Critically Acclaimed Films You Don't Like

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »

Superman (1978)
    Wait-what.jpg
    Sorry man. I just couldn't get into it. Saw it decades ago as a kid and found it 'boring'. The 2nd one though I loved. I think it came down to Supes having someone (or in this case 3 people) his size to fight against.

If you love the 2nd one you have completely redeemed yourself to me. Disregard my Jackie Chan "What?". :))
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Titanic - James Cameron version, though I recognise the technical achievement the film itself I don't like at all.

Most serious film critics would agree.

On the other hand, I have found FOREST GUMP to have aged very well.

I like Forrest Gump a lot. Not too rewatchable, but I really enjoy it. Seems like a love it or hate it movie.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,567
    Some mentioned already that I agree with - Forrest Gump, ET (I always think Starman is far superior), Avatar (Pocahontas with blue people - love that @FoxRox :)) )

May I add from a personal point of view
    The Shawshank Redemption (good but not that good)
    Reservoir Dogs (yeuk)
    and most of all...
    Blade Runner

Let's go back in time and question the greatness of -
    Gone With The Wind. Jezebel with Bette Davis was similar but it had ...Bette Davies for crying out loud and she chews the scenery magnificently. GWTW was just a big, glorified soap opera.
  • Thunderball Sorry people. A convoluted story with one of the weakest endings in the series (Where exactly does the guy who removed the fuses end up?). As soon as Bond goes underwater so does the film.

Hee hee. Too true. I don't see it as that bad, but it is definitely far more average than people let on.
    I actually didn't like it at all, I find it to be a very average movie, and goes on wayyyyyy too loooooooooooooooong.
    How about the granddaddy of all time supposedly great movies,Citizen Kane. Boring, arty,pretentious, pseudo intellectual. Quite why Welles is regarded in such high esteem is beyond me. Others that I've never been able to see why they are so beloved by critics... Apocalypse Now, Forrest Gump, Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver (apart from DeNiros performance of course). And then there are the ones that audiences love that I just don't get. Titanic(great second half just needed the gag inducing love story chopped off the first half). Avatar ( why did no one at the time notice that it was just a sci- fi remake of Dances with Wolves).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Trainspotting
    Lola rennt
    Into the Wild
    Braveheart
    L'auberge espagnole
    La mala educacion
    Romeo + Juliet
    La vita è bella
    Jerry Maguire
    Saw
    @cooperman2 Have to disagree on Citizen Kane for sure; I find it highly entertaining and engaging. If you have only seen Taxi Driver once, I recommend trying it one more time; I needed a second watch to really love the film.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes, Citizen Kane can look boring and pretentious now, but I guess you have to somehow picture what it was like in the 40s when it was new and innovative.

I do wonder though how original it was then. It was certainly trail blazing in Hollywood, but in Europe film was already a true art form.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Social Network and Zodiac two movies at best were ok though just never became engaging, often a problem with movies based on true stories.

Those were pretty bad. Especially Social Network.
    2001 (1968)
    A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    Ugetsu (1953)
    Yojimbo (1961)
    Reservoir Dogs (1992)
    The Sound of Music (1965)
    West Side Story (1961)
    Intolerance (1916)
    The Birth of a Nation (1915)
    Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
    Nashville (1975)
    A Night at the Opera (1935)
    Duck Soup (1933)
    Sophie's Choice (1982)

These are just some, im sure there are many more.
    Kramer vs Kramer. What crap.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Sicario was deathly dull, I turned it off halfway through.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Children of Men
    Never had I been so bored and disinterested in a film.

Not a bad film, just incredibly overrated.

No Country for Old Men - I found this to be really tedious.

Avatar- just a bit rubbish really.

The Dark Knight- still not as good as Batman or Batman Returns.

The Exorcist - it's a comedy right?
    All of those are great.
    Yes, because now I am about to mention CASABLANCA.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,686
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm finding that this is another thread I best stay away from.

I took that decision once I saw 'Children of Men' mentioned here, @Birdleson.

Am I the only one who doesn t like the old Chaplin films? I realize he was a universal genius, but I don t find them a bit funny. No enjoyment for me.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Blackadder didn't like him

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Am I the only one who doesn t like the old Chaplin films? I realize he was a universal genius, but I don t find them a bit funny. No enjoyment for me.

I haven't seen much of his older, more "classic" work, but I do really enjoy "Limelight."
    I like The Dictator, but that is about it. As a kid, I did love the comic strips.
    Titanic is just a retold tale of an old Romeo and Juliet theme. Rich bitch meets and falls for a guy from the other side of the tracks. It won many Oscars including Best Picture but aside from the FX the movie is just another love story...

I thought LA Confidential was more impressive and artistic. It should have won Best Picture.
    Never had any interest in seeing Titanic, but that other DiCaprio movie Romeo and Juliet, set in modern times, was cringeworthy.
  • Never had any interest in seeing Titanic, but that other DiCaprio movie Romeo and Juliet, set in modern times, was cringeworthy.

One of the most painful pictures I have ever seen. Appalling.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Never had any interest in seeing Titanic, but that other DiCaprio movie Romeo and Juliet, set in modern times, was cringeworthy.

Even though I'm a huge fan of Claire Danes, I'm happy that I didn't have the misfortune of having to endure such possible torture as Romeo & Juliet.

I was subjected to Titanic in the theatre however, and that was horrendously cringe worthy, including having to listen to Celine's song.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    I laughed at the end of Titanic in no way relating to the historical tragedy, I laughed at how things were being portrayed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Even though I'm a huge fan of Claire Danes, I'm happy that I didn't have the misfortune of having to endure such possible torture as Romeo & Juliet.

I was subjected to Titanic in the theatre however, and that was horrendously cringe worthy, including having to listen to Celine's song.
    I too endured it in my one & only viewing theatrically. The actual sinking was the only interesting part.
    I was in Middle School when that came out and I remember all the girls drooling over it.
    Wasn't there a part where they zoomed in on one of the guns and the brand name was 'sword'? lol Jesus
    (:| The ultimate eyeball roller
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I was in Middle School when that came out and I remember all the girls drooling over it.
    Wasn't there a part where they zoomed in on one of the guns and the brand name was 'sword'? lol Jesus
    (:| The ultimate eyeball roller

We watched that in English class for my tenth grade course as we discussed the play. The other class also watched it, and because they were laughing at how poor and goofy it was as it played, my teacher switched the thing off. Interesting film, if not masterful. All the male characters have guns custom made for their characters, with decorative emblems and all, and Mercutio dances in drag at one point, so there's that...