007 Nightfire Appreciation

Comments

I LOVED the original GE so I don't think the new one will be the same ;)
    You're 100% right. The classic GE was awesome, and the first game to bring success to 007 Gaming franchise. But, for me, NF is the top of all the games.
    I don't own the original GE game, but I've played it at a friend's house. It was good, but I found that N64 controller very difficult to use, and after having played games with modern graphics, the original GE was slightly disappointing in its graphics. Yes, I know, that was 1997, and there wasn't much that could have been done, but it made the gameplay more annoying.
    I don't own the original GE game, but I've played it at a friend's house. It was good, but I found that N64 controller very difficult to use, and after having played games with modern graphics, the original GE was slightly disappointing in its graphics. Yes, I know, that was 1997, and there wasn't much that could have been done, but it made the gameplay more annoying.
    i disagree with you on this. GE64 had spectacular gameplay, the same gameplay that NF on Console had. And the graphics are still heavy for the record. It is still realistic. The only thing I hated in that game was the death scenes. EON had the best death scenes that were described properly as how a true gentleman dies (if he fails in the game), falls on his back straightly. Not falling on his knees like girls. Gee, I hate the latter idea I've mentioned.
    Oh man, Nightfire was simply amazing. I'd spend hours upon hours fighting increasingly more difficult bots in multiplayer, and a 120 life "Top Agent" match against random villains. It's multiplayer and gameplay felt like a modern GoldenEye but distinctly it's own. It made me wish the GCN went online.
    Yep, I still play NF both on console and PC. Multi-player on Console was based on GE64's and PC's was based on Half-Life mod. I love them both. They have proper gameplays.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    correct me if i'm wrong, but Nightfire was the first original storylined Bond game to have it's own opening title sequence and theme wasn't it?.... though the song by Esthero, "Nearly Civilized", wasn't written for the game - the rights were simply bought just to use it - it was still a very nice touch, and has a spot in my Bond theme collection, right next to "Everything Or Nothing" by Mya and "I'll Take It All" by Joss Stone.
    Played it with a friend today, and we loved it! It's an old favorite of ours that we still play every single time we get together. It's multiplayer never fails to have a new epic surprise waiting for us, whether it's killing May Day with an explosive fire extinguisher, watching Jaws survive every headshot you pound into him, or kill each other at the exact same time with Delta Repeaters. This is definitely the finest Bond video game ever to be made!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    00Beast wrote:
    EON was a great game, but my problem with it was the whole 3rd Person thing.

I thought EON was the best of the EA produced games. I also didn't have a problem with the game being in 3rd person. When a Bond game is in 1st person, they have the pressure of being in GoldenEye 64's shadow, because that is considered the best Bond game ever (or evar, as teh internets likes to say).

In a way, it's become that with recent Activision 1st persons, because now we want them to step out of COD's shadow (when I give Activision a lot of credit for taking one of the world's best licensed video game series and marrying it to the world's best 1st person shooter gameplay; imagine if they'd married the Bond license to the original 1993 Doom's gameplay, now you give them more respect, don't you?)

I think more Bond games should be made in 3rd person, especially if they follow the Blood Stone style, because that was a great game (and my favorite Bond game).

Okay, and all the FRWL hate: Put a mostly talky film into the video game realm and what do you get: a two hour cutscene with no interactivity! The action was a necessary part of the medium.
  • HASEROT wrote:
    correct me if i'm wrong, but Nightfire was the first original storylined Bond game to have it's own opening title sequence and theme wasn't it?.... though the song by Esthero, "Nearly Civilized", wasn't written for the game - the rights were simply bought just to use it - it was still a very nice touch, and has a spot in my Bond theme collection, right next to "Everything Or Nothing" by Mya and "I'll Take It All" by Joss Stone.

Technically, Agent Under Fire was the first one with a completely original storyline - although it didn't have its own title sequence, theme song either (And Bond himself didn't even look close to Brosnan)

But other than that, it was a great game, a lot more challenging than Nightfire but a less coherent plot.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    No, but Bond in AUF was modeled after an actual person (this is discussed elsewhere, I believe Andrew Bicknel, or something along those lines).
    00Beast wrote:
    EON was a great game, but my problem with it was the whole 3rd Person thing.

I thought EON was the best of the EA produced games. I also didn't have a problem with the game being in 3rd person. When a Bond game is in 1st person, they have the pressure of being in GoldenEye 64's shadow, because that is considered the best Bond game ever (or evar, as teh internets likes to say).

In a way, it's become that with recent Activision 1st persons, because now we want them to step out of COD's shadow (when I give Activision a lot of credit for taking one of the world's best licensed video game series and marrying it to the world's best 1st person shooter gameplay; imagine if they'd married the Bond license to the original 1993 Doom's gameplay, now you give them more respect, don't you?)

I think more Bond games should be made in 3rd person, especially if they follow the Blood Stone style, because that was a great game (and my favorite Bond game).

Okay, and all the FRWL hate: Put a mostly talky film into the video game realm and what do you get: a two hour cutscene with no interactivity! The action was a necessary part of the medium.

Oh yeah, Bloodstone's 3rd person got it right, I definitely agree with you there! I just didn't like the akward feel of EoN's 3rd person. It was, at times, a little difficult to handle.
    00Beast wrote:
    Oh yeah, Bloodstone's 3rd person got it right, I definitely agree with you there! I just didn't like the akward feel of EoN's 3rd person. It was, at times, a little difficult to handle.

Well, I guess at times it felt kind of awkward to move, is that what you mean?
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Nightfire's the greatest Bond game, loses only for EoN.

Off-topic: I can make EON's last mission without take any shot at the first part ;P
    I haven't beaten EON since, like 2006, so I don't remember the last mission (to avoid the obvious answer of replaying the game: I erased my save).
    I haven't beaten EON since, like 2006, so I don't remember the last mission (to avoid the obvious answer of replaying the game: I erased my save).

EoN's last level was surprisingly very difficult to beat! To remind you, at the end of the level, Bond fires a rocket at Diavolo's tower and he falls into the rocket thrust beneath him and dies. Then Bond blows up Diavolo's missile and saves the day! (cue the heroic music)
    00Beast wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.
    00Beast wrote:

EoN's last level was surprisingly very difficult to beat! To remind you, at the end of the level, Bond fires a rocket at Diavolo's tower and he falls into the rocket thrust beneath him and dies. Then Bond blows up Diavolo's missile and saves the day! (cue the heroic music)
    00Beast wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.

Oh, that's right. Now I remember why I forgot it: I hated it. And, yes, EON's movement animations and physics seemed a little awkward, but let's give them a little credit: it's a big improvement over TND on the PS1.

Back to NightFire, anybody remember the level entitled "Night Shift" (on the consoles, don't know what it is on the PC)? It's the one where you have to tranquilize the guards and sneak around the building? How many of you thought it was hard the first few times you played it, and now find it one of the easiest missions?
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Oh, that's right. Now I remember why I forgot it: I hated it. And, yes, EON's movement animations and physics seemed a little awkward, but let's give them a little credit: it's a big improvement over TND on the PS1.

Back to NightFire, anybody remember the level entitled "Night Shift" (on the consoles, don't know what it is on the PC)? It's the one where you have to tranquilize the guards and sneak around the building? How many of you thought it was hard the first few times you played it, and now find it one of the easiest missions?

I do, lol. But the last part of this mission at 00 Agent is not so easy, lot of guys shooting at u, and u are so vunerable on the area.
    Yeah, but at least that's the last part. The level would have sucked if everything up to the end was difficult, then you get a really easy outro.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 2,635
    Yeah, but at least that's the last part. The level would have sucked if everything up to the end was difficult, then you get a really easy outro.

All the other levels in the game (Except for this one, Countdown and Island Infiltration) are so easy, and i can end with with full health and armor... But this one is hard to do it at the end lol, i can finish the mission at least with a half of the life.
    Yes, Island Infiltration (if I remember correctly, that's a vehicle level, the SUV and then the plane and then some kind of weird super laser) was difficult. The submarine level before that usually only gets me at the end, and then I have to start over simply because there are no checkpoints in that level (EA's biggest problem: Few checkpoints in their Bond games).
    Yes, Island Infiltration (if I remember correctly, that's a vehicle level, the SUV and then the plane and then some kind of weird super laser) was difficult. The submarine level before that usually only gets me at the end, and then I have to start over simply because there are no checkpoints in that level (EA's biggest problem: Few checkpoints in their Bond games).

Yep, Island Infiltration is actually that one. The easiest part is the plane one, although i find it very boring.

The submarine level is the easiest for me, although the mines and the last part with that big sub firing and firing and firing at u, both pisses me off lol... And at some times, when i was playing at the Mines part in that mission, i was very concentrated on getting through the mines... But i had so much concentration, that when a mine hit me i almost sh#t myself LOL

I agree with u, the lack of checkpoints pisses me off too, especially at this v12 sub mission.

Also what pisses me of is when i accidentally restart the mission, and instead of restarting from the checkpoint, they restart the whole mission. :/

X3MSonicX wrote:
    Also what pisses me of is when i accidentally restart the mission, and instead of restarting from the checkpoint, they restart the whole mission. :/

The only game I ever had this problem in was FRWL, and I've never been able to figure out why.
    X3MSonicX wrote:

I do, lol. But the last part of this mission at 00 Agent is not so easy, lot of guys shooting at u, and u are so vunerable on the area.

Oh definitely! It's super-easy until the last part, unless you picked up the Scorpion rocket launcher in Mayhew's office on his desk, and then you can take them all out with no problem!

Yeah, the checkpoints always annoyed me, especially when you're right at the end of the level or just about to come to the new checkpoint, and then you die.
  • X3MSonicX wrote:

an easy way to pass the stealth part is to use your fists as much as possible, they don't get up that way AND it doesn't count as killing them. I always used to just run through the last part going crazy with my gun and and hoping I didnt die, happy days :)
  • Yes, Island Infiltration (if I remember correctly, that's a vehicle level, the SUV and then the plane and then some kind of weird super laser) was difficult. The submarine level before that usually only gets me at the end, and then I have to start over simply because there are no checkpoints in that level (EA's biggest problem: Few checkpoints in their Bond games).

that sumbarine level used to always get me at the end too. Every time I used to get blown up by the last big sumbarine. I liked the plane part on island infiltration, nice change of pace. Nightfire had lots of variety in the missions, this is the way a FPS should be done, not the call of duty way (shoot one guy, shoot another, and another, no variety)
    Except that the real COD games have those once in a while missions where you're the guy in the plane, shooting at the guys on the ground. Or in Modern Warfare 2 where you can be that astronaut who dies. They need to add things like this into Activision's Bond games.
    What is the Bond film which has the Atlantis Underwater base? I'd want to see this movie.
    The Spy Who Loved Me.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    What is the Bond film which has the Atlantis Underwater base? I'd want to see this movie.

Not sure if you knew this already, but the Sub Pen from Nightfire is also in The Spy Who Loved Me, so you'll recoginize two maps easily!