Blood Stone Appreciation

Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
edited December 2011 in 007 Gaming Posts: 7,854
Who here likes Blood Stone? It happens to be my favorite Bond game. In my opinions, it's got some of the best locations in the franchise (Greece, Istanbul, Monaco, Siberia, etc), and one of the more interesting plot twists near the end that'll probably never be resolved in any future game (all because Activision decided to kill the game by releasing it the same day as a remake of GoldenEye; they should have known that it doesn't matter what masterpiece you're releasing alongside a remake of GoldenEye - the remake wins). Plus, this is Daniel Craig's Bond, unlike GoldenEye 2010 which, while it did have Craig's Bond, he was thrust into a Brosnan world.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Comments

• I wasn't a huge fan of the story but the gameplay was good. I think it was better than goldeneye (which, btw, ruined the film), and the driving levels were good. Joss stone is hot, and I liked the prison escape level.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    my favourite levels was the DB5, the party, and the DBS missions.

The best parts are the dialogues, they make the game the best.
    Especially those long dialogues they make before the Siberia and the Party missions. Awesome ones. It's good to get a feel of a movie on it.
  • Easily my favorite Bond game since EoN. I wish they'd taken the engine and made improvements to the game for a game in 2011 instead of rehashing the GE:Reloaded idea.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Joss stone is hot

A truer statement could never be made.
  • My favourite of all time are either FRWL or Nightfire. Recently, i like both QoS and Goldeneye Reloaded better than Blood Stone, just doesn't do it for me. I like first person Bond better aswell.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I think there should be more third-persons. They give a Bond game the chance to step out of GoldenEye 64's shadow and really shine as video games.
  • Well From Russia With Love was 3rd person and I enjoyed that, I liked it more than EoN in fact, don't know why. All time best is Nightfire though!
    Well From Russia With Love was 3rd person and I enjoyed that, I liked it more than EoN in fact, don't know why. All time best is Nightfire though!

Much agreed my man! Nightfire is the best ever! And as for Bloodstone, it is second best, right behind Nightfire. It is the first Bond game to get 3rd person right, and it does not fail to deliver the action-packed fun! I love the cover system blended with the amazing 3rd person, terrific graphics, and the beastly hand-to-hand combat! No longer the complicated fighting system of EoN, the repetitive knock-outs of FRWL, or the bothersome "press this button now" style of QoS. Instead, we get a simple yet extremely Bond-ish fighting style that is smooth and swift. Also, I like the smart AI, who can actually be fooled like real opponents! Unlike some of the older Bond games, where the enemies are programmed to know where you are, you can trick your enemies and use Bond-like stealth that makes you feel like 007 yourself. Yes, Bloodstone is epic!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    They need to unchartered-ify Bond games from here on out.
    00Beast wrote:
    the beastly hand-to-hand combat! No longer the complicated fighting system of EoN, the repetitive knock-outs of FRWL, or the bothersome "press this button now" style of QoS. Instead, we get a simple yet extremely Bond-ish fighting style that is smooth and swift.

This was Blood Stone's best feature, and it was so damn fun! More than once, I found myself going through levels doing nothing but melee takedowns, and it was fun as hell.
  • 00Beast wrote:
    the beastly hand-to-hand combat! No longer the complicated fighting system of EoN, the repetitive knock-outs of FRWL, or the bothersome "press this button now" style of QoS. Instead, we get a simple yet extremely Bond-ish fighting style that is smooth and swift.

This was Blood Stone's best feature, and it was so damn fun! More than once, I found myself going through levels doing nothing but melee takedowns, and it was fun as hell.

Totally agreed. The whole game was like a lesser version of Splinter Cell: Conviction. I just hope that Activision revisits the 3rd person games.
  • I liked it alot more than I thought I would. I bought GE Wii and BS at the same time and played GE Wii first as I figured it would be better. I ended up liking BS because it had a much more cinematic feel to it. Plus it was an original story and was my Bond fix between QOS and SF.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like this game. It's not ahead of its time, it's not even original in most respects, but I like playing as Bond and walking through this game with relative ease and cool tricks. I think the graphics and music are fine, I'm okay with the plot and overall I don't think the gameplay is all that bad. The game brings fairly little new to the table but I don't mind. It's a fun game to play over a lazy Sunday afternoon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The game kept me entertained, and I come back to it every once in a while. The driving bits were good, like they should've been, the action as Bond was cool(I'm a sucker for being Bond), it was 3rd person(Bonus points), and the "PTS" and several bits were entertaining. The ending was garbage, as well as Pomerov as a villain and Niki as a Bond girl/villainous. We see Bond has realized that Niki was the one behind it all, but we never know HOW he knows this. The story majorly dropped the ball several times for me, but it is and always will be fun to be James Bond.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    00Beast wrote:

EoN fighting system actually's the best out there in shooting games. It is not complicated, not for me.
    The game kept me entertained, and I come back to it every once in a while. The driving bits were good, like they should've been, the action as Bond was cool(I'm a sucker for being Bond), it was 3rd person(Bonus points), and the "PTS" and several bits were entertaining. The ending was garbage, as well as Pomerov as a villain and Niki as a Bond girl/villainous. We see Bond has realized that Niki was the one behind it all, but we never know HOW he knows this. The story majorly dropped the ball several times for me, but it is and always will be fun to be James Bond.

I think Bond figured it out because of the knife.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I think Bond figured it out because of the knife.

The diamonds on the knife, yeah, that could be...
    The ending was interesting, but leaving a Bond game open for a direct sequel was a big mistake. They should of wrapped up the story. Sadly, we'll never know who that "powerful man" is that Nicole was talking about
    bondbat007 wrote:
    The ending was interesting, but leaving a Bond game open for a direct sequel was a big mistake. They should of wrapped up the story. Sadly, we'll never know who that "powerful man" is that Nicole was talking about

Exactly. Cliffhangers are only passable when it is a sure thing a sequel will come afterwards, but BS shipped out with GE, so the sales suffered.
    bondbat007 wrote:

Exactly. Cliffhangers are only passable when it is a sure thing a sequel will come afterwards, but BS shipped out with GE, so the sales suffered.

I actually understand Activision releasing them at the same time. It gives every Bond fan something to get. But they released it the week before COD came out (again). That's why sales suffered. Goldeneye sold well because it's Goldeneye and it was Wii owners only option for a good FPS.

Who knows, maybe that Raven game is a Blood Stone sequel?
    bondbat007 wrote:
    bondbat007 wrote:

I actually understand Activision releasing them at the same time. It gives every Bond fan something to get. But they released it the week before COD came out (again). That's why sales suffered. Goldeneye sold well because it's Goldeneye and it was Wii owners only option for a good FPS.

Who knows, maybe that Raven game is a Blood Stone sequel?
    Hopefully the Raven game is still in develpment...

The rumor is that two games are coming out. I'm guessing the Raven game is one of them. I could be wrong but I hope I'm not
    bondbat007 wrote:

The rumor is that two games are coming out. I'm guessing the Raven game is one of them. I could be wrong but I hope I'm not

I hope you aren't too. From the screenshots we've seen, it looked great.
    Here were the screenshots showing the Raven game in action:
    article-1291918835638-0C6A6838000005DC-235148_636x300.jpg
    Raven%20Bond%202--article_image.jpg
    Raven%20Bond%20header--article_image.jpg
    jamesraven.jpg
    gaming_activision_raven_firslook4d.jpg
    It'll be an awesome game if it comes out, judging by these screenshots.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I actually understand Activision releasing them at the same time. It gives every Bond fan something to get.

Except that every Bond fan wanted GoldenEye. You put out any Bond game alongside a remake of GoldenEye, the remake wins out. Doesn't matter how good the other Bond game is (and I do believe that Blood Stone is superior to GoldenEye 2010), GoldenEye remakes always win. Look at how people got over Rogue Agent, then the game came out and - what? This is no Bond game! It's a lousy fanfiction that pits the bad guys against each other!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,882
    I think Jet Li's Rise To Honour has the best hand-to-hand combat i've experienced in a game (usung the right stick to attack in 360 degree). But as far as Bond goes, then my favourite combat engine was in EON.
    It'll be an awesome game if it comes out, judging by these screenshots.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I actually understand Activision releasing them at the same time. It gives every Bond fan something to get.

Except that every Bond fan wanted GoldenEye. You put out any Bond game alongside a remake of GoldenEye, the remake wins out. Doesn't matter how good the other Bond game is (and I do believe that Blood Stone is superior to GoldenEye 2010), GoldenEye remakes always win. Look at how people got over Rogue Agent, then the game came out and - what? This is no Bond game! It's a lousy fanfiction that pits the bad guys against each other!

I recently replayed GERA, and I was really disappointed. I used to love it, but now I've realized that it is not a true Bond game. I did enjoy the fan fiction of the villains somewhat, but we needed Bond in the game for one, and for two, we needed to have the villains on the same side. Also, I wish they hadn't brought back villains like Dr. No, Goldfinger, Scaramanga, and Xenia, because they were clearly dead by the end of their movie. Blofeld and Oddjob could have been understandable, since we never got full closure on what happened to them. As for the gameplay in GERA, I realized how limited the game feels. It was a stupid decision to name the game GoldenEye Rogue Agent just to attract sales from the original N64 GE. Clearly, it didn't work out well.
    It is pretty safe to assumed Oddjob got fried to death. Just saying.

We need a Bond game that is to the franchise like Batman Arkham Asylum and City have been to Batman. We need fans helming the development of the game.
    Well, They made GERA with the description that the guy had lost his right eye. Then Scaramanga makes him a Cyborg from the night to the day. His eye's golden, so he got the 'Goldeneye' nick.
    Well, they could have a lot more of imagination and creativity, and invent a new name for that guy, not to fool us with the "Goldeneye 2" thing.
    It is pretty safe to assumed Oddjob got fried to death. Just saying.

We need a Bond game that is to the franchise like Batman Arkham Asylum and City have been to Batman. We need fans helming the development of the game.

Speaking of which, why don't these game enterprises makes out a game from the fan ideas? It would be cool.