The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's probably the most wall to wall action oriented Bond film they've ever done. Even more so than QoS.

From Bond sneaking into the Hamburg offices to the climax it's almost non-stop action.

But it is a little excessive.

TND is guilty of excessive awesomeness. :D

=D>
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's probably Bottom 10 for me, but then again, over the last year or so, I've ranked the likes of GF, TLD, or even TMWTGG very, very low, just to have a random rewatch surprise me and inject some love back into the movie, so perhaps this'll happen (finally) for TND and I once I hit it in the Bondathon.
  • Do you think Solitaire really had 'second sight' ?

She got everything correct in the film (before losing her virginity) and Kananga clearly used her tarot reading a lot, so it's difficult to see a rational explanation for her powers
    For who have read The Batlle of Bond, who came with the title "Thunderball" (for the first movie) at all, it is a Fleming, Whittingham or McClory idea ?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Do you think Solitaire really had 'second sight' ?

She got everything correct in the film (before losing her virginity) and Kananga clearly used her tarot reading a lot, so it's difficult to see a rational explanation for her powers

This is something which actually bothers me every time I watch LALD. Has anybody got any rational explanation for this?

(I know Oddjobs_hat was banned, but for once his post was an interesting one)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For who have read The Batlle of Bond, who came with the title "Thunderball" (for the first movie) at all, it is a Fleming, Whittingham or McClory idea ?

The title was Fleming s. The script had other working titles.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »

This is something which actually bothers me every time I watch LALD. Has anybody got any rational explanation for this?

(I know Oddjobs_hat was banned, but for once his post was an interesting one)

There is no rational explanation, she's magic. I love it.

For more on this most interesting of questions see me thread on the Community here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/12765/why-is-there-the-fakery-of-the-occult-in-live-and-let-die-1973/

Feel free, of course, to contribute to the debate there!
  • Do you think Solitaire really had 'second sight' ?

Of course she did. LALD has many supernatural influences. E.g. Baron Samedi surviving because he is the man who cannot die. There is no rational explanation. That is just part of LALD. It does not bother me at all.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,586
    In TND, why does everyone refer to Ho Chi Minh city as "Saigon"? It's perfectly understandable that residents of that city would still call it Saigon for tradition, but isn't it questionable why certain government officials don't call the city by its official name?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    In TND, why does everyone refer to Ho Chi Minh city as "Saigon"? It's perfectly understandable that residents of that city would still call it Saigon for tradition, but isn't it questionable why certain government officials don't call the city by its official name?
    I can only imagine it's to appease/pander to some who may take offence to a city named after a communist leader. Or just because more are familiar with Saigon.

Bit like Burma/Myammar or Rangoon/Yangon.

My understanding is that some there do still refer to it as Saigon, but regardless, I think there may have been a bit of pandering, like 'station break' etc.

Is there really ever any rational explanation for Tarot? It's all part of the occult stuff in LALD as has been noted by others. Those who believe in it, believe in it completely and ascribe powers to it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    I can only imagine it's to appease/pander to some who may take offence to a city named after a communist leader. Or just because more are familiar with Saigon.

Bit like Burma/Myammar or Rangoon/Yangon.

My understanding is that some there do still refer to it as Saigon, but regardless, I think there may have been a bit of pandering, like 'station break' etc.
    Makes sense, thanks.
    I've asked a few times before to no avail, so can't hurt to ask again: does anyone know the song playing in the bar when Bond and Felix meet up in QoS? Not any part of the score itself, the actual song playing in the bar in the background.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've asked a few times before to no avail, so can't hurt to ask again: does anyone know the song playing in the bar when Bond and Felix meet up in QoS? Not any part of the score itself, the actual song playing in the bar in the background.

I'll check NOW :)
    Any song I see incorporated into the movie, I look up on YouTube and listen to and it's not it. This song has eluded me for years, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Any song I see incorporated into the movie, I look up on YouTube and listen to and it's not it. This song has eluded me for years, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    @Creasy47 I think the song is listed in the credit sequence, isn't it?
    @jake24, that's what I had assumed, was too lazy to pull up the credits on it but I think I will to see if I have any luck.
    @jake24, that's what I had assumed, was too lazy to pull up the credits on it but I think I will to see if I have any luck.

It's not in the end titles which is strange.
    A real mystery. And I like to solve mysteries :D
    Get to cracking this one, then! I've had that question in the back of my mind since 2008, no luck at all.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Creasy47, according to Jon Burlingame's book, it is either"El Provinciano" performed by Jaime Cuadra and Luis Abanto Morales or "10" performed by Antonio Pinto.

I was able to locate the former in youtube and it doesn't sound like it, so it might be "10" which can't be found anywhere. I'm not sure if Burlingame is correct on this though, because the scene in the film sounds like a woman singing.

There is also "Regresa" by Jaime Cuadra, which plays during the Green Planet event.

I saw three songs by Jaime Cuadra listed, and I checked all of them out years back and on YouTube today, and it's none of them. It's definitely a woman singing in the bar. I might have to fire up the scene in question and see if I can catch any of the Spanish lyrics, Google them, and go from there.
    I saw three songs by Jaime Cuadra listed, and I checked all of them out years back and on YouTube today, and it's none of them. It's definitely a woman singing in the bar. I might have to fire up the scene in question and see if I can catch any of the Spanish lyrics, Google them, and go from there.

I speak Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.
    I'll try to understand what she's singing. It's only in the background on a lot of surrounding noise...
    Well here's the scene. I have to admit, watching it I realized what a great piece of film making this is. Craig's on fire, as is Wright. They've got to bring him back for the next one, no matter what happens!

@BondJasonBond006, check out the clip just posted, and in the first 10 or 15 seconds, you can make out some lyrics fairly well. I can pick up certain words in Spanish, but hearing it sung that fast, I've got no idea what's being sung, though I think I hear the word 'tranquila.'
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I'm Spanish... and I don't understand a single word... :-?? :-S
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Thanks to Troy and Abed in 'Community' I know how to say 'donde esta la biblioteca?', but that's all the spanish I know.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    I'm Spanish... and I don't understand a single word... :-?? :-S

Well if someone fluent in Spanish has no idea, I suppose I'll never find out.
    @BondJasonBond006, check out the clip just posted, and in the first 10 or 15 seconds, you can make out some lyrics fairly well. I can pick up certain words in Spanish, but hearing it sung that fast, I've got no idea what's being sung, though I think I hear the word 'tranquila.'
    I believe that same song appears in two scenes. The one posted, as well as the scene directly following Slate's death as Bond leaves the Haitian hotel. It might be more audible as there is less ambient noise in that scene.
    My understanding is that there are some Peruvian tracks in the film. So it could be Peruvian Spanish. Not sure how different this dialect is from Iberian Spanish.
    I just listened to the scene, and it sounds like a different song to me, though I could be wrong. Brownie points go to the person who finds out what the song is!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Probably just some extras making it up on the spot.