Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but wasn't it said that a deal would be struck in the first half of 2016?

Not by anyone actually involved in the negotiations. EON stated that they thought it would be done by February, but it's not up to them.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Forgive me if I am mistaken, but wasn't it said that a deal would be struck in the first half of 2016?

And obviously it wasn't. I think Deadline had reported that Sony and WBs are in the lead. It's a finicky business, lots of $$$s to made, and lots of lawyers to go over every dotted "i" and crossed "t".

Negotiations between titans don't happen over night-- too much to gain, too much to lose.
    Actor Matthew Goode criticizes Bond franchise!

Matthew, 38, told Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby: 'I went in for it last time and Barbara [Broccoli, James Bond producer] who is completely lovely but she hasn't brought me in this time.' He continued: 'I think they should half the budget. Reboot it. I don’t think modern Bond is working as well [as old Bond].' Phillip, 54, didn't beat around the bush and told him: 'Well, you've blown your chances now,' to which he replied: 'Well, I have now.'

=))

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3552308/Matthew-Goode-takes-swipe-Bond-film-franchise-reveals-hasn-t-invited-second-audition.html
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    To be fair, I agree with his comments.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    how could anyone say (or agree with the sentiment) that modern Bond isn't working as well as old Bond?

Has he seen the box office receipts???

If Goode, or Mendes4, don't like the direction of the series, that's a matter of personal opinion. But to say it's not working as well...?

I wish my failures pulled in billions of dollars...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    also old Bond had less sophisticated competition as modern Bond, and modern Bond comes out still winning every time...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I do agree with him when he says that the budget should be cut in half.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I don't know that it has to be cut that drastically, but they do need to do something about how they spend their money.

I do wonder what a film would look like where they spent the kind of money they did on Spectre, but actually spent the money wisely. That was the biggest problem with Spectre, not necessarily the amount of money itself.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,969
    peter wrote: »
    If Goode, or Mendes4, don't like the direction of the series, that's a matter of personal opinion.

As is the alternative. Don't confuse quality with success.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    dalton wrote: »

I don't know that it has to be cut that drastically, but they do need to do something about how they spend their money.

I do wonder what a film would look like where they spent the kind of money they did on Spectre, but actually spent the money wisely. That was the biggest problem with Spectre, not necessarily the amount of money itself.

Agreed, @Dalton: they didn't spend wisely. It was too much about capturing past "classic" glory. Honourable intent, not too successful in execution.

Start with the script. Let new writers be creative. Get a director who will keep the action flowing forward.
    Maybe not that drastically, but when your budget for vehicles/vehicles destroyed is $40 million, it's time you dial things back considerably.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hiddles is not going to be Bond.
    Turner is not going to be Bond.
    Bell is not going to be Bond.

At this point, DC has the best chance of returning as Bond, if he wants it.

And even then, even if he does want it back, the role still may be taken away from him...

Am I that arrogant to be making these above, sweeping predictions?

No.

I only say this because, until a distributor is attached, no one is 100% guaranteed to be wearing the tux.

It's the distributor who has to agree to the cast (after all they're going to be selling the film in the markets around the world).

That's why I say Craig has the best, although, not guaranteed, chance of being 007 (providing he wants to). He's been big bank for the franchise, so, if Sony comes back again, they may want to stick with the goose who lays the golden eggs.

If it's a new partnership, with another company, they may think the same: we can lessen risk, make guaranteed bank with this guy over two films (providing he wants to. And if he does, lock him up for two more films. If he's not going to commit to two more, then, 'bye-'bye). After this two pic deal, they send him off, make some great capital, then move into the more grinding process of re-casting. Or;

They might also say: Craig's done, we're the new Sheriff in town, we want a re-boot. We wanna start fresh. We'll take however long it takes to get the casting right, then we'll move into the next film.

But the casting decision WILL NOT BE MADE without the distribs consent.

So the media can report all it wants about Hiddles, Turner, et al... But, realistically, and no matter how much it pains to say: this is going to take a while.

Even if DC said tomorrow, I'm out, good luck to the next gent, the reality is, the casting will take a backseat to the deal with a distrib. The interested company, with Eon, will hafta hash out an agreeable Plan A, B and C (do we want Craig; does he want us? How many films?; if we re-boot, what's the dream casting list look like; who can we get? How many movies? Soft or hard re-boot?). All this hasta be agreed upon, with all parties agreeing to terms. Then, and only then, will the search for a new 007 start in earnest.

So, since DC hasn't said a word, one way, or the other, he truly is Bond until he makes his retirement known, or a distrib resigns his licence to kill.

It's all in the hands of EoN's big deal with the distributing company. That's when the fireworks will begin.

I understand but I don't get that feeling.
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Regarding studio deal, in the following article it says "seeing as the bidding for the Bond rights won’t even begin until later this year".

http://collider.com/lucky-logan-daniel-craig-katherine-heigl/
    Maybe not that drastically, but when your budget for vehicles/vehicles destroyed is $40 million, it's time you dial things back considerably.

Yeah, that was definitely far too much, especially for a car chase that wasn't really even a chase, but rather a backdrop for an awkward information dump.

• peterpeter Toronto
    If Goode, or Mendes4, don't like the direction of the series, that's a matter of personal opinion.

As is the alternative. Don't confuse quality with success.

@Mendes: I was responding to Goode and your point about old vs modern Bond "not working".

Please don't take my words and squeeze them into an argument you want to have. Because if I were to judge your more recent participations in these discussions, BB, MGW, and EoN have done nothing correct.

I sincerely apologize for not seeing eye to eye with you on this.

I've enjoyed all the films, but, I do agree, there were hiccups in the last film (that started with a panic in pre-production and spiralled from there). In fact, it's still remarkable to think SP came out as entertaining as it did, considering it seemed, from the start, that everyone was behind the 8-ball trying to overcome the initial failures of the Logan scripts. And then Craig gets injured... and then... and then... and then... It was a laundry list of setbacks, so kudos for them for completing a finished film that made almost $900 million at the int'l box office.

However, it's time to take a look at what went wrong (the things that were in their control (script development, and so on)), and work to see they rectify issues, and not make a pattern of it.
    I have no idea why they don't make Bond films half an hour shorter and they are at the moment. Surely that would help keep the costs down.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I have no idea why they don't make Bond films half an hour shorter and they are at the moment. Surely that would help keep the costs down.

@Mendes: correct (maybe we can see eye to eye on some things)... But this bloated feeling of the last film goes back to getting a great script... Then yes, less bloated film, less spent, better, tighter film.
    I honestly don't see why Dan Stevens isn't being touted as the next likliest actor to be Bond. I appreciate everyone has their favourites but I can't see Tom Hiddleston as 007. He's a great actor, has a good voice and presence but just doesn't have the 'persona' for Bond somehow. The only reason he's mentioned is because of the old Jag 'good to be bad' ad and his role in The Night Manager where he was a reluctant 'spy' anyway.

If you've seen Dan Stevens in The Guest then you can easily see why he'd be ideal for the role. The guy has it all. If I were EON (perhaps they already are) I would get onto his agent quicker than George Galloway over a rug and saucer of milk.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    also old Bond had less sophisticated competition as modern Bond, and modern Bond comes out still winning every time...

Never mind the competition, old Bond was sophisticated itself. But i'm all for cutting the running time down, and making a spy thriller with less action.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Never mind the competition, old Bond was sophisticated itself. But i'm all for cutting the running time down, and making a spy thriller with less action.
    I'm open to this as well, especially the shorter run time. I'd be even more open to it if we had Bond films every 2 yrs again. Not so long to wait for the next one then, so I can more readily live with a shorter run time.

The action is what costs, afterall. You can have a scene with great suspense on a shoestring budget. All you need is a bit of ingenuity.
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    I honestly don't see why Dan Stevens isn't being touted as the next likliest actor to be Bond. I appreciate everyone has their favourites but I can't see Tom Hiddleston as 007. He's a great actor, has a good voice and presence but just doesn't have the 'persona' for Bond somehow. The only reason he's mentioned is because of the old Jag 'good to be bad' ad and his role in The Night Manager where he was a reluctant 'spy' anyway.

If you've seen Dan Stevens in The Guest then you can easily see why he'd be ideal for the role. The guy has it all. If I were EON (perhaps they already are) I would get onto his agent quicker than George Galloway over a rug and saucer of milk.

Completely agree. After probably unattainable Fassbender, he's my first pick.

edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883

The action is what costs, afterall. You can have a scene with great suspense on a shoestring budget. All you need is a bit of ingenuity.
    Arguably they did this with SF. That film had more suspense in it than SP (China, London, finale), at a much lower cost.
    bondjames wrote: »

Arguably they did this with SF. That film had more suspense in it than SP (China, London, finale), at a much lower cost.

Agreed. Action scenes like the stairwell fight in CR, the silhouette fight in SF, and the other smaller-scale action sequences of the three pre-SP films should be the template for the action scenes moving forward.

That'll never happen, of course. I just hope that they never subject us to a car chase like the one in SP ever again. That was essentially a joint Aston Martin-Jaguar commercial produced for the sole purpose of giving us one of the worst lines in the franchise's history.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    StanKobra wrote: »
    Regarding studio deal, in the following article it says "seeing as the bidding for the Bond rights won’t even begin until later this year".

That's pure speculation on their part.
    jake24 wrote: »

That's pure speculation on their part.

It's also incorrect speculation on their part as well. It's not the rights to Bond that are being "auctioned" off.

Completely agree. After probably unattainable Fassbender, he's my first pick.
    What is Dan Stevens working on these days? He's been a bit quiet lately, no?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I'd like to see a Bond film more along the lines of The International. That film had one action sequence, and look how much that sequence was talked about. Put one other action sequence in the film, space them apart, and that's what i'm thinking about.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,601

I'd like to see a Bond film more along the lines of The International. That film had one action sequence, and look how much that sequence was talked about. Put one other action sequence in the film, space them apart, and that's what i'm thinking about.

Much talked about? The film rather flopped as far as I remember. QOS time, I believe
    @MajorDSmythe, I'd be perfectly okay with the action sequences being dialed down if what we're given is thrilling, original, and something the fans will discuss for a long time coming.