As the Chilcot report is published should Blair have his day in court?

edited July 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 389
Don't know if this is already a topic, but it should be, I believe that Tony Blair hudwinked the British people & parliament to further his own political career & international position, getting us to send our young men & women into conflict on a lie, there were no WMD's. I believe he should be at least sent to the international court in the Hague to be tried on war crimes.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, Blair lied to parliament and to the country.
  • Agreed, Blair lied to parliament and to the country.

Blair only repeated the lies he was told by the idiot GWBush & the truly reprehensible Dick Cheney. If anybody deserves to be called to the dock for war crimes it's these two, and the American people would never stand for that.

• Agreed both should be held to account but Blair was the only one who convinced everyone to back invasion based on intelligence that was fabricated & dressed up as truth as I hope will come out when the report is published.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    They should all three appear before The Hague court. But since the two Americans won't leave their lair for the foreseeable future Blair could at least be an example they are doing their best to clean out the stables. Blair didn't just lie to us, he lied to the world and caused the deaths of many many young men and women from numerous nations. One might easily say the current mess is in no small way directly linked to Blair's fundamental error to tie our fate to that of a couple of messianic madmen.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    We don't know what the Chilcot report will conclude so you may be jumping to conclusions here! Sly Tony may get off with a slight reprimand. ;) The compromise verdict could be

Tony Blair acted in the best interests of the country based on factually inaccurate information. He didn't deliberately intend to mislead Parliament and the country.

Something like that could be verdict. Blair gets off. I think there's zero chance he will be indicted as a war criminal!
    :)) Very True, Teflon Tony, may well come out as more sinned against :D
    He is a master at twisting facts, after all.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    An Establishment Report will no doubt whitewash over the truth. We can only live in hope that the long-overdue Chilcot Report will apportion blame to the warmongers and their bullying off the UK Attorney-General, dodgy and "sexed up" dossiers and flimsy evidence for Iraq's WMDs and missile capability.
    Honestly the biggest laugh I've ever had. Was when it was announced that
    Tony Blair was to be a " Middle East Peace Envoy" =))
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 389

Yes & he was as much use at that as a chocolate fire guard ;)

Yes & he was as much use at that as a chocolate fire guard ;)

No doubt Blair felt "the hand of history" on his shoulder and he thought that he could somehow replicate his success with the Northern Ireland peace process in the Middle East. A factor that he seemed to miss (due to his huge ego) was that he was a large part of the problem there (with the 2003 Iraq War especially) and thus could never be the solution.
    Exactly =D> might as well sent George W Bush as Peace Envoy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    "Yo, Blair, what are you doing?" , as reportedly said by one Western "leader" (cough) at an infamous G8 meeting some years back.

Indeed. I've been asking myself the same question for years.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,686
    If we send Bush & Blair to the Hague for the 2003 Iraqi war (and IMO they should be), then Obama/Sarkozy/Cameron should be sent to trial for the intervention in Libya in 2011 (and IMO they should be, as well).
    Exactly =D> might as well sent George W Bush as Peace Envoy.

Or Adolf Hitler...;)
    If we send Bush & Blair to the Hague for the 2003 Iraqi war (and IMO they should be), then Obama/Sarkozy/Cameron should be sent to trial for the intervention in Libya in 2011 (and IMO they should be, as well).
    This.

Well said.

Isn't that like comparing apples and oranges though? The 2003 Iraq War was a much bigger British diplomatic, legal and military disaster people will still be talking about for years to come. In my view, Libya is small fry in comparison.
    Blair used lies to take Britain to war, just as the false attack on an American
    Battleship lead to America getting involved in Vietnam.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    edited June 2016 Posts: 17,727
    Blair used lies to take Britain to war, just as the false attack on an American
    Battleship lead to America getting involved in Vietnam.

Yes, and of course Hitler, Mussolini and the Militants in Japan used the exactly the same tactics as a prelude and excuse for invading sovereign territory before and during World War II. The only difference that I can see is that when "the good guys" do this it's allowed.
    Yes, sadly it's an old tactic and it will be used again. :(
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Keep in mind that Western countries were still in a state of relative hubris in 2003, post-Desert Storm, in contrast to their state of 'caution' for the many years post-Vietnam. This is despite 911. The power of the American military had been re-established in 1990, thanks to Norman Schwarzkopf & Colin Powell.

Many expected a walk in the park, and welcome with flowers (Cheney's quote paraphrased). I can appreciate that Blair thought he would be on the right side of history by throwing his hat in with Bush, similar to Maggie/Reagan/Bush 1 & Churchill/Roosevelt. The ghost of Chamberlain also loomed large in British history.

It was a severe miscalculation, because history never repeats itself in the same manner.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Tony Blair was re-elected after the Iraq war! I guess it's easy to look back in hindsight and think the war was wrong or sold to the public in a dishonest way but enough Labour voters wanted him to continue in power. It's all a bit confusing and contradictory. We humans are too hard to understand!
    Sadly, sometime you don't get all the facts. Until years after the event. :(
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Tony Blair was re-elected after the Iraq war! I guess it's easy to look back in hindsight and think the war was wrong or sold to the public in a dishonest way but enough Labour voters wanted him to continue in power. It's all a bit confusing and contradictory. We humans are too hard to understand!

Just goes to show how often the British Public let the wool get pulled over there eyes
  • Mrcoggins wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Just goes to show how often the British Public let the wool get pulled over there eyes

If your referring to the EU referendum, I believe Blair started the growth in anti-EU feeling in the UK when he gave away more to Brussels than any other preceeding PM had done before.
    With regards to the thread topic? I can't see that ever happening?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Quite correct. It never will. It would not be politically expedient. Some warmongering, killings and murders are condoned by state and international law it seems. In reality, there's more chance of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness being indicted for IRA murder and terrorism. Fat chance.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Quite correct. It never will. It would not be politically expedient. Some warmongering, killings and murders are condoned by state and international law it seems. In reality, there's more chance of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness being indicted for IRA murder and terrorism. Fat chance.

Very true!
  • Sad, true, but maybe once we'll get a miracle & set a new precedence.
    Only the Little people get punished. ;)