Rank the Guy Hamiton Bonds films (Poll added)

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I love all the Hamilton. So distinct and zany, and unlike any other films in the series. They place between 7-14 in my ranking.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2016 Posts: 2,721
    My favourite films of Hamilton's are GF and LALD. Although I have found over time my appreciation of LALD has grown to the point that it is now my favourite Roger outing. But when I first got into 007 I found DAF, LALD and MWTGG the most visibly pedestrian entries of the series. (Although this has probably just as much to do with Manciweiz' screenwriting paired with Hamilton's direction). It's like they went 180 degrees after OHMSS and ran from it as fast as they could. Of the classic era for me (62 to 89) Hamilton is probably my least favourite Bond director. GF is without doubt his crowning glory but MWTGG and (as much as I love it) LALD feel a little cheap. And above all Hamilton lacks a personal touch - say what you like about Lewis Gilbert's films but a scene like the rooftop fight one shot of YOLT or Corrine's death by hounds in MR are simply beyond Hamilton's instincts as a director. So the order of my favourites is GF, LALD, and then MWTGG and DAF. But in order of directing distinctiveness I'd put GF still top but then DAF - that has some nice little touches (the voice over montage of the smuggling operation moving to Wint and kidd's debut and then back to the voice over is almost as crafty as Hamilton ever dared) and then LALD and MWTGG. I'd say Hamilton was good at building tense scenes especially in GF and LALD. But he had little interest in pushing the envelope with directing flourishes as most of the others did (especially Young, Hunt and Gilbert) whether that is a good or a bad thing is personal taste I guess. But it does stick out to me.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    This is easy;

1. Goldfinger
    2. Live and Let Die
    3. The Man with the Golden Gun
    4. Diamonds Are Forever
    suavejmf wrote: »
    This is easy;

1. Goldfinger
    2. Live and Let Die
    3. The Man with the Golden Gun
    4. Diamonds Are Forever

Agreed.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    GF
    TMWTGG
    DAF
    LALD
    Hamilton was campy and OTT but all his films have entertaining elements.

GF is obviously the best.

On recent rewatches I found Gun and DAF surprisingly enjoyable. They are both infused with a profound weirdness. I was also struck of course by how much SF owes to Gun (Fleming?).

For some reason LALD fell a bit flat last time I saw it. Rog hasn't hit his stride and it's all a bit laboured.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Artemis81 wrote: »
    Goldfinger
    Live and Let Die
    TMWTGG
    Diamonds Are Forever

Ditto.

Ditto x2
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Hamilton was campy and OTT but all his films have entertaining elements.

GF is obviously the best.

On recent rewatches I found Gun and DAF surprisingly enjoyable. They are both infused with a profound weirdness. I was also struck of course by how much SF owes to Gun (Fleming?).

For some reason LALD fell a bit flat last time I saw it. Rog hasn't hit his stride and it's all a bit laboured.
    This is exactly how I felt in my last viewing of these. There is an excitement that is embraced in TMWTGG and DAF that I don't see as prominently in LALD. I always get the impression LALD is trying to do too much with the spiritual element that doesn't lend to the pace of its more thrilling scenes.
    I don't think GF is campy? It's actually quite close to the novel and has a darker tone than the other Hamilton films.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Goldfinger is incredibly campy and I love it for it.
  • GBFGBF
    1. GF
    2. LALD
    3. TMWTGG
    4. DAF

I think this is the least controversial ranking. Honestly, I have never been a big Hamilton fan... All these films have their flaws, even though GF is a very good film. LALD has some very good elements (villains, music, Solitaire, crocs, boat chase) too, but the climax for instance is really bad... and the PTS is not that great either... and the least said about Rosie Carver, the better. Still I think LALD is a solid Bond film...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I like all the Hamilton films, but GF is the one I'm the least keen about, as I think it's the most formulaic (even though it created the formula) and has since been done better in composite by later & more contemporary Bond films.

There is something very distinct about Hamilton's films. They are quirky & very charismatic (particularly the villains), but yet not derivative, and that makes them memorable.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You said it!
    This is one of those "best vs. favorite" questions. Goldfinger is very clearly the best of Hamilton's films, and from a purely writing/craftsmanship/filmmaking standpoint, it's also one of the best of the entire series. However, for many reasons - nostalgia included - it's actually my least favorite of his four films. Therefore, I feel the need to write a list of "favorites" and "best." Please don't throw tomatoes at me.

Favorites:
    LALD
    TMWTGG
    DAF
    GF

Best:
    GF
    LALD
    TMWTGG
    DAF

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Sorry @Birdleson, @Thunderfinger, the more I watch it, the further it falls down my list. I'm almost ashamed to rank it where I really want to these days in case of reprisals. Give me TB or TSWLM any day of the week and twice on Sunday for pure formula Bond at its best, imho.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I like all the Hamilton films, but GF is the one I'm the least keen about, as I think it's the most formulaic (even though it created the formula) and has since been done better in composite by later & more contemporary Bond films.

There is something very distinct about Hamilton's films. They are quirky & very charismatic (particularly the villains), but yet not derivative, and that makes them memorable.

That statement is so insane I don't know what to say.

I think the otherwise normally incredibly sane @bondjames has a screw lose!

He is still recovering from SP and doubtless nervous about the referendum outcome!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    New ranking from me.

1 GF
    2 TMWTGG
    3 DAF
    4 LALD
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My new ranking...

1. LALD
    2. GF
    3. DAF
    4. TMWTGG

2 - 4 can change on a daily basis very interchangeable films for me, though recently I have had a renewed appreciation of GF.

LALD is my first Bond film so it will always hold great sentimental value, plus I think its an awesome film.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    1. GF
    2. LALD
    3. DAF
    4. TMWTGG
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    1. TMWTGG
    2. LALD
    3. GF
    4. DAF
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    1. LALD
    2. GF
    3. DAF
    4. TMWGG
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Well, well...look what the cat dragged in (after 8 years or so). Anyway, and unequivocally:

GF (9/10)
    LALD (7/10)
    TMWTGG (6/10)
    DAF (5/10, though probably more fun to watch than TMWTGG)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't think mine has ever looked like anything but this:

1. LALD
    2. GF
    3. DAF
    4. TMWTGG
    1. GF
    2. LALD
    3. TMWTGG
    4. DAF
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    1.GF
    2.LALD
    3.MWTGG
    4.DAF

GF aside I don't get all the fuss, Young is in a different league.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited April 2019 Posts: 544
    1. TMWTGG
    2. LALD
    3. DAF
    4. GF (sorry!)
    bondjames wrote: »
    Objectively, and due to its classic status, I suppose GF should be higher, but I really don't enjoy it all that much and subjectively it's the Hamilton film I'd rather not watch. Much prefer TB or TSWLM if going that route.

Same here. Just like Skyfall, is not a bad film but way too much overhyped.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    1.) LALD
    2.) TMWTGG
    3.) DAF
    4.) GF
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    1.GF
    2.LALD
    3.MWTGG
    4.DAF

+1
    peter wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    1.GF
    2.LALD
    3.MWTGG
    4.DAF

+1

+2
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ranking from when I first joined here in 2011:
    QBranch wrote: »
    1. GF (tie with) LALD
    2. TMWTGG
    3. DAF
    I'm surprised to see that I tied GF with LALD. I've always found LALD very entertaining, but not necessarily a 'better' film than GF.

New ranking:

1. GF
    2. LALD

3. DAF
    4. TMWTGG

DAF moves up a spot from last, as I finally 'clicked' with this film last year. That has yet to happen with GG.