Sequels (or follow up films ) that outshine the originals

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Batman Returns, thanks to a fantastic Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, and Danny Elfman's vibrant score - he also scored the first Batman, but he turned it up a notch for Batman Returns. Danny De Vito was also great in this movie.
    +1. Agreed. I think we might be in the minority, but I also much preferred this one to the more renown predecessor.

I also found the story of the predecessor too meager. Michelle Pfeiffer alone is enough to outshine the predecessor. I always feel she really gave it all and very much enjoyed it as well.
    Yes, she was absolutely brilliant. There will never be another Catwoman that good in my view.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Jurassic Park 2 - The Lost World

by a hair

Malcolm is one of my all time favourite movie characters. When JP returned to the cinema it became one of the most memorable movie experiences in my life.
    Malcolm is bloody brilliant again and has so much more screen time. Furthermore the one thing I disliked in the first one (screaming stupidly acting children) was luckily abandoned in The Lost World.
    Also "the other team" is compiled by brilliant actors like Peter Stormare and Pete Postlethwaite.
    Julianne Moore is at her best as well in JP2.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BATMAN RETURNS.

The first has its moments, but BR is infinitely better.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    'Jurassic Park - The Lost World' has probably my all time favorite moment from any film: the parents screaming as the little dinosaurs eating their daughter, and cut to Jeff Goldblum yawning in the subway.
    I agree on JW2 - The Lost World as well. The first one is great, but I prefer the 2nd one. The scene with the hanging Mercedes SUV's and the broken glass has to be one of the most tense I've seen in a theatre.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames I'm too young to have seen 'JW2' in cinemas at the time, but I've seen it dozens of time at home and that scene with the SUV never gets old. I still am on the edge of my seat during that scene to this day.
    It's beautifully directed @DaltonCraig007, and shows why Spielberg is a master at creating tension.
    Temple of Doom
    The funny thing about Temple of Doom is that it feels like two movies in one, not unlike Die Another Day.
    Only this time instead of starting out great and ending up terrible, Temple of Doom starts out ridiculous and headache inducing but ends up being awesome. From the entire beginning at the club all the way up to the plane crash made me want to rip my ears off because of all the goddamn screaming. Once they get to the temple however, the movie takes the kid gloves off and gets dark as hell- and I LOVE it. This movie is leaps and bounds better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I agree on JW2 - The Lost World as well. The first one is great, but I prefer the 2nd one. The scene with the hanging Mercedes SUV's and the broken glass has to be one of the most tense I've seen in a theatre.

JW2? I'm confused, has Jurassic World 2 already been released and I'm just behind the times?

JW2? I'm confused, has Jurassic World 2 already been released and I'm just behind the times?
    My bad. Getting my acronyms messed up today. I mean Jurassic Park - The Lost World.
    Temple of Doom is more light hearted and Kate Capshaw plays more of a blond bimbo versus Karen Allen's kick ass character from Raiders.

I think Raiders was the best of the Indiana Jones quadrilogy. Last Crusade had some moments but it pales in comparison.
    The Two Towers edges Fellowship
    .. For me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Temple of Doom is more light hearted and Kate Capshaw plays more of a blond bimbo versus Karen Allen's kick ass character from Raiders.

I think Raiders was the best of the Indiana Jones quadrilogy. Last Crusade had some moments but it pales in comparison.
    I'm in the definite minority here, but I love all four Indy films. However, Temple Of Doom is the one I revisit most frequently.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy movie.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I suppose since I watch that one the most I must agree. But I get a kick out of all of them (yes, even Crystal Skull).

chrisisall wrote: »
    I suppose since I watch that one the most I must agree. But I get a kick out of all of them (yes, even Crystal Skull).

Well, plenty of Temple of Doom love!

Crystal Skull was not bad really. I think Mutt and the end with the spaceship bring down the whole film in a lot of people's eyes.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote: »

Well, plenty of Temple of Doom love!

Crystal Skull was not bad really. I think Mutt and the end with the spaceship bring down the whole film in a lot of people's eyes.

Quite bizarre given Raiders is probably the best action film ever made.

Yeah it was bad mate. Really bad. Like worse than DAD bad.

And I can live with the aliens. After all in the other three we had a load of religious rubbish which is more incredible than aliens which speaking statistically almost certainly exist.

The film jumps the shark a loooong time before the aliens fetch up.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2016 Posts: 6,758
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Batman Returns
    The Empire Strikes Back
    From Russia with Love
    The Revenge of Frankenstein
    Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo
    Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI

I don't add the second Godfather, I think they are equally great.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SUPERMAN 3

I loved it. Great fun.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    SUPERMAN 3

I loved it. Great fun.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Richard Pryor III, Guest Starring Superman.
    Batman Returns
    From Russia With Love
    Quantum of Solace
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Toy Story 3
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    I'm sure it has already been mentioned but Evil Dead 2, Sam Raimi really found his form on this one, the first one was great on a shoe string but the sequel was amazing on a bit bigger shoe string!
    SUPERMAN 3

I loved it. Great fun.
    Mass quantities of alcohol makes it a good film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Empire Strikes Back
    Star Trek II
    The Road Warrior
    Death Wish 2
    Back to the Future 3

Only to name a few.
    After having seen it, I can now add Captain America Civil War to the list.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited July 2016 Posts: 3,985
    French Connection 2 (love the 'stranger in a strange land' theme and Hackman is fantastic)
    Mad Max 2
    Empire Strikes Back
    The Bride Of Frankenstein
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Rocky 3

Much as I like Godfather 2 it's not as engaging as the original. De Niro gives a great performance but those flashback scenes seem all so superflous

Don't get the love for Batman Returns at all. Apart from Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman it has little going for it. The whole thing looks like it was shot on a soundstage. It's all so fake, and certainly more of a Tim Burton film than a Batman film. (Nice score though)

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Batman Returns
    The Empire Strikes Back
    From Russia with Love
    The Revenge of Frankenstein
    Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo
    Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI

I don't add the second Godfather, I think they are equally great.

Good call on Jason Lives! Part 6 is my favourite of that nutty franchise - I know many go for four but six has my vote - and definitely the good, the bad and the ugly over dollars.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 2,721
    French Connection 2 (love the 'stranger in a strange land' theme and Hackman is fantastic)
    Mad Max 2
    Empire Strikes Back
    The Bride Of Frankenstein
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Rocky 3

Much as I like Godfather 2 it's not as engaging as the original. De Niro gives a great performance but those flashback scenes seem all so superflous

Don't get the love for Batman Returns at all. Apart from Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman it has little going for it. The whole thing looks like it was shot on a soundstage. It's all so fake, and certainly more of a Tim Burton film than a Batman film. (Nice score though)

Yes! Batman Returns is a chore. Burton has zero interest in action set pieces, fight scenes or even detective stories so instead we're left with his love for gothic horror and German expressionism. I guess It's the most personal superhero blockbuster ever made - just without a superhero - but is it any surprise Warner Brothers then wanted to dip into the lukewarm melted Schumacher cheese after opening their summer blockbuster set in winter with a deformed baby attacking a cat and then being abandoned by his revolted parents?
    Empire Strikes Back
    Star Trek II
    The Road Warrior
    Death Wish 2
    Back to the Future 3

Only to name a few.

Back to the Future 3 over the original? There's expressing personal taste and then there is just plain violent provocation!
    Two that haven't been mentioned:

Dawn of the Dead
    Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey