Jack Reacher

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, that was my thought when I saw it last night: I loved Knepper in 'Prison Break' and always enjoy seeing him get more roles, but any roles he's done aside from that seem to be pretty generic and bad.
    Hopefully this reverses the trend, then.

I have faith in Tom Cruise to put a good product up on the screen. As I've said before, I've never walked out of a Cruise film having not been entertained on some level. I'm expecting that to continue with Jack Reacher: Never Go Back.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Creasy47, if they don't predictably cast him as a villain (with a twist) that would at least be something. I'm hoping they get the best out of him.

Funny, when I read his character synopsis, it brought back memories of Jon Voight's character (Jonas Hodges) in Season 7 of 24. Now that was a great character.
    @bondjames, thankfully, it seems Patrick Heusinger is going to be the main villain in it, so at most, Knepper will be some government agent-turned-bad or a henchman. If he does play a good guy the whole way through, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    I'm glad Knepper is in this movie.I really like the actor.

Also I just found out that this year the book "Make me" will be translated in my language and published here. I'm surprised they got the last book here to quickly, and even though I haven't hard too many good words for it I am definitely looking forward to adding it to my collection :)
  • Apparently Lee Child has another cameo in this one , maybe it'll become a running gag like Michael Wilson's cameos.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    He will always have a cameo in the films, I'm sure.

I think Cobie is quite watchable at least.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondjames, thankfully, it seems Patrick Heusinger is going to be the main villain in it, so at most, Knepper will be some government agent-turned-bad or a henchman. If he does play a good guy the whole way through, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

@Creasy47, how I see it going is like this:

Knepper's Harkness character likely has a history with Reacher, and after Reacher leaves the army (maybe falling out with him), they lose contact. Fast forward to the present as Reacher is facing off against whatever villain is in this film, and Harkness and his contractor firm will likely be hired by the baddie as his personal guard/army to go up against Jack, possibly to stop him from proving his innocence (likely because the baddie or someone close to him actually did it and planned to frame Reacher for it). Harkness's character might actually believe that Reacher committed the crime, and his involvement as far as he knows it in whatever scheme the baddie is planning is honest and uncorrupted, maybe even because he trusts the baddie very much. I could see Harkness then turning his back on the baddie when he realizes Reacher wasn't really the killer, driving him to work with Jack in the finale of the film to bring justice to the villain and all that garbage.

I could be wrong, but that's where I could see it going.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2016 Posts: 12,459
    It will have some tie to the plot of the book. Maybe loosely.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How close was the first movie to the book it was based on? I've never been a big fan of it, so I was curious in case I one day wanted to read the series. I know Tom isn't recognized as a worthy live-action Reacher, but here I'm more concerned about how closely the plots of the book and film measure up.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2016 Posts: 8,009
    How close was the first movie to the book it was based on? I've never been a big fan of it, so I was curious in case I one day wanted to read the series. I know Tom isn't recognized as a worthy live-action Reacher, but here I'm more concerned about how closely the plots of the book and film measure up.

Pretty close. The setting was different, and a couple of subplots were altered but for the most part it was a pretty straight adaptation, considering huge chunks of the books are focused on Reacher's deductive thoughts.

The film's motivation for the villain was a bit clearer though, from what I remember. The reasoning in the book was the same but clumsily handled, so the film improved on that. Although, they couldn't manage to make it any more interesting.
  • CaL-iIXUMAAjI10.jpg Never Go Back wrapped filming today.
    ...didn't realize it was even filming, let alone done by this point. It's why I enjoy not following other films like I do Bond, the shooting and trailer premieres always manage to surprise me.
  • 51uxVrfZpUL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg The cover art and a synopsis for the next book has been revealed.

In the morning, they gave Reacher a medal. And in the afternoon, they sent him back to school.
    Night School takes Reacher back to his army days, but this time he’s not in uniform. With trusted sergeant Frances Neagley at his side, he must carry the fate of the world on his shoulders, in a wired, fiendishly clever new adventure that will make the cold sweat trickle down your spine.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Henry Jackman is doing the music for the movie. The poster look likes very Bourne Ultimatum http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2345605376/tt3393786?ref_=tt_ov_i
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 503
    For those of us who are too impatient to wait for Night School (i.e. Me) , Lee Child's Website has uploaded the first few chapters . http://www.leechild.com/books/night-school.php
  • A couple of pictures from Never Go Back
    jack+reacher+2.jpg

jack+reacher+2.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Looking forward to this! I loved the first Jack Reacher movie.
    The parade scene/festival featured in that photo reminds me of SP's PTS. Looks like a ghostly, Halloween themed street show, which does bring to mind the gothic and skull-filled Day of the Dead celebrations in SP.
  • A couple of pictures from Never Go Back
    jack+reacher+2.jpg

tom-cruise-1-800.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    A couple of pictures from Never Go Back
    jack+reacher+2.jpg
    They appear to be in Louisiana for Mardi Gras. Cruise is looking good. Can't wait.
    I think Tom secretly found the fountain of youth long ago (no doubt hidden somewhere in California, it seems) and has been drinking plentifully from it ever since.
    bondjames wrote: »
    A couple of pictures from Never Go Back
    jack+reacher+2.jpg
    They appear to be in Louisiana for Mardi Gras. Cruise is looking good. Can't wait.

Ah. I wonder if we can expect a wink to Bond where a dead body littered in the street by one of Reacher's enemies is picked up with a coffin?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,548
    Murdock wrote: »
    Looking forward to this! I loved the first Jack Reacher movie.

Me too. It was an underrated film, with a great car chase, and I truly liked the end fight between Cruise and Courtney, because it wasn't ridiculously drawn out.

On a separate note, I really like Tom Cruise and find him to be the most unfairly maligned actor in the biz.
  • GOOD NEWS! Lee Child has signed up for 3 more Reacher books plus a volume of short stories and a novella. I'm thrilled about this because a few years ago he said he'd stop at 21 books, which means this year's book could have been the last
    it also means more material for the movies .
    http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/64854
    I wish Child boatloads of continued success. It's every aspiring writer's dream to hook audiences with a set of characters that you can keep telling stories about and delivering up to them to your heart's content. I really need to read some of these books some day, and see what they're all about.
  • I wish Child boatloads of continued success. It's every aspiring writer's dream to hook audiences with a set of characters that you can keep telling stories about and delivering up to them to your heart's content. I really need to read some of these books some day, and see what they're all about.
    Do it. You'll be addicted after a book or two.
    And yet Lee won't do 007... If I remember he was offered a few times but turned down because IFP had too many rules. Would love to see in a post Deaver world if they could off Child to do anything he wanted what he would do.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I was genuinely surprised to hear there was to be a second J Reacher movie. I enjoyed
    The first film, thought it actually needed to be a bit more violent, but it was a decent
    Thriller but nothing special. I also thought it only did moderately at the box office.
    Although T Cruise does tend to put out some decent films, so I'm sure this will be good.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Risico007 wrote: »
    And yet Lee won't do 007... If I remember he was offered a few times but turned down because IFP had too many rules. Would love to see in a post Deaver world if they could off Child to do anything he wanted what he would do.

Good for him. IFP don't know wtf they're doing. Like most things Bond there are too many antiquated and draconian stipulations and even the the end result is mediocre at best. It's a sad state of affairs when the young Bond novels are the only consistent critically acclaimed pieces of Bond output in years.