Ubisoft Originally Pitched Splinter Cell as a James Bond Game

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This confirms something I have secretly suspected for years. I think SC had all the ingredients for a great Bond game at the time. All three first SC games by the way.
    Maybe this means Ubisoft is up next I hope
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Michael Ironside as James Bond... Hmm...
  • RC7RC7
    DarthDimi wrote:
    This confirms something I have secretly suspected for years.

Me too. That GE:64 was a welcome anomaly, but EON haven't the foggiest when it comes to the 007 licence. Bond is a franchise that can be both exploited for serious monetary gain while simultaneously satisfying the fans. It's still beyond my comprehension that EON haven't had a serious discussion with Traveller's Tales about a Bond Lego game. They've done Indy - 4 films. LOTR - 3 films. POTC - 4 films. They have 23 films, rammed to hilt with iconography. I don't get it. On a more artistic level, why haven't they negotiated their 'Arkham'. Stop wasting the licence EON!

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    RC7 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Me too. That GE:64 was a welcome anomaly, but EON haven't the foggiest when it comes to the 007 licence. Bond is a franchise that can be both exploited for serious monetary gain while simultaneously satisfying the fans. It's still beyond my comprehension that EON haven't had a serious discussion with Traveller's Tales about a Bond Lego game. They've done Indy - 4 films. LOTR - 3 films. POTC - 4 films. They have 23 films, rammed to hilt with iconography. I don't get it. On a more artistic level, why haven't they negotiated their 'Arkham'. Stop wasting the licence EON!

i doubt now that will be as flipped with the licensing now as they were in the past... i thought i remember reading at one point that after Goldeneye 64, Rare was ready to make a follow up- but the plans fell through, and in the end EON/MGM optioned the license to EA with TWINE....

admittedly, after EA dropped the ball with the FRWL game, I was looking forward to Activision taking over - at the time, the company was exploding because of the COD games, so i thought if they put in the same tender loving care into a Bond game, the way they do with COD, then Bond would be set..... but alas, they treated the property as a quick cash grab and didn't put their full capabilities into it... and by the time they got to 007Legends, the franchise had become a laughing stock in the gaming community...

so i doubt EON wants more egg on their face by opting the rights to a company that is just going to sit on it, and push out beta quality games every 2 years.... Bond deserves much more than that.
    RC7 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I've often wondered that too. After the success of LEGO Star Wars and Indy, I would have thought it obvious that the next move would be Bond. I'd be amazed if TT hadn't approached EON to dialogue at some point.

It would appear that EON seem to be so stingy when handing out the Bond rights these days. The lack of official merchandise is staggering.
    RC7 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I've often wondered that too. After the success of LEGO Star Wars and Indy, I would have thought it obvious that the next move would be Bond. I'd be amazed if TT hadn't approached EON to dialogue at some point.

It would appear that EON seem to be so stingy when handing out the Bond rights these days. The lack of official merchandise is staggering.

This also dumbfounded me I mean EON could make lots and lots of money on

Video games done right
    A young bond television show (set in the 70's based on the current bond's time line but using higson's novels hell let him write story outlines for each episode)
    Action figures with DC direct and marvel you would think we would get action figures for the adult collector based on all 24 films.
    Bond video games

While I am excited about the new novel and Bond's return to comic book form I feel there are so many missed opportunities for 007
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    EON really doesn't know how to capitalize off Bond beyond what we already have (ie: films, novel tie-ins, video games - 2 of which they don't do anymore, or havent done recently)... they really need some fresh blood to come in and let them know that there is a market out there for certain things... Licensed Figurines and/or Authentic looking Replica Props is one of them.... they've screwed the pooch with video games over the past 5 years, that unless the license is being handed off to the right people, i would rather it stay dormant than simply cranking out a game simply because it's been a couple years..
    I'm a big fan of Splinter Cell and James Bond they are my top favorite game series.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I've never played Splinter Cell, but I'm definitely going to look into it now.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've never played Splinter Cell, but I'm definitely going to look into it now.

It's good. Though it sometimes feels a little repetitive.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sometimes, Hitman and Splinter Cell do share similarities, apart from the parkour/climbing/jumping thing. But, I would always have preferred the Hitman gameplay for a James Bond game. I have to tell you, though, Splinter Cell has never attracted me for a reason.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Sometimes, Hitman and Splinter Cell do share similarities, apart from the parkour/climbing/jumping thing. But, I would always have preferred the Hitman gameplay for a James Bond game. I have to tell you, though, Splinter Cell has never attracted me for a reason.

I am playing the new Hitman and it is more Bondian in style than anything else i can think of. As for Splinter Cell, if you never got into it you probably won't now, but maybe you could give Blacklist a Spin. It was the lattest game and in my personal opinion the best. Perfect blend of Action and Stealth. you don't feel so much like a tank anymore.

I don't really think Splinter Cell and Bond would mix that well.
    Bond was as stealthy as it gets in Bloodstone, there were definitly some minor elements from Splinter Cell borrowed there. Anything more than that would be too much for Bond
    00Agent wrote: »

I am playing the new Hitman and it is more Bondian in style than anything else i can think of. As for Splinter Cell, if you never got into it you probably won't now, but maybe you could give Blacklist a Spin. It was the lattest game and in my personal opinion the best. Perfect blend of Action and Stealth. you don't feel so much like a tank anymore.

I don't really think Splinter Cell and Bond would mix that well.
    Bond was as stealthy as it gets in Bloodstone, there were definitly some minor elements from Splinter Cell borrowed there. Anything more than that would be too much for Bond
    I tried the Paris and Sapienza levels from the new Hitman and I have to agree with you 100% that it could simply be turned into a James Bond game. A change of lead character from 47 to 007, and you have it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't remember there being much stealth in Bloodstone (there wasn't even a crouch ability). Good driving sections, but good luck in finding stealth sections. Splinter Cell oozes stealth and espionage. I never got to play Conviction, but the other games are highly recommended. @BMW_with_missiles - the first 3 games were re-released in a HD Collection for the ps3.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 5,185
    @MajorSmythe, yes there wasn't much stealth in Bloodstone except for the beginning of the Monaco level and the one in Bangkok after the truck chase.
    But too much stealth would not fit Bond either. He is not a character who could remain in the shadows over the course of a whole game. Maybe 1 or 2 levels, for a PTS maybe and infiltration of the villains lair.

Bond as a character is more confrontational, he wants to be in the open and provoke his enemies directly. He needs to be in the limelight with big party scenes etc.
    Blood Stone has plenty of moments where you can choose stealth, but aren't required to use it.
    Splinter Cell Conviction and Bloodstone for some reason both had mark and execute. I'm just guessing Activation got that idea from Conviction.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Hitman: Absolution and Red Dead Redemption also had a mark and execute system.
    Hitman: Absolution and Read Dead Redemption also had a mark and execute system.
    Never really played Hitman but I feel like Splinter Cell Conviction kind of started that to begin with.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mazouni wrote: »
    Splinter Cell Conviction and Bloodstone for some reason both had mark and execute. I'm just guessing Activation got that idea from Conviction.

I wouldn't be surprised. Activision dragged Bond down to the level of CoD clones. At the end of EA's run, the wheels came off with GERA. But at the same time, they gave us AUF, NF & EON.

00Agent - I would certainly like to see more stealth in Bond games, he is a spy, afterall. Or should that be, would have liked.....
    Mazouni wrote: »
    Hitman: Absolution and Read Dead Redemption also had a mark and execute system.
    Never really played Hitman but I feel like Splinter Cell Conviction kind of started that to begin with.
    Yes, as far as I know, it started with Conviction.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    @BMW_with_missiles - the first 3 games were re-released in a HD Collection for the ps3.

Ooooh! Good to know. Thanks.
    the first 3 games were re-released in a HD Collection for the ps3.

I've considered getting the Splinter Cell collection, despite already owning the first three (on three separate consoles, no less), is there anything special about the collection, aside from the games being in HD?
    the first 3 games were re-released in a HD Collection for the ps3.

I've considered getting the Splinter Cell collection, despite already owning the first three (on three separate consoles, no less), is there anything special about the collection, aside from the games being in HD?

Same here, but I own all 4 for the original X Box. As far as I am aware, the only differences are the HD makeover and a trophy collection for each game. Nothing else has changed.