SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    A new promotional picture released on Twitter:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiHDN6rWkAAwwR_.jpg:large
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Why does he always have to make that dumb pout? He looks ridiculous.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited June 2016 Posts: 2,493
    A new book about the film is being released on 15th June 2016 (UK) and 25th October 2016 (USA).

Anderson & Low: On the Set of James Bond's Spectre

British photographers Jonathan Anderson and Edwin Low have created a highly original art project based on the brilliant artifice of the spectacular sets from the latest James Bond movie, "Spectre." Shooting entirely at Pinewood Studios in UK, the artist duo highlights a head-on collision of fantasy and reality by photographing the sets' massive scale and extraordinary detail.

Allowing the bare soundstage to intrude on the images would normally shatter the illusion of the sets. In this case, however, it has the reverse effect and enhances the sense of illusion, artifice and wonder. Through a poetic and painterly eye, the beautifully designed and magnificently photographed images bring to life these detailed and massive tableaux, creating a poetry and narrative fantasy that mirrors the movie. With a foreword by "Spectre" director Sam Mendes, this book represents a unique study in movie-making and constructed narrative in photography.

A preview of some of the photographs:
    rsz_palazzo_rome_andersonlow_all_rights_reserved.jpg

rsz_shooting_gallery_old_mi6_building_andersonlow_all__rights_reserved_002.jpg

rsz_old_mi6_building_andersonlow_all_rights_reserved.jpg

rsz_secret_room_tangier_hotel_andersonlow_all_rights__reserved.jpg

rsz_oberhausers_control_room_morocco_andersonlow_all__rights_reserved.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    SPECTRE Nominated for a European Film Award - Vote for it here:

http://www.007.com/vote-for-spectre/

I surmise that most of you won't, but I figured it would be nice to bring the attention over to MI6 Community for the minority who actually enjoy this film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As I haven t seen any of the other nominated films, I couldn t vote. But nice to see it there.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    jake24 wrote: »

I surmise that most of you won't, but I figured it would be nice to bring the attention over to MI6 Community for the minority who actually enjoy this film.

Disliking Spectre and nitpicking about it is just the latest craze around here, luckily the general public loved the movie.

Disliking Spectre and nitpicking about it is just the latest craze around here, luckily the general public loved the movie.
    And if not Spectre, let's bash Pierce Brosnan. It'd make a good topic. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Noooo! Please no! :))
    Murdock wrote: »

Noooo! Please no! :))
    Sums up the entire forum. :))
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Unfortunately y'all are too correct. And I'm one of the guilty ones.

Just a tense time right now with all the uncertainty.

Despite my SP bashing I still like a lot about the movie. I guess my disappointment comes from knowing the calibre of the talent involved I expected more.

My heart still goes out to Pierce. Bond had been his dream. Many here have varying opinions regarding his performance as Bond and I see both sides.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

It'll die down once concrete information starts pouring in about 'Bond 25,' then nobody will care about SP, and once that releases, it'll be the same thing all over again (unless, hopefully, it's a new classic that almost all of us love). Wouldn't that be nice?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It'll die down once concrete information starts pouring in about 'Bond 25,' then nobody will care about SP, and once that releases, it'll be the same thing all over again (unless, hopefully, it's a new classic that almost all of us love). Wouldn't that be nice?

Agreed. And I feel EoN works better when under pressure to prove themselves again or to recover.

I mean it's obvious they want more from Bond than a simple action flick ....credit BB more for that. Hence why they go after the directors they do. I don't think that always works ...for me it did for SF but overall mixed results with QoS and SP.

Still after 24 films who can blame them for wanting to do more.

(See I said something positive.... kinda)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Despite my SP bashing I still like a lot about the movie. I guess my disappointment comes from knowing the calibre of the talent involved I expected more.

My heart still goes out to Pierce. Bond had been his dream. Many here have varying opinions regarding his performance as Bond and I see both sides.

@mcdonbb, absolutely understandable.

These films take longer to make now, and with how much we can read into the productions of the movies at this point in humanity's technological development, it's easy to get a picture in our head of what the film will be like, only to have it never succeed in reaching that vision in reality. I've been super guilty of that with Bond and other things in the past, as I'm a writer and am always imagining ways to continue to develop certain characters that other creators may not share. It's perfectly natural as humans to look ahead and imagine "what might be" regarding the things we love, despite the fact that subconsciously we know that our visions may not match those with their fingers on the controls, so to speak.

As for the current mood of the forum and the Bond community, in general presently, yes, it's definitely tense. Today more than ever (thanks to social media as well), there's a sick symbiotic relationship with negativity and mob mentality where nasty comments are paraded around proudly and supported by others as gospel instead of being called out by the masses for how over-exaggerated and picky they can be-which they usually are.

This being said, there's also plenty out there like yourself who have made valid criticisms and have understandable worries for where Bond is at and where he's going, and that kind of fair and honest dialogue should be welcomed, and I'm glad we still have that here, even if it gets rocky at moments.

We've all just got to get through this rough period where people are understandably upset with the direction EON may be headed in an uncertain future. I don't share a lot of these worries and am generally more hopeful, but I get where they're coming from most certainly.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

@mcdonbb, absolutely understandable.

These films take longer to make now, and with how much we can read into the productions of the movies at this point in humanity's technological development, it's easy to get a picture in our head of what the film will be like, only to have it never succeed in reaching that vision in reality. I've been super guilty of that with Bond and other things in the past, as I'm a writer and am always imagining ways to continue to develop certain characters that other creators may not share. It's perfectly natural as humans to look ahead and imagine "what might be" regarding the things we love, despite the fact that subconsciously we know that our visions may not match those with their fingers on the controls, so to speak.

As for the current mood of the forum and the Bond community, in general presently, yes, it's definitely tense. Today more than ever (thanks to social media as well), there's a sick symbiotic relationship with negativity and mob mentality where nasty comments are paraded around proudly and supported by others as gospel instead of being called out by the masses for how over-exaggerated and picky they can be-which they usually are.

This being said, there's also plenty out there like yourself who have made valid criticisms and have understandable worries for where Bond is at and where he's going, and that kind of fair and honest dialogue should be welcomed, and I'm glad we still have that here, even if it gets rocky at moments.

We've all just got to get through this rough period where people are understandably upset with the direction EON may be headed in an uncertain future. I don't share a lot of these worries and am generally more hopeful, but I get where they're coming from most certainly.

I greatly appreciate your kind response... and yes I have many of the same hopes and concerns.

Honestly I believe Bond will continue with many memorable missions. Maybe someday in different formats or media but still saving the world nonetheless.

Thank you.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @mcdonbb, I don't know about you, but I'll always have my fingers crossed for either a series of HBO/Showtime or BBC adaptations of Fleming's novels that are faithful to the text and detail Bond's journey from CR all the way to TMWTGG, all set in the original period.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,116
    @mcdonbb, I don't know about you, but I'll always have my fingers crossed for either a series of HBO/Showtime or BBC adaptations of Fleming's novels that are faithful to the text and detail Bond's journey from CR all the way to TMWTGG, all set in the original period.

That would be wonderful. I've had that dream for awhile. Getting a bit of that with Dynamite but how great that would be to see faithful adaptations. Period pieces would never on the big screen but wow would work for me on the small screen.

Even if they just made it to DAF that would be great. I like the screen versions of FRWL and Goldfinger better. TB we've seen millions of times and OHMSS might be pointless.

However YOLT and TMWGG would be welcome ...but lost without TB and OHMSS sooo what the hey ...let's have 'em all!!

I really don't see how a classic Bond on HBO would hurt the cinematic Bond.
    @mcdonbb, fingers crossed that if Dan returns, Bond 25 will give us the real deal YOLT adaptation we've been hoping for, with the garden of death at center stage and a final confrontation between Bond and Blofeld where the former strangles the life out of the latter. God, I need this in my life!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @mcdonbb, fingers crossed that if Dan returns, Bond 25 will give us the real deal YOLT adaptation we've been hoping for, with the garden of death at center stage and a final confrontation between Bond and Blofeld where the former strangles the life out of the latter. God, I need this in my life!
    I couldn't ask for a better scenario.
    I couldn't ask for a better scenario.

Yes that would work for me and imo be the best way to salvage this story even though it's more revenge. It's Fleming revenge.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    19 Things We Learned Hanging Out With Radiohead
    rollingstone.com/music/news/19-things-we-learned-hanging-out-with-radiohead-w486278

1. The James Bond movie Spectre screwed with their momentum while making A Moon Shaped Pool.
    Producers of the James Bond movie Spectre approached the band to write the theme song, but it was Sam Smith's tune that ultimately wound up in the film. Radiohead released their song for free online, but the timing was not great.

"That fucking James Bond movie threw us a massive curveball," says producer Nigel Godrich. "It was a real waste of energy. We stopped doing what we were doing and had to concentrate on that for awhile since we were told it was something that was going to come to fruition. I haven't seen the movie and I think they ended up with something more suitable for it, but in terms of making A Moon Shaped Pool it caused a stop right when we were in the middle of it."
    Poor boys. I can't believe it took so much effort and time to produce a "song" that could've been created by recording the sound of shrieking cats being dipped in and out of water to the tune of white noise.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red_Snow wrote: »

I haven't seen the movie and I think they ended up with something more suitable for it, [/i]

No. It is as suitable as dead flies on a chocolate cake.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Red_Snow wrote: »

I haven't seen the movie and I think they ended up with something more suitable for it, [/i]

No. It is as suitable as dead flies on a chocolate cake.
    You're being far too kind.
    Sounds like they should've paid EON a visit for a nice friendly game of baseball

I'm gonna be controversial and say I wasn't a fan of the Radiohead song. As a band I think they're okay but it just didn't do it for me, the opening bars were quite atmospheric but it quickly fell apart. WOTW wasn't amazing by any means but I think it felt suitable, I thought it was a decent effort.

Having said that I think it was a dick move on the part of the producers to approach them, to talk to them and presumably get on board with their pitch only to just fob them off like that, and they have a right to be annoyed since it disrupted work on their own album so much.

I think the Craig era has been poor in terms of themes. YKMN was great. AWTD was a crime against music. SF was okay but felt a bit generic. WOTW I like better than SF because it's at least something different but the falsetto parts stop it rising above the middle of the pack.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I think there's a chance the Radiohead lads have overblown this whole thing. If EON tells some artists to come up with their version of a Bond song, but doesn't pick theirs, it's not really equatable to them making Radiohead do a song and just turning their back on it later. You get the gig, you do a song, you wait for their approval. If they don't like it, you're out. Any artist in on the gig would know that, and know that the time spent with EON is time spent away from their personal work. There's no blame game that can readily happen, outside of searching for pity seeking excuses. If they wanted more time for their damn album, they should've taken it. Or, you know, just made a good song.
    I think the issue is, based on that interview, they were told they'd already gotten the gig. It wasn't like say, Muse with SF (who recorded the song with the intention of shipping it to the producers, but nothing official was ever drawn up). They said that "we were told it was something that was going to come to fruition". They were hired and told that their song would be used for the film (which explains why insiders were so certain it'd be them), recorded the song, and then were fired. They spent time away from working on their album because they were told it'd actually go somewhere.

I think it's more a matter of they wanted a different sort of sound than a matter of "good" or "bad", it's incredibly hard to generalise music in that way anyway and it's not like EON are amazing when it comes to the quality control of the themes. I don't think Babs and MGW and whoever else has any input listened to it and thought this is shit, I think they listened to it and thought this doesn't fit what we're going for at all. And if it was unforseeable creative differences fair enough but (this coming from someone not too familiar with their catalogue) it seems to me like the song was basically rejected for being a Radiohead song. If they didn't want that sort of sound they shouldn't have hired that band. I just think that EON should have known what they were going to get when they hired them.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,415
    Is this the song And correct lyrics ?

Because it is very dificult to hear what there sing.

Spectre"

I'm lost, I'm a ghost
    Dispossessed, taken host
    My hunger burns a bullet hole
    A spectre of my mortal soul
    These rumours and suspicion
    Anger is a poison
    The only truth that I could see
    Is when you put your lips to me
    Futures tricked by the past
    Spectre, how he laughs

Fear puts a spell on us
    Always second-guessing love
    My hunger burns a bullet hole
    A spectre of my mortal soul
    The only truth that I can see
    Spectre has come for me
    They should have made the film that fits to that song.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Does anyone know if EON paid Radiohead for this? They delivered a song so presumably should've been paid in full. It's not their fault that the idiots at EON had seemingly never heard their stuff and suddenly got cold feet when they realised it was nowhere near mainstream enough and preferred to go with a flavour of the month artist instead.

If they were paid there goes another pile of money on the Mendes record breaking bonfire.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I too hope they were paid.

I was under the impression Craig recommended and favoured Radiohead. I recall reading somewhere that it was Mendes who wanted Smith (don't quote me on that though).

If they shafted Radiohead then I'm not that concerned about any and all the disrespect they get on account of their last effort (the song and the film) from members here and the public at large. What goes around comes around.