"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

edited November 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 11,119
As "Star Trek" will become a 'hot sought' item again with a new upcoming movie and a new TV series planned for release this year and next year -all during its 50th Anniversary- I like to dedicate this topic entirely to all the Trek TV series. As we have separate topics for TV Series and Movies I kindly ask the forum moderators to keep this topic open (While in the meanwhile renaming the general 'Star Trek'-topic into Star Trek: Movies (1979-present)). This will become a discussion topic solely dedicated to 'Star Trek' on the small screen.

"Star Trek: The Original Series" (3 seasons, 1966-1969)
E1CC4QK.jpg
"Star Trek: The Animated Series" (2 seasons, 1973-1974)
UTz2b51.png
"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (7 seasons, 1987-1994)
c862Tbq.jpg
"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (7 seasons, 1992-1999)
7MeBC7M.jpg
"Star Trek: Voyager" (7 seasons, 1994-2001)
yQHlcNL.jpg
"Star Trek: Enterprise" (4 seasons, 2001-2005)
LGGJjbM.png
"Star Trek: Discovery" (2017-........)
rmjbAvE.jpg

Now the Big Poll Question:

What is your TOP 6 of favorite Star Trek TV Series???

Comments

Personally, I would put "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" on top. It's the smartest, most serious spin-off and it is entirely relevant when looking at today's geopolitical affairs. The ongoing Dominion War storyline makes the series even more interesting, from season 3 and onwards (though season 2 has some very exciting Bajoran episodes).

Special mention goes to the exciting 4th season of "Star Trek: Enterprise". Beautiful ongoing storyline with the Vulcans and Romulans throughout the season:

01) "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"
    02) "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
    03) "Star Trek: Enterprise"
    04) "Star Trek: Voyager"
    05) "Star Trek: The Original Series"
    06) "Star Trek: The Animated Series"
    Big news about the new Star Trek series. It will A) have very accurate continuity and B) the first season will probably take place in the 'Mirror Universe' as featured in 'Deep Space Nine' and 'Enterprise':

http://screencrush.com/cbs-star-trek-kirsten-beyer-writer-voyager/
    Star Trek has put most of its energy into hyping the upcoming Beyond over its 2017 return to TV (or streaming, anyway), but that’s no reason to lose excitement. To wit, the CBS streaming series adds another notable name from Trek canon to its ranks, placing Star Trek: Voyager novelist and continuity expert Kirsten Beyer on the staff.

TrekCore confirmed the as-yet-untitled Star Trek reboot series’ latest hire, pointing to Beyer’s past history writing eight full-length novels set after Voyager’s end. Beyer is also well known for “her knack with tying disparate bits of Trek continuity together,” which could prove important if Birth.Movies.Death’s report of the series first season involving the Mirror Universe proves true.

Shooting in Toronto this fall, the new Star Trek was said to return to the timeline previously rebooted by J.J. Abrams’ film series, sometime between Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country and The Next Generation TV series. The first season might also end up “heavily serialized” with a new, non-Enterprise ship, though other reports suggest the series overall could operate as an anthology, changing time, setting and focus from season to season.

Bryan Fuller will headline the new streaming iteration of Star Trek as co-creator and executive producer, while Wrath of Khan director Nicholas Meyer has also joined alongside Gene Roddenberry’s son Rod. So reads the initial synopsis for the series, which debuts on CBS in January 2017 before moving to All-Access:

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Fellow producer Alex Kurtzman wrote both the 2009 Star Trek reboot and its 2013 sequel with frequent partner Roberto Orci, though Orci has no involvement in the new TV series.

Additional details will likely emerge soon, but what should we expect from the new streaming Star Trek?

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-new-star-trek-show-gets-a-logo
    CBS presented a quick teaser and logo reveal for their Star Trek All Access show (ie, the show that will be streaming on their All Access internet channel), and it confirms a scoop I shared with you guys some weeks ago: the show will be an anthology. Where does that confirmation happen? Why, in the "New Crews" part at the end.

I love it! The whole teaser sort of reminds me of the end credits of JJ's Star Trek 2009, but I think that once the original music kicks in at the end and the logo appears... well, man, I just got goosebumps. I have to admit it.

I am so excited for this show. I'm hoping for the best when it comes to Star Trek Beyond, but all my chips are really on this show and Bryan Fuller. And I'll tell you, I'm putting even more chips on the show now that I know something else about the first season: it's going to involve The Mirror Universe. I love The Mirror Universe. I'm excited to revisit The Mirror Universe.

Start saving your credits, as Star Trek is only going to be available on CBS All Access, and it's gonna be a weekly show, so you can't even binge it when it comes out and then cancel the service! I think this'll be well worth paying for.

While some may say he is the greatest critical mind of his time, Devin Faraci humbly insists he is only the voice of a generation. When not mainlining anime, Devin is the editor-in-chief of Birth.Movies.Death. He has been writing about movies online since there was a 21st century.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    CBS is not good news, they'll be only interested in ratings. The new series is therefore doomed from the beginning.
    If history has shown anything than that tv execs never understoid what Star Trek is about and that it takes time to establish a Trek series.
    CBS is not good news, they'll be only interested in ratings. The new series is therefore doomed from the beginning.
    If history has shown anything than that tv execs never understoid what Star Trek is about and that it takes time to establish a Trek series.

Okay, let's be happy first that we actually GET a new Trek-series, shall we ;-)? Secondly, pre-production of the new Trek-series has already been going on for two years.

You should have a look at the names who are behind the new Trek-series production. THEY completely excite me. CBS execs basically gave these creators 'carte blanche' with this new TV-series:

--> Nicholas Meyer: director of "Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan" and "Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country", two of the best critically acclaimed TOS-movies.
    --> Bryan Fuller: The creator of the critically acclaimed prequel TV-series "Hannibal" with Mads Mikkelsen. He also co-wrote episodes of "Deep Space Nine" and "Voyager".
    --> Rod Roddenberry: The son of the late creator of "Star Trek", Gene Roddenberry.
    --> Alex Kurtzman: co-writer of "Star Trek 11: 2009" and "Star Trek 12: Into Darkness".

So, be happy that the men who basically initiated the downfall of "Star Trek", Rick Berman & Brannon Braga, have been sidelined completely. They are hated by the Trek-fan-community.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,020
    DS9 is my favourite
    But......my darling Jason! If you love DS9 so much.....then you're gonna like the new Trek-series :-D!!! As quoted by DenOfGeek:

01 Mar 2016

Nicholas Meyer: "'The Undiscovered Country' as a Touchstone"

In an interview with Den of Geek, Nicholas Meyer said about the new series: "I think it's going to be a different Star Trek. It will go in a different direction. And I think that is probably good. Because the thing that mainly troubles me about Star Trek is the fear of it being maybe re-treads of itself. And to the degree that I had any influence on the thing [Star Trek] at all was that at least while I was there, we were fooling around." On the question about the politics in the new series, Meyer added: "The one thing I can relate to you is that 'The Undiscovered Country' -according to Bryan [Fuller]- is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he's thinking about the direction of the new show. I don't want to be misquoted and I don't want to misquote him, but he's fond of that film. Let's put it that way."

COMMENT EX-ASTRIS-SCIENTIA: "Well, the first part about the new Star Trek going into a different direction is much the same phrase that was used to describe any new series (or film) of the franchise that was released since TOS. What Meyer says about 'The Undiscovered Country' being a touchstone is a bit more revealing. It could mean that the new Star Trek will put more emphasis on the military theme than we are used to from previous series. Or it could hint at interplanetary politics as the backdrop of the new series (in which case it should be better compared to DS9 though).
    There is no doubt I'll love it. I just don't expect it to last seven seasons, or four for that matter.
    I wish they would have done this with Netflix or HBO for instance.

Okay, let's be happy first that we actually GET a new Trek-series, shall we ;-)? Secondly, pre-production of the new Trek-series has already been going on for two years.

You should have a look at the names who are behind the new Trek-series production. THEY completely excite me. CBS execs basically gave these creators 'carte blanche' with this new TV-series:

--> Nicholas Meyer: director of "Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan" and "Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country", two of the best critically acclaimed TOS-movies.
    --> Bryan Fuller: The creator of the critically acclaimed prequel TV-series "Hannibal" with Mads Mikkelsen. He also co-wrote episodes of "Deep Space Nine" and "Voyager".
    --> Rod Roddenberry: The son of the late creator of "Star Trek", Gene Roddenberry.
    --> Alex Kurtzman: co-writer of "Star Trek 11: 2009" and "Star Trek 12: Into Darkness".

So, be happy that the men who basically initiated the downfall of "Star Trek", Rick Berman & Brannon Braga, have been sidelined completely. They are hated by the Trek-fan-community.

Berman and Braga being hated is a myth. They had to take the blame when they couldn't do anything about the stupid execs.
    Season 3 and 4 belong to the best Trek ever and imho the reasonable people in the Trek fan community know it.

I love season 3 and especially season 4 of 'Enterprise' a lot too. BUT you tend to forget one thing here: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga were mostly sidelined during these seasons by the execs of UPN. They were not satisfied with the way they 'recycled' too much during season 1 and 2. Instead, Manny Coto largely was responsible for the creative writing process of the last season of 'Enterprise' (Manny Coto is the creator of "Dexter" and "24").
    one of my favorite bridges. Can someone guess from what ship and what ship's class this bridge is ;-)?

equinox-bridge.jpg
    USS Equinox I would say. So is it your favourite ship as well.
    Mine would be the Defiant probably.
    Did you do that drawing? It's very nice.
    USS Equinox I would say. So is it your favourite ship as well.
    Mine would be the Defiant probably.
    Did you do that drawing? It's very nice.

No. Someone from Ex-Astros-Scientia did it.

Anyway, are there actually more Trekking who are slightly more into the TV Series than the Movie Series?

But I was right about the Equinox?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Given how the diffrent regions of the UK, have different school holidays. I always
    remember as kids being brought in to the school TV room, to watch some educational
    programme, then begging the teacher to let us switch over to watch, an early
    morning repeat of Star Trek. Our teacher must have been a fan, as he always gave in. :D
    Given how the diffrent regions of the UK, have different school holidays. I always
    remember as kids being brought in to the school TV room, to watch some educational
    programme, then begging the teacher to let us switch over to watch, an early
    morning repeat of Star Trek. Our teacher must have been a fan, as he always gave in. :D

Which series was it?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sorry, Original series, but in the mid 70s.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I have to be honest, I've not seen much of Star Trek beyond the original series.
    I have to be honest, I've not seen much of Star Trek beyond the original series.

You are missing something. Big time ;-).
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

You are missing something. Big time ;-).

I'll have to do something about that.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My favorite series is by far The Original Series I lump the Animated Series with it as it's final 2 series completing out the 5 year mission. My second favorite is Deep Space 9, I haven't finished it yet but I'm getting there. The Next Generation is okay for the most part but not my favorite.

I couldn't sit through more than 4 or five episodes of Voyager and Enterprise before blocking it out of my memory. I found them both to be terrible.

I'm excited for the new Series. It's a shame it won't be on regular TV. I'll only be able to see the pilot since I don't have CBS on Demand or whatever it's going to be on.
    Murdock wrote: »
    My favorite series is by far The Original Series I lump the Animated Series with it as it's final 2 series completing out the 5 year mission. My second favorite is Deep Space 9, I haven't finished it yet but I'm getting there. The Next Generation is okay for the most part but not my favorite.

I couldn't sit through more than 4 or five episodes of Voyager and Enterprise before blocking it out of my memory. I found them both to be terrible.

I'm excited for the new Series. It's a shame it won't be on regular TV. I'll only be able to see the pilot since I don't have CBS on Demand or whatever it's going to be on.

I have the Animated series worthwhile for the episode Yesteryear, a episode worthy of the original series.
    Here's a compliation of all "Star Trek" TV Series main title sequences:

"Star Trek: The Original Series":

"Star Trek: The Animated Series":

"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (Just love the Jerry Goldsmith theme):

"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine""

"Star Trek: Voyager":

"Star Trek: Enterprise":

"Star Trek: 2017":

And, a wondeful space battle between the Dominion (Founders, Jem'Hadar, Vorta, Cardassians) and the United Federation Of Planets/Klingon Empire. I think it's from season 5 of "Deep Space Nine". Later, at the end of season 6, the Dominion expands with the Breen. And the Federation/Klingon forces will expaned with the Romulan Star Empire:

And the famous spave battle at 'Wolf 359' between the United Federation Of Planets at the Borg. And as you know, at that time Captain Jean-Luc Picard was Locutus of Borg:
    Some of my favourite Deep Space Nine episodes. There are so many really.

It's Only A Paper Moon

Our Man Bashir

Far Beyond The Stars

In The Pale Moonlight

The Way Of The Warrior

Trials And Tribble-ations

The Visitor

Rocks And Shoals

Duet

In Purgatory's Shadow

The Siege Of AR-558
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Some other stand out DS9 episodes, season 3 on reflection had some outstanding shows.

The Search parts 1 + 2
    Past Tense parts 1 + 2
    Heart of Stone
    The Die is cast
    Home front/Paradise lost
    Shattered Mirror
    Sacrifice of Angles
    Who Mourns Morn
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TOS rules (and by extension, TAS).
    Stun me now because VOY & TNG rock IMO.
    DS9 & ENT are very good too...
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    I love all the shows watched every episode, watched TOS and TNG considerably more than the others. TOS definately my favourite TNG still superb, these shows were brilliant so bar is high.

1 Star Trek: TOS
    2 Star Trek: TNG
    3 Star Trek: DS9
    4 Star Trek: Voyager
    5 Star Trek: Enterprise
    6 Star Trek: The Animated Series
    The writing was especially amazing on certain TOS & TNG eps.
    Balance of Terror and Measure of a Man both outstanding television, watched both those episodes hundreds of times from TOS and TNG respectively.

And those are just two of many possible examples... :)>-
    Balance of Terror and Measure of a Man both outstanding television, watched both those episodes hundreds of times from TOS and TNG respectively.

I guess you know, but here it is anyway:
    Measure Of A Man got special treatment by Okuda & Co. when they redid the whole TNG show for the High Definition transfers.

The did an extended version of it on the Blu-ray release of TNG.

Needless to say, TNG on Blu-ray is out of this world, borderline insanity beautiful :D in picture and sound, not to mention the grotesque amount of Special Features that they did, old and new.