What do you consider the most dire moment in a Bond film?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    BAIN123 wrote:
    What about the winking fish in LTK?

I find that not a bad light touch, to end what is an otherwise serious film. It works and I like it.
    You're right, its not that bad. It's just something I've heard some fans complain about.

My dad thinks one of the worst things they ever did was the Richard Branson cameo lol.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    At least he's kept supplying the Bond crew and flying Craig around the word with his planes. :)) That made it worthwhile.
    One of the best ones is the ice car chase in DAD. Mainly you can see the "skid" marks of the camera cars and the Aston and Jag, in previous takes. On the ice.
  • Virage wrote:
    One of the best ones is the ice car chase in DAD. Mainly you can see the "skid" marks of the camera cars and the Aston and Jag, in previous takes. On the ice.

Haha! I think we could dedicate an entire thread...no an entire forum to the tragedy that was DAD. Having said that, there are two (and only two) redeeming features:

1. The bearded Bond, imprisoned for months and tortured. I just wish they'd done more with it.

2. Bond eating a grape in Cuba :-)
    I find the first hour of DAD to be the best part of the entire Brosnan-era! Don't mind being a minority here.
    Virage wrote:

Haha! I think we could dedicate an entire thread...no an entire forum to the tragedy that was DAD. Having said that, there are two (and only two) redeeming features:

1. The bearded Bond, imprisoned for months and tortured. I just wish they'd done more with it.

2. Bond eating a grape in Cuba :-)

And Bond attempting to kill Miranda AND Bond in the underground station AND Bond getting the revolver ;)

• LALD- James Bond in Harlem being called a honkey.

bringing a bit of balance to that quite racist script.
    that terrible projector screen background, when Aki drives Bond through Tokyo in YOLT...the speedometer reads '0' and she keeps turning the wheel while the car appears to go straight.
    The closing line to TWINE.....oh damn, I just threw up a bit in my mouth again, after thinking about it.
    ALL of DAD...everything....for the love of all that is holy, please call the Men in Black and have them flash that thing in my eyes, so I can forget that ridiculous member of the Bond cannon
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    When Dr. Kananga AKA Mr. Big balloons up and explodes. It's a very unique death in the series, but wow, is it laughable. Also, the Tarzan yell from Octopussy and The Beach Boys song in the PTS of AVTAK are pretty cringeworthy moments.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Gunbarrel wrote:
    Although I think the iceberg surfing scene is pretty bad, and although I know a lot of folks have mentioned AVTAK in general, I think I may have to go with the fire engine chase from the end of that movie. Moore hanging off of that ladder and kicking cowboys' hats off, I mean they ripped off the end of the Abbot and Costello movie "In Society" for crying out loud. And the scene in A&C is actually more engrossing.

I knew I recognised the scene from somewhere. At 1:32 In Society begins to resemble AVTAK

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    My most dire moment?

"This never happened to the other fella!"

Forever cemented in my mind the thought of George Lazenby as nothing more than a pretender in the role of James Bond.

My second-most dire moment was the way Bond seduced every last one of the Angels of Death with the same gimmick, word for word. I know Bond is a womaniser, but this was just plain sleazy. And then, twenty-four hours later, he's proposing to Tracy.

Two great examples, shadowonthesun. I especially felt the same with Lazenby's intro line. For me, I need to add ... no surprise to many: the DAD surfing sequence.
  • My most dire moment?

"This never happened to the other fella!"

Forever cemented in my mind the thought of George Lazenby as nothing more than a pretender in the role of James Bond.

My second-most dire moment was the way Bond seduced every last one of the Angels of Death with the same gimmick, word for word. I know Bond is a womaniser, but this was just plain sleazy. And then, twenty-four hours later, he's proposing to Tracy.

Two great examples, shadowonthesun. I especially felt the same with Lazenby's intro line. For me, I need to add ... no surprise to many: the DAD surfing sequence.

I watched a doc on OHMSS - and during the time of filming the whole world was in hysterics over production and post production of this film. The 'other fella' line was a release for the whole film crew and GL and indeed for the audience. I loved the line, I loved the film despite some short comings.

What he did for with the angels was for King and Country and very much in keeping with how 007 would do anything for a successful mission.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Direst moment? Appearance of Brozza in Goldeneye.

Lazer's appearance and quip at the start of OHMSS is by contrast a work of great genius.
    NicNac wrote:
    Gunbarrel wrote:
    Although I think the iceberg surfing scene is pretty bad, and although I know a lot of folks have mentioned AVTAK in general, I think I may have to go with the fire engine chase from the end of that movie. Moore hanging off of that ladder and kicking cowboys' hats off, I mean they ripped off the end of the Abbot and Costello movie "In Society" for crying out loud. And the scene in A&C is actually more engrossing.

I knew I recognised the scene from somewhere. At 1:32 In Society begins to resemble AVTAK

The Bond movies have always shamelessly ripped off other films, usually with amusing/entertaining results. I don't know what they were ripping off during the Brozza era, but whatever it was, it sucked.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Getafix wrote:
    Lazer's appearance and quip at the start of OHMSS is by contrast a work of great genius.

Well said sir. I think theres a few people here yet to fully embrace the legend that is Lazenby.
  • JPinFLA wrote:
    The closing line to TWINE.....oh damn, I just threw up a bit in my mouth again, after thinking about it.

Ahhh man, I always liked that line!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    JPinFLA wrote:

Ahhh man, I always liked that line!

I'd like that line if Christmas ever came more than once a year for me.
  • Agent Baltimore said: "As true as I am sitting here when I first saw the title it said 'Dirtiest moments'. I can see now it's been change too by the author."

As the originator of this thread, I can assure Agent Baltimore that at no time did my title read "Dirtiest moment" [sic], a truth proven by the fact that not one of the preceding responses alluded to that. Maybe Agent Baltimore simply has a "one-track, dire mind" ...?! :-)) :-)) :-))
  • In TMWTGG two words can describe this stupid,unncessary incident- The Whistle.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    In TMWTGG two words can describe this stupid,unncessary incident- The Whistle.

While I like the whistle, I can't imagine what happened in the EON office that day for Cubby, Saltzman, Hamilton and Barry to arrive to this idea...
  • Not going to argue :-<

What whistle anyway, I can't think of any such incident

Let me add the awful sound effects of somersault car with Moore and James, absolutely cringeworthy, Moore or not

It spoiled an otherwise good and eventful Bond adventure for the most part

Not going to argue :-<

Let me add the awful sound effects of somersault car with Moore and James, absolutely cringeworthy, Moore or not

That's 'The Whistle' you're thinking of. Also known as the 'slide whistle'.
  • Not going to argue :-<

SPOILERS

In TMWTGG when Bond and Sheriff Pepper (another Dire moment in its own right) were chasing Scaramanga and Nick Nack Bond has to Jump a rickety looking thing and while doing the car flips and he hear a generic whistle sound.
  • was that a whistle or what could be defined as one?, by god, it was so embarrassing for any credible Bond fan I always had trouble distinguishing what kind of sound it was

Sort of Whee, Whoo, Whee, in any event, someone should of been pistol whipped :-L
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sort of Whee, Whoo, Whee,

That's the sound Pepper made after landing. The whislte was something like ''Whoooooooooooosh Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish'

Look at this great edit of that scene:

• Sort of Whee, Whoo, Whee,

That's the sound Pepper made after landing. The whislte was something like ''Whoooooooooooosh Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish'

I know Clifton James made such sounds but I was relating to the actual somersault in motion, done in one take too. I don't want to dwell on this piece of Bond 'action' past, said my bit and I'll always insist it was totally unnecessary and should of been left out. There are so many examples of similar Bond bits of audio throughout the years never mind this that I took umbrage with, but this one sticks out as something that touches a nerve, I turn off audio whenever the scene comes on if I happen to take in a viewing. That's all I have to say on the issue

• Samuel001 wrote:
    Look at this great edit of that scene:

ahhhh much better!

• there was another whistle incident in that movie. The English Rugby team had the right idea in New Zealand on how to deal with the situation.