Daredevil in Movies, TV & Comics

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited April 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,687
Big fan of Frank Miller's DD here (art & writing), and Gil Kane did some amazing work on the art before him (if not the writing).
I loved the Batfleck DD in the Director's Cut of the film, and the Elektra follow up wasn't as bad as they say (although not great either IMHO).
But I've not seen the Netflix series. Is it great? Good? OK?

Let's talk (blind) justice here.
3592949267_5d22c0b744.jpg

Comments

• I have to admit that I haven't seen the Netflix series -- but I have a complete collection of the comics so I have a lot to say about them... Yes, Frank Miller's run was a high water mark for the character, but hey! There's decades' worth of material here!

First of all, the Stan Lee/Wally Wood issues are really great & highly recommended. Wood designed the all-red DD costume & was one of the great comics artists of the '50s & '60s, his work is definitely worth seeking out. DD vs. the Sub-Mariner is especially cool; Namor kicks his @$$ pretty hard ...but DD still manages to eke out a (moral) victory. Check it out!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @chrisisall, YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE NETFLIX DD SHOW?!

My god, man, what on earth have you been doing all this time?! This needs to be remedied right away.

I started a thread for the show here that never really got off the ground, but if you do watch it and want to talk, head on over and we'll kick off discussions:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/11974/netflix-s-daredevil-series-2015-present-fear-the-spoilers

Seriously, if you love Frank's DD this show will absolutely blow your mind and probably become one of your top favorite adaptations of any comics character ever with ease. Yeah, it's that good.

It's crucial that you don't look up ANYTHING on this show, though. Buzz through both seasons and don't look back, my friend. There's nothing to fear.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2016 Posts: 17,687
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 As it happens we have Netflix, so I put on the first episode and watched half of it... I have my new Blu Ray of the Director's Cut of Affleck's DD arriving tomorrow so I'll watch that first, then I'll plow through the TV series on Saturday (my only day off), or as much as I can get through in one day. The show looks very good mostly, but my first impressions are that:
    Matt & Foggy look REALLY young
    The stunt/fight guys are giving us long cool fights instead of short, brutal realism
    Matt smiles too much

BUT, this is just a first ep, and it was clearly still in shake down mode. I'll be going the distance with this one- I can already tell. Thanks.
    :)>-
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a fan of Kevin Smith's take on DD. Anyone else?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Miller and Mazuchelli s Daredevil was a work of art.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs, never knew Wally Wood had done DD. He is one of my favourite artists of all time.
  • @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, never knew Wally Wood had done DD. He is one of my favourite artists of all time.

Wood's tenure at Marvel was brief but memorable. He didn't really get along with Stan Lee. Kevin Smith's run was pretty good, as was Brian Michael Bendis'. Quite recently, Mark Waid did some very good things with the character, somehow bringing back a sense of fun to a character who had been quite the "swinger" back in the swingin' sixties -- quite remarkable, really, considering how dark the character has been since Miller's time.
  • Wood redesigned the costume on his own. This caused a problem with Fantastic Four No. 39, where Daredevil was the guest star, but drawn with the original costume. Wood redid the Daredevil figures in that issue.

daredevil-no-7-april-1965.jpg
    Just watched Daredevil Director's Cut Blu ray, and wow I'd almost forgotten how great this flick is. Affleck absolutely rocked. The dialogue was beautiful. The fight scenes were awesomely choreographed by Jeff Imada!
    Wood redesigned the costume on his own. This caused a problem with Fantastic Four No. 39, where Daredevil was the guest star, but drawn with the original costume. Wood redid the Daredevil figures in that issue.

daredevil-no-7-april-1965.jpg

Sounds great. I only ever read a lot of the horror stories Wood did in the 50s and 60s and a few comedic ones. He was a true master. Will buy it if I get my hands on any of that.
    Gil Kane & Klaus Janson did my absolute favourite art ever for DD. I treasure those issues.
    Klaus janson was a disappointment for me. Mazuchelli fitted Miller like a hand in glove.
    I love Klaus, and I just got this at my local comic shoppe:
    41g57Yw9NLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Never read it, but it looks to be great...
    Really need to set aside some binge watch time for Daredevil season one and two on Netflix, still not watched it.
    Klaus janson was a disappointment for me. Mazuchelli fitted Miller like a hand in glove.
    I think I might get this next:
    41Qg3D1G2rL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edit to add: My local shoppe didn't have it so I ordered it. I'm fairly certain I have many of the issues it collects in my comic boxes somewhere, but I like trade paperbacks anyway.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    My next comics purchases in the future will move from Batman to Daredevil. I want to get all of Miller's stuff first, then see what else is out there. I wish I lived remotely close to a real-deal comics place so that I didn't have to go on Amazon for everything and face shipping costs and delivery woes.
    My next comics purchases in the future will move from Batman to Daredevil. I want to get all of Miller's stuff first, then see what else is out there. I wish I lived remotely close to a real-deal comics place so that I didn't have to go on Amazon for everything and face shipping costs and delivery woes.
    I'm fortunate that I have a comic dealer a 4 minute drive from me- but even they sell out of stuff. Sometimes you just have to order online...

I'm REAL particular about the art. It has to really send me, otherwise I'd rather be reading a novel or watching a movie. The premise of the DD story "End Of Days" doesn't actually appeal to me (though it intrigues me, if that makes sense), but one look into the pages sold me instantly.

And ALSO, this review of the theatrical release of Daredevil is pretty spot on IMHO.
    http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/daredevil-2003
    Who knows how much better he would have rated the Director's Cut?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I think I might get this next:
    41Qg3D1G2rL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edit to add: My local shoppe didn't have it so I ordered it. I'm fairly certain I have many of the issues it collects in my comic boxes somewhere, but I like trade paperbacks anyway.

I have that one in my collection. One of the best storylines in DD and the artwork is something to behold.