No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    I liked Spectre though with having done two back to back films I am not sure he would have anything new to bring to the table.
    Hail and farewell, Mendes. I may be the ONLY Bond fan to say this, so here goes: if he were up for the task, I'd like John Glen to come back.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The only thing I'll really say about Mendes is he gave us two quite different films tonally.

That's impressive.

I think he was more successful with what he wanted to achieve with SF, but others seem to think SP is far better, and the views are quite polarized on both sides. That's also unique among directors who've done more than one.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Hail and farewell, Mendes. I may be the ONLY Bond fan to say this, so here goes: if he were up for the task, I'd like John Glen to come back.

In theory, I wouldn't mind it, but he's 84 years old.

Not than someone in their 80s couldn't make a good Bond film, but I think after the fairly lethargic Spectre we need someone with some new and exciting ideas brought in to do something different with the franchise.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bring on Martin Campbell or Denis Villeneuve, two very unlikely options.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Please Martin Campbell! :-SS
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Both Campbell and Villeneuve would nail the action and suspense component. I think Villeneuve could give us something darker, while Campbell would probably be more traditional. I'd be happy with either.

Campbell gets Bond implicitly though, & has introduced a new Bond actor successfully twice before, so despite his age, I lean in his direction.
    We've seen Campbell's take on the franchise. For the next film, we need something new and exciting. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Villeneuve get the gig, though.
    Am I right in thinking that Villeneuve is like a cross between Campbell and Mendes?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You don't know how good it feels to officially have him departed from the series.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    You don't know how good it feels to officially have him departed from the series.

I think some of us might have an idea. ;) :)
    Am I right in thinking that Villeneuve is like a cross between Campbell and Mendes?
    I think there's a bit of Fincher in Villeneuve, but others may disagree. I also see a bit of Mann. Just darker overall.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,372
    @dalton, actually, I had a feeling there might be a few of you that knows exactly how it feels!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think there's a bit of Fincher in Villeneuve, but others may disagree. I also see a bit of Mann. Just darker overall.
    Fincher would be a good choice, too. But I feel that his 'psychological' angle that features in most of his films has been explored enough in Bond recently.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Dream Bond film: Dan back for a final movie

Direction: Campbell

Score: David Arnold

Finish with the team that started it all, I say.
    Amen to that!
    bondjames wrote: »

Sounds good. I haven't seen his stuff, but I know Sicario got rave reviews. As long as they aren't too social commentary oriented like Mendes and Forster.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It would be brilliant to have David Arnold back =D>
    It would be brilliant to have David Arnold back =D>
    Lots of appreciation for Arnold on these boards lately. I love it!
    Despite enjoying SF and SP a lot, I'm glad Mendes is leaving. I'm ready for a new style again.
    Mendes IMHO may go down as a very talented director who really did know know himself who Bond was and, in two consecutive attempts, brought us two very different interpretations of the same character. As such, he leaves behind him a legacy of "Marmite" Bond movies and future decades of debate between us lot. Should we be happy with what we got or sad that he could not provide us with a consistent vision of what Bond meant to him? Interesting stuff
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

OMG YES.

Martin Campbell is 72 and working on a project with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan (The Foreigner) and another with Brosnan that's a Hemingway adaptation.

Sounds to me like he's licking his chops for another Bond go, as long as he feels it's "different" enough for him to distinguish from GE and CR.

I would support this, as long as its a standalone.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Mendes not coming back is no news really.

Secondly I'm amazed there are still people who didn't get it that Barbara Broccoli reigns the franchise.
    It was always her since 1996 and it will always be her. Really every major decision was made by her or forced through even against all opposition.

She will cast the new Bond and nothing will stop her if she has set up her mind.

That's what partly troubles me. She gambled big with Craig already, and luckily it paid off.
    When I hear names like Jamie Bell it makes me nervous. She will gamble again if she should have a liking for someone, no matter how not Bond he will be.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

OMG YES.

Make it happen EON! :D

If Dan returns, I guarantee it won't be.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883

Cambell has twice recreated the vision for Bond. Once with a soft reboot (which was essentially a reboot, because only Llewelyn returned and due to the 6 yr gap), and then with a hard reboot.

If he's to come back again I wonder if he'd want to adopt Mendes's/Forster's hand me downs for M, Q, Tanner & MP, not to mention potentially Seydoux and Waltz.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 5,745
    wrong thread
    I'd rather see them go all-in on the darker tone of the Craig films and bring David Fincher on board and really go for an adaptation of You Only Live Twice.

While I don't think that they've satisfactorily gotten the current story arc to a point where it's a natural choice to continue the arc, we can't be certain that the franchise will have a Bond of the caliber of Craig along with the ability to attract the kind of top-notch creative talent behind the camera to really make something great out of that story. If they can get the talent in place to do it, I say go for it and close off the Craig era with a bang, rather than the whimper that was SP.