No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Jamie Bell is as far from Fleming's vision as possible.
    If BB considers him Bond material we are in for a bad surprise.
    I very seriously doubt that Bell is under consideration for the part of Bond.
    Also I posted in the wrong thread. Edited to fix, sorry.
    I
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    The Craig getting old & needing time to decide bit is getting old imo. I have respect for DC & am grateful for what he has given us in the 4 he has done, but he signed on for two more after SF. If you have the chance to do another why wouldnt you, EON wants him back, Its not all Craig but he is holding up the show to some degree.

I suppose the possible back story is that actually Craig is intending to do two more EON entries to match Connery and all this is actually just toying with the fans and the media. Loads of free publicity and they are assuming everyone will be really happy when Craig announces he is coming back after all.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,416
    This page is from 3hrs later:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/28/sam-mendes-james-bond-is-not-a-democracy---the-next-actor-will-b/
    Sam Mendes: James Bond is not a democracy - the next actor will be a shock
    Mendes, who confirmed he is leaving the franchise after working on Skyfall and Spectre, said the choice of the next Bond is “not a democracy”, warning the winning actor will be a wildcard no-one could have predicted.

Speaking at Hay Festival, sponsored by the Telegraph, he said the decision lay solely in the hands of Barbara Broccoli, the producer, who backed Daniel Craig when everyone else though him “miscast”.

I hoped on Brosnan comingback for a fift and CR get to violence introduction, but i never thaught he was miscast.
    Barbara Broccoli chooses who’s going to be the next Bond: end of story.

“Without that, there would be no Daniel Craig because public support for Daniel was zero. It was her saying ‘that man over there is going to change the whole thing, I’m going to cast him’.

There be a lot of anti Daniel Craig is Blond and some people have trouble to saying his name.
    He added of who the final choice will be: “I can guarantee whatever happens with it, it will not be what you expect. That’s what she’s been brilliant at, and that’s how it’ll survive.

“It’s not a public vote, and I think we’re in an age where everything is deemed voteable on.
    When asked about casting decisions, Mendes said no-one would have prediction the success of Craig, or even that he would have been an option when they first paired up on film for Road to Perdition in 2002.

“It’s always totally unexpected,” he said.

“If someone had said to me then, this guy is going to be cast as James Bond I would have said a) no way, and b) you’re mad.

“Because at that point I would have said he was totally miscast. At that point, to me, Bond was urbane, witty, eyebrow-raising. And Daniel was all about intensity and commitment and seemed wrong to me.

“And I said that at the time he was cast, but I was completely wrong.

“Sometimes you just don’t see it coming.”

But that he is quite with Bond, he said after Skyfall too in 2013 (year after Skyfall, like now it is 2016 the year after Spectre.)

http://www.nu.nl/film/3360826/sam-mendes-bedankt-24e-james-bond.html
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Maybe Jamie Bell is the new Blofeld ? :D

Nah, I think he's going to take over the role of Hinx from Dave Bautista. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Mendes' comments now make me think Bell could be under consideration after all.

"totally unexpected"
    "totally miscast"
    "no way"
    "you're mad"

That describes Bell down to a tee.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    =)) What a fight that would be.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    dalton wrote: »

Nah, I think he's going to take over the role of Hinx from Dave Bautista. ;)
    Or perhaps Madeleine Swann from Léa Seydoux.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    RC7 wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I'd expect Barbara to have a lot of clout, eon is her family business after all. ;)

Barbara is incredibly smart and massively underrated amongst Bond fans.

Yea MGW is smart too. I don't think underrated but not all fans agree with her choices.

If we did then no one would hate QoS and DAD.

Hey, where the heck is @Wizard?

I don't think MGW ever gets stick, though. If you can find evidence to suggest otherwise I'd love to see it. On the flip side I've seen a lot of bile directed at Barbara. Neither of them can get it right every time, but in the grand scheme of things their track record is pretty impressive. They've made bad calls over the years, but they've also made fantastic ones. That's life.

I agree with this. And I get sick of the neg. against Barbara that crops up from time to time.

Re: Mendes. He has said before that he would not be back. This time I think true. That's fine. I'm happy with a different, strong director.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I
    The Craig getting old & needing time to decide bit is getting old imo. I have respect for DC & am grateful for what he has given us in the 4 he has done, but he signed on for two more after SF. If you have the chance to do another why wouldnt you, EON wants him back, Its not all Craig but he is holding up the show to some degree.

I suppose the possible back story is that actually Craig is intending to do two more EON entries to match Connery and all this is actually just toying with the fans and the media. Loads of free publicity and they are assuming everyone will be really happy when Craig announces he is coming back after all.

Calling it now-- if Craig is staying he will have to drop out of a project or delay Bond 25 to 2019.

He's doing two confirmed seasons of Purity and shooting an action/comedy (Logan Lucky) set to release in late 2017/early summer 2018.

This is a huge problem because you have to count on him not changing his mind for 2-3 years. Meanwhile you're preparing a script that may never get filmed and trying to hold your supporting actors schedules open for the next film, which would start production most-likely sometime in late 2017 to late 2018--depending on if Craig is willing to film and do press for Logan Lucky and move straight into Bond or not, and the filming of the second season of Purity.
    bondjames wrote: »

"totally unexpected"
    "totally miscast"
    "no way"
    "you're mad"

I don't think Mendes knows a thing about casting for Bond 25. Seems to me like he was making a general statement of the nature of Broccoli's decision process, not that he had 'insider knowledge' about a casting decision.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Getafix wrote: »
    I

I would love that.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Dream Bond film: Dan back for a final movie

Direction: Campbell

Score: David Arnold

Finish with the team that started it all, I say.

I would support this, as long as its a standalone.
    Cambell has twice recreated the vision for Bond. Once with a soft reboot (which was essentially a reboot, because only Llewelyn returned and due to the 6 yr gap), and then with a hard reboot.

If he's to come back again I wonder if he'd want to adopt Mendes's/Forster's hand me
    downs for M, Q, Tanner & MP, not to mention potentially Seydoux and Waltz.

That's why I say only if its a standalone - Waltz and Seydoux not involved.

What I've learnt over the past few months is that the Bond actor isn't the most important factor in a bond film. I knew this all along, in a way, but it hasn't truly clicked until recently.

Campbell, IMO, is the number one priority for me now. Him and a strong writer(s) are what EON should be chasing for B25, not Craig, Hiddleston or anyone else.

I don't see why Campbell would be averse to bringing back the MI6 in their current form. At the very least I would hope that Whishaw would return. The other two I could lose if needed.

It really is starting to get exciting again, and not just talking the fact that there is a new film on the horizon. Ever since CR its felt like were trapped in a bubble, where there is a certain aesthetic, tone, feel the films should meet. People forget that the Craig era is one of the longest Bond runs ever, so its so refreshing to be discussing a completely new direction. There is so much chang at the moment its unbelievable.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

"totally unexpected"
    "totally miscast"
    "no way"
    "you're mad"

I don't think Mendes knows a thing about casting for Bond 25. Seems to me like he was making a general statement of the nature of Broccoli's decision process, not that he had 'insider knowledge' about a casting decision.
    I was just kidding around. I hear you.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, Seydoux costs too much to welcome back for Bond 25, so Barbara has had to cast Bell, who will wear a wig, fake breasts (implant surgery was asking too much) and lipstick for the entire duration of the film to effectively play Madeleine. Then, as Dan's Bond takes him her in his arms to plant a kiss on him her at the beginning of the film, he can look at the camera first and say, with a look of horror on his face, "This didn't happen to the other fellas."
    In this day and age of Twitter, FB and other social media a choice like Jamie Bell would create a shitstorm of gigantic proportions and possibly hurt the franchise even before the movie hits the screens.
    I'm not saying BB has to listen to social media, but it is a factor that has to be taken into account with any sensible marketing department nowadays.
    So Mendes not directing, well that's what he said months ago to be honest, hardly tomorrow's news today.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,092
    How is this latest Mendes link new news? He's said this before within the last few months. Doesn't mean much since he did the same thing before SP. Of course, I'm more inclined to believe him this time. I think he's done.
    Elliot Carver would laugh at that "news" and create some of his own with blackmailing BB into casting someone else, or giving Dr. Kaufman a call concerning Bell.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mendes' departure definitely doesn't come as a shock since he guaranteed and confirmed that months ago, but having yet another confirmation makes it a little better.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    edited May 2016 Posts: 100
    In this day and age of Twitter, FB and other social media a choice like Jamie Bell would create a shitstorm of gigantic proportions and possibly hurt the franchise even before the movie hits the screens.
    I'm not saying BB has to listen to social media, but it is a factor that has to be taken into account with any sensible marketing department nowadays.

I can bet that Coronation Street could hurt Bill Roache as well due to sex abuse controversy shit. Now, who will be the next director of Bond 25? Anyone for actor-director Mel Gibson, per chance.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Elliot Carver would laugh at that "news" and create some of his own with blackmailing BB into casting someone else, or giving Dr. Kaufman a call concerning Bell.

Carver would just have Stamper visit Bell's flat to use the actor's body as practice for manipulating chakra points. The day after, a bruised and limp Jaimie would officially rescind his name from Bond negotiations and never speak of the role again. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    Why are people still talking about Jamie Bell. Are you all on ketamine?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Why are people still talking about Jamie Bell. Are you all on ketamine?
    I quit a long time ago.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Make this happen EON!
    TdmXNiOl.jpg
    Dan needs to do at least one more.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

"totally unexpected"
    "totally miscast"
    "no way"
    "you're mad"

I'm hoping not. Just interviewing candidates. I'll get attacked but that would a bad decision.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Craig + Campbell = perfect bookends