Timothy Dalton's PROPERTY OF A LADY

edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 79
Has anyone else found the recent EVERYTHING OR NOTHING'S doc and Babs/Michael G interviews as fascinating as me? Even if it was to be Tim's last it still would have been great to see a lighter tone after LTK (My uttermost favourite Bond film) still even more interesting to here was that Babs said if Tim had done GOLDENEYE he would have followed up with 2 more.

Comments

im glad that Pierce did Goldeneye but i would have loved to have seen 2 Dalton films for 91 and 93 and Property of a Lady (with Cathrine Zeta Jones would have been amazing)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    002 wrote:
    im glad that Pierce did Goldeneye but i would have loved to have seen 2 Dalton films for 91 and 93 and Property of a Lady (with Cathrine Zeta Jones would have been amazing)
    Hear frickin' hear!!
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    002 wrote:

There would have been more Bond girls if Tim Dalton had 2 more films:

Connie Nielsen

Salma Hayek

Jennifer Connelly

Natasha Henstridge

Holy cow, the list is endless.

Well i heard that either Elizabeth Hurley, Cathrine Zeta Jones or Lucy Liu would have been in The 91 Bond Film (also known as either Property of a lady, whisper of terror or Bond 17) with Anthony Hopkins as the villian (which would have been terrific)

i wish that they could get Dalton and the rest back for a third person video game (like Brosnan's EON) and set it in the classic bond universe)
  • ...was that Babs said if Tim had done GOLDENEYE he would have followed up with 2 more.

I thought Dalton only agreed to play Bond one more time as he didn't like the idea of being the longest serving Bond.

• The main site has a nice summary of it.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_17_intro.php3

It would've been brilliant.

I noticed they've used parts of it since too (the DB5 getting one last run then being destroyed was in SF).
  • While I'm glad some folk like the screenplay, am I the only one who doesn't think much of it? I think it's probably the idea of Bond going up against robots and the latter being made by the Walt Disney company or some firm like that. Now Colonel Sun or GoldenEye for 1992, that would be something...
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Something else I think they've used in SF is the idea of technology making Bonds job pointless. The bit at the party, when the henchman rapell down, Bond draws his gun but they're taken out by the new security system, it sounds like a great scene.
    While I'm glad some folk like the screenplay, am I the only one who doesn't think much of it? I think it's probably the idea of Bond going up against robots and the latter being made by the Walt Disney company or some firm like that. Now Colonel Sun or GoldenEye for 1992, that would be something...

I think it has so many moments that sound like classic Bond that I can overlook the robots. Webb sounds like a great Bond girl too, and Ronin seems like he could've been a classic henchman.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,882
    mdo007 wrote:
    There would have been more Bond girls if Tim Dalton had 2 more films:

Connie Nielsen

Salma Hayek

Jennifer Connelly

Natasha Henstridge

Holy cow, the list is endless.

I could see all those as Bond Girls (especially Henstridge), but I don't think I would pick them for a 1990's Dalton film. Madeleine Stowe, could've been a 90's Dalton era Bond Girl. Pre Basic Instinct (or if she didn't star in the film) Sharon Stone would be another choice.

And I don't honestly think that the robots would have made it into the film. It would have been another of those discarded oddities (DN - Dr No being a monkey, TMWTGG - the elephant stampede etc...).
    the thing that they could compromise was Cybernetic enhancements
  • Just saw the "trailer" on youtube:

OH MY GOD! What would I give to see the movie become a reality. Timothy Dalton explodes from the screen. Two Bond movies were nowhere near enough for Tim.
    He left wwwaaayyyy too soon.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    Has anyone else found the recent EVERYTHING OR NOTHING'S doc and Babs/Michael G interviews as fascinating as me? Even if it was to be Tim's last it still would have been great to see a lighter tone after LTK (My uttermost favourite Bond film) still even more interesting to here was that Babs said if Tim had done GOLDENEYE he would have followed up with 2 more.

Regarding Barbara Broccoli, did she mention Tim doing 2 more if he stayed on in the EON documentary film? The reason I ask is because the version on Youtube did not have that part.

I must say the documentary is fascinating and I know Tim gets along great with the Broccoli family. He was super close to her dad and even carried his coffin at the funeral which was an honour. Tim had huge respect for her father as he does her and Michael now.

• 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Yes, a big shame he didn't get at least 2 more.

I would have had him in a more faithful adaptation of For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy and Moonraker.

God, to have had the movies like the books. Can still dream.
    Just saw the "trailer" on youtube:

OH MY GOD! What would I give to see the movie become a reality. Timothy Dalton explodes from the screen. Two Bond movies were nowhere near enough for Tim.
    He left wwwaaayyyy too soon.
    Woah I only now saw this! What an amazing trailer! Such a shame we couldn´t get that film!

I love how he says to M, "what do you want" :-)) !
  • MI60071987892016MI60071987892016 Australia
    I Think Property Of A Lady will Return to the bond formula but except more realistic and less ridiculousness, i think it would be awesome how he will stop WW3

check the wiki about Property of A Lady Film
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Property of a sexy bird, would be a better title. :D
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 9,730
    The property of a lady in 92 or goldeneye with Tim would of been great.

I dont hate the Brosnan era as I have said before Eon has casted 007 6 times and each time they did a good job in my opinion but wow the idea of 2-3 more with Tim

In terms of the property of a lady I can understand why EON was thinking robots (terminator being as huge a bit as it was plus robocop) but I dunno if it would of worked maybe if they toned it down considerably I would be ok with it.

For director Luc besson (fresh after la femme Nakia)

Cast I don't know....

Of course the more I think about it the more I am upset with EA for doing from Russia with love when with EON's permission they could of done this as a game.

Dalton should of had his third film in video game form at least (similar to how we actually did get ghostbusters 3 but in video game form)
    I know for sure robots in a Bond movie would have been catastrophic. Terrible idea that would have forever stained Dalton's tenure.
    I don't think the robots in the 3rd Dalton film would've gotten too far out of hand. A bit outlandish, but there probably would've been a decent balance. At the time one of the main criticisms of the Dalton Bonds was the tone being too far on the gritty side and not enough balance between humor/fantasy and realism. For Tim's 3rd effort I'm sure there was a strong focus to get the tone right after LTK. I always felt Bond 17 could have been Tim's TSWLM, and I like the treatment for this lost film.
    Of course, during the script finalizing stages, pre-production, and filming much could have changed, so who's to say the final product would have been much like that initial outline? I doubt the film would have actually featured a Bondless pre-title sequence, but who knows?
    I followed Bond 17 closely back then, at least as close as one could without internet, etc. You pretty much had to reply on magazines, shows like Entertainment Tonight, and the Bond Fan clubs for information. The Property of A Lady, and Portrait of A Lady were rumored titles in 007 Magazine and the James Bond British Fan Club newsletter, but those publications still took it with a grain of salt. There was never an official announcement on what Bond 17 was to be called until GoldenEye.
    You also had articles about Joel Silver trying to get the Bond rights and produce a Bond film with Mel Gibson. Also rumors that Pierce was going to replace Tim because LTK had such a poor reception in the US. In the end, the James Bond British Fan Club continuously reassured fans that Timothy Dalton was still confirmed to play Bond in Bond 17.
    I'd love to see a documentary done on this lost Bond film. Maybe as a special feature on a future Blu-ray release of one of the Tim films?
    Robots would have gone way too far in scifi territory and not even Moore could have sold them, let alone Dalton, who worked better as a realistic Bond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    So long as they were Sexbots. :)
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Robots would have gone way too far in scifi territory and not even Moore could have sold them, let alone Dalton, who worked better as a realistic Bond.

I have to step up and give credit to Sir Roger: if ANY Bond could have sold us on the robots, it would certainly be Moore.
    I really don't think with Tim in that film, though, it would have gotten that far. The whole idea might have even been scrapped by the time it went into production.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 254
    002 wrote: »

It’s a shame it never came to pass. Toning down the robot schtick of the original script, and making it an advanced techno thriller would of suited Dalton better. Catherine Zeta Jones as a Bond girl would of worked, and ditto Anthony Hopkins as a retired MI6 agent living in Hong Kong who assists Bond in his mission.

What could of been, eh?
  • It’s a shame it never came to pass. Toning down the robot schtick of the original script, as well as the stealth car scene, and making it an advanced techno thriller would of suited Dalton better. Catherine Zeta Jones as a Bond girl would of worked, and ditto Anthony Hopkins as a retired MI6 agent living in Hong Kong who assists Bond in his mission.

I highly doubt that Hopkins would have been cast as Denholm Crisp considering the part was really secondary in the story, whether it is the original treatment or what we know about its expansion into a screenplay by Will Davis and William Osbourne. Maybe he could have been chosen for the main antagonist (Sir Henry Lee Ching or Sir Henry Ferguson, depending on the draft).

Regarding the project in itself, and its overall plot, I've always been disappointed that it was so detached from the geopolitical issues of the turn of the 1990s, especially the collapse of the USSR. Apparently the PTS from Davis and Osbourne's script was influenced by the then-current Gulf War with Bond in mission in Libya, but that's about all. Hope this draft will be readable one day.
    It’s a shame it never came to pass. Toning down the robot schtick of the original script, as well as the stealth car scene, and making it an advanced techno thriller would of suited Dalton better. Catherine Zeta Jones as a Bond girl would of worked, and ditto Anthony Hopkins as a retired MI6 agent living in Hong Kong who assists Bond in his mission.

I highly doubt that Hopkins would have been cast as Denholm Crisp considering the part was really secondary in the story, whether it is the original treatment or what we know about its expansion into a screenplay by Will Davis and William Osbourne. Maybe he could have been chosen for the main antagonist (Sir Henry Lee Ching or Sir Henry Ferguson, depending on the draft).

Regarding the project in itself, and its overall plot, I've always been disappointed that it was so detached from the geopolitical issues of the turn of the 1990s, especially the collapse of the USSR. Apparently the PTS from Davis and Osbourne's script was influenced by the then-current Gulf War with Bond in mission in Libya, but that's about all. Hope this draft will be readable one day.

True - If not Hopkins, who else could of been Denholm Crisp? Either way, it would of been fascinating to see Dalton’s 3rd outing taking elements from TLD and LTK for one final send off.
  • True - If not Hopkins, who else could of been Denholm Crisp?
    I suppose it depends on whether Eon would have wanted a famous actor accustomed to supporting roles, or on the contrary someone who was not that well known. Right now, I'm thinking of David McCallum (Illya Kuryakin in The Man from UNCLE), who would have been a great choice for a retired agent.
    True - If not Hopkins, who else could of been Denholm Crisp?
    I suppose it depends on whether Eon would have wanted a famous actor accustomed to supporting roles, or on the contrary someone who was not that well known. Right now, I'm thinking of David McCallum (Illya Kuryakin in The Man from UNCLE), who would have been a great choice for a retired agent.

I guess. The same could be said for the Nigel Yupland character, who tries to scrap the DB5 and thinks the 00 section of MI6 is past it. Someone like Ian Holm or Hugh Laurie would be good at playing a new minister of defence with no love for Bond at all.

Still, good shout for Crisp, seeing as Eon always goes for those not well known.
  • Also, it's interesting to point out that Davis and Osborne's draft shared a lot in common with Skyfall in its intentions, with Bond starting to feel tired, seeing the world grow old around him with Moneypenny being engaged, the Q department about to be closed, and a younger generation embodied by the Nigel Yupland character, expressing the desire to reform the structure of MI6. This could also be said about the story in itself, ignoring European issues of the time to focus on China and new technologies, as symbols of the future of international relations.

I don't know how fair this is, but it feels like it was written as a conclusion, a swan song, and I can hardly imagine what path the series would have taken afterwards. I guess though, the plot would have ended with a Bond ready to return for more missions, something similar to the end of Skyfall.
    wait has more from this come out i only know if the short lik 2-4 page outline has a full draft been leaked?
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 890
    Risico007 wrote: »
    wait has more from this come out i only know if the short lik 2-4 page outline has a full draft been leaked?
    While the full draft never leaked, its overall content is briefly detailed in Some Kind of Hero, the book by Matthew Field and Ajay Chowdhury.
    The pre-title sequence is set in North Africa where, under the guise of taking part in a powerboat race, Bond parascends to a cliff top and it is revealed he is in Libya. There he infiltrates a chemical weapons facility which is guarded by a hi-tech robot. After outwitting his mechanical nemesis and Colonel Al-Sabra of the Libyan State Secret Police, Bond high dives into the water. He is berated by the young intelligence officer sent to evaluate him for failing in his mission to destroy the plant. Just then the plant explodes and the twisted remains of the robot land on the powerboat Bond arrives at MI6 headquarters in London to find Nigel Yupland, a junior defence minister, is wielding the cost-cutting axe. Moneypenny is engaged to a ‘structural engineer from Harrow’ and Q Branch is to be shut down. A mournful Q requests that Bond send him a postcard.

The plot centred on a much more cost-effective stealth fighter, the Scimitar, developed by the British and worth billions in arms sales to the economy. The fighter has been stolen while on exercise with the US Navy. Bond is sent to track it down. During his investigations, 007 learns the fighter, with its stealth technology, is to be used to launch an undetectable nuclear attack on China, causing regime change, allowing the hardline General Han to take over. Han will then grant Hong Kong to Sir Henry Ferguson, a ruthless industrialist, as his own private principality. Ferguson has an island retreat in Kowloon. Han has been supplied with hi-tech weapons developed by Ferguson and delivered via Vegas gangsters, the Vinelli brothers. When the time comes, Ferguson liquidates the gangsters to cut all ties between the weapons and him. On his mission Bond meets the attractively independent, Connie Webb. She is ostensibly a jewel thief, but there is much more to her. Webb and Bond enjoy a feisty, raunchy and amusing one-upmanship throughout the screenplay.

Other scenes were more specifically made public when a copy of this draft was sold at auction. Here are some:
    img1.jpg?_ga=2.172362659.1408424774.1602687450-1046506046.1602687450
    img2.jpg?_ga=2.268781553.1408424774.1602687450-1046506046.1602687450
    img3.jpg?_ga=2.130500367.1408424774.1602687450-1046506046.1602687450
    The other pages are accessible here: https://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/3381/JAMES-BOND-BOND-17-Draft-Screenplay