Critically Acclaimed Films You Don't Like

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    bondjames wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    M_Balje wrote: »
    National Treasure 2. Bought BD in 2015 and mabey second view i wil like it more.
    Agreed. First one was great. This was a let down for me
    Hardly a critically acclaimed film though, is it?
    Saw
    Neither was this. What's your point?

You're right. Thought it was better received, but I've looked it up and apprantly reviews were mixed. I should take it from my 'overrated' list ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    M_Balje wrote: »
    National Treasure 2. Bought BD in 2015 and mabey second view i wil like it more.
    Agreed. First one was great. This was a let down for me
    Hardly a critically acclaimed film though, is it?
    Saw
    Neither was this. What's your point?

You're right. Thought it was better received, but I've looked it up and apprantly reviews were mixed. I should take it from my 'overrated' list ;)
    No worries. I thought National Treasure (the original) was better received than it actually was, but apparently not when I checked. Sometimes the rotten tomato reviews (which is where I tend to go to check these kinds of things) are changed over the years anyway.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Really liked the first 'National Treasure'. 2nd one was less good but it was still pretty cool. I hope they can make a 3rd one some day, been waiting almost 10 years now.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I highly enjoy those films as well. They've been discussing a 3rd for awhile now.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 7,500
    jobo wrote: »
    Indiana Jones.
    ALL of them?? God, my poor heart can't take this...
    ;)

Yes, more or less. I can enjoy Last Crusade on a good day. But that is pretty much it. I just don't care much for Raiders. Its cheesy, action frantic to the point of boring. I'm sorry ;)

That being said I seem to have a problem with Spielberg in general. He is technically gifted and knows his craft no doubt. He is just not my cup of tea.
    2001 a space odyssee - I am sorry this movie makes me fall asleep every time, I prefer the book better.
    The shining - the movie has its moments but the book is so much better.
    Skyfall - the longer the movie lasts the less I like it.
    Spectre - Another Mendes style over substance, his two 007 movies make met like QoB a lot better.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Braveheart

I actually came out of the cinema angry after seeing this tripe!

Historically a load of cod sporran swinging bollocks and just such a transparent dig at the English it'd be offensive if it wasn't so laughable.

Oooh here's the nasty old English! Cowards. rapists and evil!

And here's the loveable Scottish! Brave, strong and respectful to their womenfolk!!!

Obviously the Yanks loved it and probably believe it's all true!

My most hated film.

Oh and John Wick was the biggest POS of last year.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Braveheart

Historically a load of cod sporran swinging bollocks and just such a transparent dig at the English it'd be offensive if it wasn't so laughable.

And here's the loveable Scottish! Brave, strong and respectful to their womenfolk!!!

My most hated film.

In just a matter of sentences, you went from being incredibly offended over how the English were portrayed in a fictional film, just to knock us Americans down a peg because some of us enjoyed it (which, in turn, obviously means we believe it's all true?) Well done!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Braveheart

My most hated film.

In just a matter of sentences, you went from being incredibly offended over how the English were portrayed in a fictional film, just to knock us Americans down a peg because some of us enjoyed it (which, in turn, obviously means we believe it's all true?) Well done!

Well you did give it the best picture Oscar!

I know it's only a fictional film which is why I did intend my post to be somewhat humorous....!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Braveheart

My most hated film.

I know it's only a fictional film which is why I did intend my post to be somewhat humorous....!

I wouldn't have. Apollo 13 should have won that year.
    Braveheart

My most hated film.

Agreed.

With Braveheart winning best film at the AA I'd say that Americans bought into the 'true story' claims of the film and elevated it to a higher status. When in reality the film is about as historically accurate and dramatically complex as Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Braveheart

My most hated film.

Agreed.

With Braveheart winning best film at the AA I'd say that Americans bought into the 'true story' claims of the film and elevated it to a higher status. When in reality the film is about as historically accurate and dramatically complex as Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves!

Us trivial Americans perhaps became attracted to the story of bravery, unity and endurance the film portrayed. Are we allowed that?

Us trivial Americans perhaps became attracted to the story of bravery, unity and endurance the film portrayed. Are we allowed that?[/quote]

Of course you are. I'm sure they're the very words Oscar lives by...
    @LeonardPine, what are some historical films based in reality that you enjoy?
    If you mean films based on 'true stories' then not many i'm afraid. Too many liberties with the truth in most of them.

Probably why i would never watch Argo (Another best picture winner!)

I quite enjoyed American Sniper and Zero Dark Thirty though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Zodiac is a great example of a film with a basis in history that really hits it out of the ballpark. Obviously liberties are taken, as with everything, because one has to imagine conversations between two people that only they were there to hear. Still, it's one of the most unhinged and tension-filled movies I've ever seen, and one of my absolute favorites.
    If you mean films based on 'true stories' then not many i'm afraid. Too many liberties with the truth in most of them.

Probably why i would never watch Argo (Another best picture winner!)

I quite enjoyed American Sniper and Zero Dark Thirty though.

The former was garbage (wasn't involved in this Chris Kyle obsession some Americans seemed to have), but I quite liked 'Zero Dark Thirty.' The raid on bin Laden's compound was thrilling and well done, and I thought Chastain played a great lead in it.
    Apparently some bandwagon has emerged proclaiming Crash as some misread masterpiece. I had to watch it seven times throughout high school. Take it from me, folks. Crash is a melodramatic preachy corny piece of shit.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There are two films called Crash.
    Apparently some bandwagon has emerged proclaiming Crash as some misread masterpiece. I had to watch it seven times throughout high school. Take it from me, folks. Crash is a melodramatic preachy corny piece of shit.

By that final description, I can only assume you mean the 2005 Oscar Winner and not the twisted Cronenberg movie?

By that final description, I can only assume you mean the 2005 Oscar Winner and not the twisted Cronenberg movie?

Yes. I prefer to pretend the Cronenberg film doesn't exist.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I don't mind 'Crash' (only saw it twice since it came out a decade ago), but the fact it won Best Picture against 'Munich' (IMO the most intelligent political/historical thriller of the 21st century), does not sit well with me.
    I don't mind 'Crash' (only saw it twice since it came out a decade ago), but the fact it won Best Picture against 'Munich' (IMO the most intelligent political/historical thriller of the 21st century), does not sit well with me.

You and I both. It's almost as bad as 'Shakespeare in Love' beating 'Saving Private Ryan.'
    Zodiac is a great example of a film with a basis in history that really hits it out of the ballpark. Obviously liberties are taken, as with everything, because one has to imagine conversations between two people that only they were there to hear. Still, it's one of the most unhinged and tension-filled movies I've ever seen, and one of my absolute favorites.

I don't mind if a film takes liberties with a true story as long as it admits this beforehand. I can't stand films that purport to be based on real events and completely fabricate the truth.

Barely any 'true stories' are in my top 250 films.

Did really like United 93 because I think Paul Greengrass really did his best to tell the facts and produce a very powerful film.

Also liked his other true story Captain Phillips

I got half way through and realised it was a patronising, condescending, POS.

Oscar really does have a lot to answer for!

The other patronising rubbish I really hate is Forrest Gump
    'Captain Phillips' is also good, but another one that's not 100% in tune with the real events.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934) (a mid to lesser Capra at best), THE AFRICAN QUEEN (1951)(I love Bogie, Hepburn and Huston, but not this one), THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (1994) (it looks nice, but it had every prison movie cliche there had ever been shoved into one film, and the story was lame), BRAVEHEART (what a total pile of rubbish, I absolutely hated everything about this one).

Glad someone has the same low opinion of Braveheart as myself!

Shawshank while I like it, is not the greatest film ever made by a long shot. And you're right, it has all the prison cliché's.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I agree on Braveheart. For me it's the DAD of historical epics. The only thing I liked about it was Sophie Marceau's performance. For the rest it's an oversimplified, badly acted and self-indulgent insult to history.

Then people bash Kingdom of Heaven, which actually has something thoughtful to say, is beautifully shot and has our beloved Eva Green in a stellar performance. Also, look at how much better the great Brendan Gleeson functions in this one than in Braveheart.
    I actually think you see her ta-tas in it
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,399
    i dont hate The Dark Knight... but lets call it like it is, it's an episode of Law & Order with Batman characters in it - and Batman as a guest star.