Is the James Bond Archives worth it?

Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
edited May 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 403
I've been considering buying this for a while now it looks epic. But is it worth 150 $ on amazon?

Comments

• Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    bump
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    It's a great book but by god it's a heavy old tome
    Having said that it's full of just about everything you ever wanted to know about bond in the films &a great deal more yes it is costly but I think well worth it hope this helps Coggins.
    Thanks I'm interested in what others have to say only because it's so expensive. The weight isn't really a problem for me, the bigger the better!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    In this thread many of us seem to think it's worth it:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2998/007-james-bond-archives-book-available-for-preorder

It goes in order of production and uses interviews with the main players as they go, worth reading without a doubt, though in time it will date.
    As most things concerning Bond eventually do
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    It is an impressive book with about an amazing thirty pages dedicated to each film and full of many never scene before photographs that are reproduced in such a large scale they are simply stunning to look at. Having said that, the text is fairly random quotes and recollections from various members of cast and crew rather than an attempt at a definitive history in the manner of John Cork's 'The Bond Legacy' and feels rather unsatisfactory for the more knowledgeable fan as most of the information has already been included on the series DVD features. Also the sheer weight and size of this book makes it rather awkward to read unless sitting at a table.
    Personally being a completest I'm glad I purchased it, though I strongly feel that it's far too expensive and definitely not the definitive work on subject of Bond that I had expected.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've just acquired a copy of The James Bond Archives and have to agree with @saunders. It's a massive book. But filled with stunning photos that make the purchase price for any avid fan worth it alone. Much of the text is noting new, but there are wonderful little notes about the movies throughout such as shooting notes, story boards and even a medical certificate regarding Roger Moore's accident on the set of TSWLM.
    I would have to recommend it to any Bond fan as I said it contains hundreds of excellent photos, with enough unseen ones to keep me satisfied.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2014 Posts: 9,117
    saunders wrote: »
    It is an impressive book with about an amazing thirty pages dedicated to each film and full of many never scene before photographs that are reproduced in such a large scale they are simply stunning to look at. Having said that, the text is fairly random quotes and recollections from various members of cast and crew rather than an attempt at a definitive history in the manner of John Cork's 'The Bond Legacy' and feels rather unsatisfactory for the more knowledgeable fan as most of the information has already been included on the series DVD features. Also the sheer weight and size of this book makes it rather awkward to read unless sitting at a table.
    Personally being a completest I'm glad I purchased it, though I strongly feel that it's far too expensive and definitely not the definitive work on subject of Bond that I had expected.

Have to agree with this.

It's a sumptuous addition to anyone's collection if you can afford it and some of the pictures are superb but the text is sorely lacking with very little content that you haven't heard from other sources.

As something that is aimed at hard core fans only there should have been a lot more fresh material.
    Picked it up the SP edition (New, at a discounted price of 65$!) and found it a very good purchase. Some of the early drafts of the scripts were telling, especially the films going up to the late Moore era. I just really have no where to put it haha.