so does Citizen Kane. It isn't a must see film unless you are a student of film.
    Anybody that appreciates strong character studies should check out Citizen Kane. It's got a lot going on, showing many shades of its characters, investigating how we change over time, how the perceptions of others regarding us alter over time, how media plays its role in reporting life, and how fame and wealth make men myths until their true origins and depth are disguised from everyone but themselves. Kane is a great, fractured and sympathetic character, even when he doesn't deserve that sympathy from the audience. The film is truly a mesmerizing character portrait as we follow a young, innocent boy as he grows into a cruel yet sympathetic old man, and directed, written, and starring an Orson Welles just at the start of his adulthood, barely past 20. It was clear from the outset that he was destined for greatness.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Er, yeah I was going to say that as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Citizen Kane has a great ending, but other than that it doesn t do much for me.
    I haven't seen Citizen Kane to this day. Although, wasn't it a controversial and conspiratorial film of sorts based on a real life public figure?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @ClarkDevlin - yes, supposedly based on newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst. Rosebud the name of (spoiler) Kane's sledge was apparently the moniker WRH gave to his wife's lady parts!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Wild Bunch. I have read a lot about the film, my dad who loves westerns has told me I should see it. Worse still, I have owned a copy of the DVD for a number of years, but I have just never gotten around to sitting down and watching it. I want to, but other films always get in the way.
  • All of the Bourne films except Identity, tried watching Supremacy and Ultimatum but gave up because of the bloody shaky cam.
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    All of the Bourne films except Identity, tried watching Supremacy and Ultimatum but gave up because of the bloody shaky cam.

You Mean; The Money Maker Was Shaky-So You Could Not Watch His BlooDy Shaky Cam...!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    All of the Bourne films except Identity, tried Th Supremacy and Ultimatum but gave up because of the bloody shaky cam.

The 2nd film is one of the best action films I've ever seen.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    All of the Bourne films except Identity, tried watching Supremacy and Ultimatum but gave up because of the bloody shaky cam.
    I'm curious to know your feelings on QoS!