The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 13,882
    I actually fell for that. Afterall, his career as a lead is nearly 30 years old, and he has murdered more people than any other actor, so he could be forgiven for wanting a change.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3391764/brad-fuller-updates-friday-13th-status/

It's nice to have something from the horses mouth. The found footage is well and truly off the table. If this does get the series up and running again*, then I want the Soska sisters to direct and write the next one.

*If not, and like the reboot, it fails to jump start the series, we can forget about another film for the foreseeable future.

And on the subject F13/Jason, Sideshow Colelctibles are making a 1/6 Jason from Part 3:
    friday-the-13th-jason-voorhees-sixth-scale-100360-07.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/friday-the-13th-jason-voorhees-sideshow-collectibles-1003601/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have very high hopes for the script; if they got the man who wrote 'Prisoners' to do it, then I can see us receiving something truly spectacular. Like he said, the writer they got is more than they may deserve for a slasher flick, but since they have him, there's no excuse for mucking this up.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I knew something was up with Kane. :)
    Good to see a producer actually fighting to make the film the right way as opposed to trying to cash-in on all the "found footage" nonsense that the studio was obviously going for. Between that and such a high-quality writer being involved on this project, there should be some excitement for this project. Hopefully they don't botch it.
    I think the days of popular found footage movies are long gone, and I'm actually sort of surprised when I see newer movies going this route; it's been done to death, and unless you were to come up with a truly unique, one-of-a-kind route of going about doing another one, there's no point. Personally, I haven't liked them from the get go, they never worked for me.
    I've never liked them as well. The only two that ever worked for me were The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield. Other than that, they've uniformly terrible.
    Cloverfield, VHS (more or less)... sure. The very best, IMO, is REC.
    Most other FF, especially Paranormal Activity, is boring as hell.
    Haven't seen REC. Might have to check that one out. Saw part of its American remake, but didn't care much for it, even as someone who rather likes Jennifer Carpenter. I'll have to check out V/H/S as well. It's one of the many films that's been sitting in my Netflix queue for what seems like forever.
    @dalton, that was your first mistake, watching an American remake over the original. 'REC' is far more terrifying than 'Quarantine.'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @dalton, that was your first mistake, watching an American remake over the original. 'REC' is far more terrifying than 'Quarantine.'

That wouldn't take much. ;)
    REC is a sublime film IMO. Quarantine dragged. REC² is good too. Quarantine 2 was very poor. REC³, however, was absolutely terrible.
    John Carpenter returns to Halloween franchise as Executive Producer
    Carpenter may also provide the film's score
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I love Carpenters's movie scores, as well as his directing. Since long ago
    as a kid I managed to sneak in to my local cinema to see Assault on precinct 13. :)
    I'm curious to know whether this one will follow in the footsteps of the now aborted Halloween Returns, and act as a new sequel in the original series, but set in the here and now.

EDIT
    Just read the full article, it's a reboot. *grumbles*
    Having Carpenter return to both executive produce and possibly score the film is great, but...why another reboot?
    It appears Mike Flanagan is in talks to direct 'Halloween.' He directed a recent horror/thriller called 'Hush' that got some amazing reviews, I need to check it out and see how the style of that might work for 'Halloween.' If it's anything like that movie sounds, we're in for one creepy film.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3392162/heres-told-directing-halloween-exclusive/
    I don't know how to feel about the upcoming Halloween movie. I absolutely love the (original) series, but why another reboot? Although with Carpenter involved, hopefully they won't muck up Michael's backstory.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Halloween is a perfect Horror film for me.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,372
    Horror meets 'Ex Machina,' plus a terrific cast, in the first trailer for 'Morgan':

That trailer has done it's job, i'm interested. Another film added to my wanted list.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It does look interesting.
    shatner-myers-mashup-mask.png?w=292&h=373

Great news that Carpenter is returning to the Halloween films, I wait with anticipation.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3392836/friday-13th-moving-forward-new-origin-story-pamela-voorhees/

While it is nice to know that in the comming weeks, we'll be hearing more about the film, I do have one concern, and that is that they might overthink the backstory. They could have an oscar calibre team working on the film, but that doesn't mean that they understand the series. It's a simple setup, Jason + the usual assortment of characters + inventive kills / new takes on classic kills = a good time for all (unless Jason is after you).
    Just came here to post that. Happy to hear that we'll have some great characters this time around.

@MajorDSmythe, that's the vibe I'm getting from the article, that while it'll be a "new" origin story of sorts, and Pamela is there (in whatever capacity), it seems we'll get some "great" teenagers and Jason slaughtering them as the main antagonist. If that pans out, I'm in.
    B-D.com make it sound like production might be picking up speed soon. The next Friday the 13th is in January, and after that, October.
    Bill Skarsgard will play Pennywise in 'IT,' and some additional cast members are announced:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/692035-bill-skarsgard-is-pennywise-in-stephen-kings-it
    Skarsgard looks the part IMO.
    The slight curl at the edge of his lips makes me think he'll have a real sinister smile underneath all that makeup. I can't wait.