SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    There appears to be some creative thinking at play, although I for the life of me have no idea what it was, apart from them just either having run out of budget somewhere and slumming it here, or not giving a toss.

Keep in mind something similar happened during the train sequence (few bystanders) and also in the finale at the new Joint Intelligence Service HQ (C's new digs), which was curiously empty on 'launch night'.

I don't think anyone has questioned him on what he was going for here.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Theyre all asleep, which, ironically, is the same as the audience at that point.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    There appears to be some creative thinking at play, although I for the life of me have no idea what it was, apart from them just either having run out of budget somewhere and slumming it here, or not giving a toss.

Keep in mind something similar happened during the train sequence (few bystanders) and also in the finale at the new Joint Intelligence Service HQ (C's new digs), which was curiously empty on 'launch night'.

Well they had to close the streets to film. Maybe they didn't think anyone would notice.

Speaking of which the rushed post production timeframe really shows up in the editing. Take Madeline's scream at the end even though she's gagged and tied up like a spider.

mcdonbb wrote: »

Well they had to close the streets to film. Maybe they didn't think anyone would notice.
    That's a fair point, but it doesn't explain the train and the HQ at the end though.
    Speaking of which the rushed post production timeframe really shows up in the editing. Take Madeline's scream at the end even though she's gagged and tied up like a spider.
    I'm not that versed in the film making process, but I understand that Bond films have notoriously tight post-production schedules (I know Barry used to complain about not having time to get the score done properly). I've always wondered why this is. I understand it in the past, when they used to churn them out regularly every 2 yrs, but with their new found leisurely pace, surely they should try and have more time for the professionals to pull it together properly.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

That's a fair point, but it doesn't explain the train and the HQ at the end though.
    I'm not that versed in the film making process, but I understand that Bond films have notoriously tight post-production schedules (I know Barry used to complain about not having time to get the score done properly). I've always wondered why this is. I understand it in the past, when they used to churn them out regularly every 2 yrs, but with their new found leisurely pace, surely they should try and have more time for the professionals to pull it together properly.

I vaguely remember MGW answering this before. They dont want studio interference in the editing room. Given studios insistence these days on test audiences and multiple edits this probably isnt a bad thing.

And they do assemble a working edit during the film, so that gives them a starting point in post.
    Yea but screaming with gag is obvious and an easy fix.

Mendes and others have complained about the tight schedule.

Besides if you get the script right then you shouldn't worry about the backend test audiences so much.
    Mallory wrote: »

I vaguely remember MGW answering this before. They dont want studio interference in the editing room. Given studios insistence these days on test audiences and multiple edits this probably isnt a bad thing.

And they do assemble a working edit during the film, so that gives them a starting point in post.
    Thx @Mallory. This makes sense I suppose, as EON are the bastions & keepers of Fleming's creation. I didn't realize that there could have been some political considerations at play here, but given all the disparate players involved, it's probably so.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,586

The CNS lack of extras is definitely questionable. However, the train and car chase are excusable. When Bond fires his gun after Hinx kicks the table, there are people looking frightened in the far corners of the cabin. The others may have quickly exited the cabin into another one to avoid danger. As for the car chase, it does take place at around 1am, so the lack of cars on the road still makes sense (I know there would still be some traffic at this time of night in Rome). Mind you, the roads are certainly not empty. For instance, there are many parked cars visible on the side streets and a line of cars visible during the aerial shot as they drive along the Tiber, not to mention the Fiat and the truck. The only real absence of cars is when the choir kicks in as Hinx and Bond drive towards St. Peter's Basilica.
  • Jeffrey wrote: »
    Haha, but no artistic reason by Sam? :)

A lot of SPECTRE is a dream-like reality.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    What also bugged me was that the drums don't match up to the people playing the drums in the beginning of the movie.

If you take a good look, they don't know what they're doing lol.
    What also bugged me was that the drums don't match up to the people playing the drums in the beginning of the movie.

Didn't notice that. Not as bad as Swann yelling through her gag at the end. That's just sloppy.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Nice catch. But at least all those people are real. In any other action movie they would have used CGI people :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    ahhh....double post

Nice catch. But at least all those people are real. In any other action movie they would have used CGI people :)

Not really noticeable though unless you study each scene. Casual viewing probably no.
    Well, hailing back to series like The Avengers, The Saint etc. all the streets are always empty except for the main characters :-)!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Muddyw wrote: »
    Well, hailing back to series like The Avengers, The Saint etc. all the streets are always empty except for the main characters :-)!
    Yep! ;)
    I asked this question in another thread, but it probably went unnoticed and it also belongs more here. I've seen SP and the other Craig-Bonds a couple of times now, and I wonder, now the personal connection between Blofeld and Bond was revealed:

Is Bond in the Craig era accidentally crossing paths with the Spectre-schemes which leads up to an ultimate confrontation, or is Spectre deliberately involving Bond in their schemes to have it lead up to a personal vendetta in SP?

Several plot lines could be coincidence or not:
    - Vesper being designated to the Montenegro-assignment,
    - Bond being assigned to the mission of the list with undercover agents,
    - Silva crossing swords with 007,
    - Bond getting involved with Greene.
    I asked this question in another thread, but it probably went unnoticed and it also belongs more here. I've seen SP and the other Craig-Bonds a couple of times now, and I wonder, now the personal connection between Blofeld and Bond was revealed:

Is Bond in the Craig era accidentally crossing paths with the Spectre-schemes which leads up to an ultimate confrontation, or is Spectre deliberately involving Bond in their schemes to have it lead up to a personal vendetta in SP?

Crossing swords??
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Crossing swords??
    Yeah, en garde! :))
    Crossing swords??
    Figure of speech - sorry if that was unclear.
    But quite appropriate as Silva does challenge Bond to a duel, albeit with pistols.

Oberhauser didnt seek out Bond, he even mentioned he kept getting in the way & by the time of the Rome meeting Oberhauser knew he was going to come face to face with Bond.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. Apparently, I've not been paying enough attention.

Yes it was that bit with that bit of dialogue that made me think, 'they're going to gradually make Whishaw's Q more and more like Llewelyn with each film', just as they've being graduallu bringing bak more familiar elements.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No, I was thinking the same.

Frequently...

...well not true, not until I saw your comment.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I so much preferred Whishaw in SF personally. Before I watched SP I read many comment stating how incredible he was in SP. Yes, he was one of the better elements in the film and offered much needed humour. However, I still think he was better as the dweeb in SF.
    I so much preferred Whishaw in SF personally. Before I watched SP I read many comment stating how incredible he was in SP. Yes, he was one of the better elements in the film and offered much needed humour. However, I still think he was better as the dweeb in SF.

I agree he was better in Skyfall. Although if 'we don't really go in for that kind of thing anymore' is going to be part of his character (which it wasn't in Spectre as he apparently still goes in for exploding watches rather than pens), what's the point of having Q?
    announced today, SPECTRE was the third most watched film of 2015 in Europe, with 38 million tickets http://deadline.com/2016/05/european-box-office-2015-record-hollywood-star-wars-force-awakens-1201748862/
    I have been scouring the internet trying to find high-def screencaps of 'Spectre'. I found these on a Lea Seydoux fan-site. It gives us a chance to remember some of Hoyte's exquisite camerawork.

http://leaseydoux.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=679

Some great shots:
    http://leaseydoux.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=19454&fullsize=1
    http://leaseydoux.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=19456&fullsize=1
    http://leaseydoux.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=19458&fullsize=1
    http://leaseydoux.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=19459&fullsize=1