Green Bond

in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 4,599
I know there has been much discussion on future bad guys and why Bond does not deal with real life threats (politics, sensitivity etc), there has been much in the news recently on the ivory trade and horrible pictures of dead elephants with their tusks hacked off. Considering that this is a real threat plus it seems to have none of the politics connected with ISIS etc, could this be a new Bond mission? It offers potential for great locations and he would track the ivory up the supply chain to the "Mr Big" (there would be suggestions that profits were funding wider criminal networks etc), the down side is that Bond himself is not a "green" but it could provide potential for character developement as, at first, he would not see it as a genuine mission. The Bond girl role would be some conservationist who had been working out there for years and resented Bond coming in to help? Any thoughts

Comments

Sounds dull.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I've no problem with the villain doing that as a sideline (I'd even be receptive to Idris Elba playing him) but that can't be the main mission.

Apart from anything else why would MI6 be funding it so would it mean Bond going rogue to save the elephants?

Mind you at least it's better than what I imagined this thread to be when I saw the title. Assumed you'd have Bond driving a Prius.

But in all seriousness being green has no place in Bond. Bond is a fantasy figure for all of us neutered western men and he does all the stuff we aren't allowed to any more - drive gas guzzlers, drink to extreme, smoke, shag loads of women and kill foreigners.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,599
    I know its a little left field but we have men in the field already:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34001736

and it could be the start of a case that leads to terrorism

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tracking-ivory/article.html

"drive gas guzzlers, drink to extreme, smoke, shag loads of women and kill foreigners. " he can still do these at the same time :-)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    They've been "recycling" Bonds for years. Can't get any greener than that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    First Black Bond now Green Bond? This forum has hit a new low.
    Yes, but are they better than step-brother Bond?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Yes, but are they better than step-brother Bond?

Just stop slagging off SP OK? I just can't take it any more. :((
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,417
    Rather Wilbur Smith, but I like it. Perhaps the sale of ivory could be linked into funding terrorism in the UK. Hence why Bond is assigned to stop it.

"kill foreigners". You crack me up Wiz.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond had Green fingers in CR.
    And Wade had Green fingers in GE
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Look, let the Avengers handle the bad people.

I want my Bond the way Ian Fleming served him up: fighting megalomaniacs with plots that would make their real-life counterparts blush. Fleming baddies don't just blow stuff up, they use moon rockets to do the job. Fleming baddies don't just rob a bank, they rob Ford Knox. I don't want Bond to enter a war already headlining CNN news. I want Bond to enter a far more sinister, outrageous, 'WTF' world where the size of his gun matters much less than how the combined talents of 007 can turn a hopeless situation in his favour and allow him to bed some delicious women before, possibly during and certainly after the job. Naturalism in a Bond film is one thing, pulling plots from the newspapers is just lazy. Remember, we're not dealing with "just" one of those fictional heroes... we're talking about James Bond here. He drinks like a sailor, smokes like a chimney and beds enough women to make the Vatican faint. He kills without remorse and breaks about every traffic law imaginable. Are we seriously going to waste all of that larger-than-life potential on a politically censored plot about making the world a happier place for our children to live?
    If Dinsey get hold of Bond......

I do hope that's not a reference to the state of Vesper's lady garden?

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

You'd be surprised what he can do with his little finger...

I wouldn t know, but just take a look at Yusef. I fear you are right.

I wouldn t know, but just take a look at Yusef. I fear you are right.

Poor bloke had nails like Percy Thrower! God knows Vesper is fit but a bit of hygiene down there obviously wouldn't go amiss love.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Gl7geP2.jpg
    Daniel is already working for the UN, so why not?
    Not exactly the Jolly Green Giant is he? =))
    Oh, imagine if Hoyte van Hoytema had used a green filter on Spectre. Or something about the Hulk.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A whole thread about green Bond, and @Murdock hasn't posted his Hulk Smash pic yet?
    That's usually @chrisisall's thing but I'll take over for that. ;)
    the-avengers-angry-hulk-smash-loki.gif
    That s Craig and Waltz in the next one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Thanks @Murdock! :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sooooo... Bond will become the mascot for St. Patrick's Day?
    One of the indications from SF and SP is that the writers are trying/struggling re motivations for the bad guy. Greed/blackmail seem old now and it has to be personal. It worked fine in SF IMHO as Bond got trapped between the personal feelings of the bad guy towards M.. and as for SP, its been discussed.
    It seems as though threatening to blow up the World for "one million dollars!" won't cut it any more.
  • SilvermothSilvermoth Australia
    I think we will definitely see Bond drive an electric car next time. A bond with a mind on the environment is intriguing
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I don't recall Bond ever fueling up a car. I guess they could show him removing the charging cable of an electric in passing, short of being pedantic maybe.

What's ripe is the eco-terror villainous caper, misusing a supposed environmental effort for profit and mayhem.

It isn't easy being green. Or Greene.

60536.jpg

luksun-elektrikli-hali-iste-karsinizda-aston-martin-rapide-e-video-3-300x169.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    To be fair, a spy having a silent car would seem to make a huge amount of sense!

The fake eco caper certainly makes sense, although I’m sure I’ve seen a couple of films which have that setup; can’t quite put my finger on them. Or maybe Dr Who plots?
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    mtm wrote: »
    To be fair, a spy having a silent car would seem to make a huge amount of sense!

The fake eco caper certainly makes sense, although I’m sure I’ve seen a couple of films which have that setup; can’t quite put my finger on them. Or maybe Dr Who plots?

The Sontaran two-parter in Series 4 comes to mind.

Also a billionaire philanthropist with a plan to solve the climate crisis is the plot of Double or Nothing, (Moneypenny even has an retro-fitted electric E-Type Jag) but that doesn't have James Bond in it, as such.