Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Even at an old age, I still have problems with beating Tomorrow Never Dies on Agent Difficulty. I've beat the game only a few years ago for the first time, can you believe that? Now, that's a game with little bit of possibility to offer you a path of victory. Too damn hard. And yes, it's the hardest Bond game ever.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Even at an old age, I still have problems with beating Tomorrow Never Dies on Agent Difficulty. I've beat the game only a few years ago for the first time, can you believe that? Now, that's a game with little bit of possibility to offer you a path of victory. Too damn hard. And yes, it's the hardest Bond game ever.

On the PS1? I loved that but most of that game is a blur to me, I can't recall much aside from the PTS mission, the one where you break into Gupta's office, and one involving driving the BMW at night.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

On the PS1? I loved that but most of that game is a blur to me, I can't recall much aside from the PTS mission, the one where you break into Gupta's office, and one involving driving the BMW at night.
    I played it many times despite its difficulties. The PTS level is obviously based on the Severnaya level from GoldenEye 007 in a way, and even has the same concepts (sky colour, weather setting, satellite building, etc). The skiing bits are of the game's better moments as is the BMW mission which is pretty hard itself. But, the boss fights are a pain in the arse.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,371
    I don't recall the skiing (I remember seeing it in the game trailers when I wanted some nostalgia and watched them a long while back), but I always loved the on-rails skiing sequence from N64's version of TWINE. Did the mission where you infiltrate Gupta's office end with you fighting Kaufman in a big room, or does my memory fail me?
    There are two skiing levels. One in the PTS mission and another during an original stage nonexistent in the film where you infiltrate the base of Sotoshi Isagura (mentioned in the film) around the Japanese mountains. The ski sequences in these were manually performed as opposed to the one in the N64 The World Is Not Enough (the PS1 counterpart also had a manual skiing level).

And no, Gupta's office only had you going through Carver's newspaper publishing factory. You fight Kaufman in the hotel level long after engaging in a firefight with Carver's goons with AK-47s. After you defeat Kaufman, you rescue Paris and orchestrate her escape out of Hamburg and she survives in this adaptation.
    Very cool! I'd say I last played this 15 years ago or so, but at least I was bang on about fighting Kaufman at some point!
    Very cool! I'd say I last played this 15 years ago or so, but at least I was bang on about fighting Kaufman at some point!
    Oh it's very hard! In fact, all the boss fights in this game are awfully hard. Take into account that every AI's shooting accuracy is 100%.
    Oh it's very hard! In fact, all the boss fights in this game are awfully hard. Take into account that every AI's shooting accuracy is 100%.

I'd say the "hardest" I've ever found a game (in terms of both raw difficulty and the cheapness of the AI) was 'Call of Duty: World at War' on Veteran Difficulty. Whoooo-ho-hoooo, man, I can't think of too many other times in life that I've been that frustrated and flipping-out bitter before.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

The level where you play as Wai Lin and fight the helicopter was the hardest for me. It didn't help that the draw-distance meant that you could hardly see it to shoot it. And the aiming controls, AAAAAH!

I'd say the "hardest" I've ever found a game (in terms of both raw difficulty and the cheapness of the AI) was 'Call of Duty: World at War' on Veteran Difficulty. Whoooo-ho-hoooo, man, I can't think of too many other times in life that I've been that frustrated and flipping-out bitter before.
    I have only played a few of them. After Modern Warfare, the Call Of Duty series have been off my list of interests, especially with the gameplay system they are designated upon.

The level where you play as Wai Lin and fight the helicopter was the hardest for me. It didn't help that the draw-distance meant that you could hardly see it to shoot it. And the aiming controls, AAAAAH!
    Oh don't get me started on that level. Lol! The controls are executed badly in the whole game. Wai Lin's level was one of the hardest, especially when you have to fight that helicopter with limited ammunition you have in your bazooka. I had the exact same problem with the Caviar Factory level on the PS1 version of The World Is Not Enough. The aiming is just tad too lame. Then again, both of them were developed by Black Ops Entertainment. Not very good developers.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I always enjoyed playing the 'Market District' level. That had one of my favourite tracks from any Bond game.

@ClarkDevlin, I became burnt out on CoD years ago, but I've completed every single one on Veteran thus far, so I have to pick the latest one up at some point once it's cheap and used just for that reason.
    I always enjoyed playing the 'Market District' level. That had one of my favourite tracks from any Bond game.

Yes, the level with Wai Lin. The game's soundtrack has a mixed reception from me. Some of them are great, some of them are unbearable.
    @ClarkDevlin, I became burnt out on CoD years ago, but I've completed every single one on Veteran thus far, so I have to pick the latest one up at some point once it's cheap and used just for that reason.

@Creasy47- The last time I checked out a CoD game had Kevin Spacey in it as a villain. I got it solely for that reason. But, I didn't enjoy it to tell you the truth.

Yes, the level with Wai Lin. The game's soundtrack has a mixed reception from me. Some of them are great, some of them are unbearable.

I felt the same way about the soundtrack for 007 Racing. The version of the Bond Theme that plays during the first level is great, but everything else is meh.

I felt the same way about the soundtrack for 007 Racing. The version of the Bond Theme that plays during the first level is great, but everything else is meh.
    Some of them had great tunes. It took me sometime to get used to them and some of them do make great jazz themes. But, some others rely too much on techno which are annoying.
    Just played Journey on the PS3. This game is on drugs and is the most overrated game I've ever played.
    One of my all-time favourite video games, which introduced me to the brilliant comics it's based on. Has anyone played XIII? A stylish comic book-like video game with a spy conspiracy thriller as the basis of its plot. I rank it next to the first No One Lives Forever video game as the second greatest First-Person Shooter I've ever played.

51v57258WvL._SX385_.jpg
  • @ClarkDevlin

I can remember a game for the pc that I'm pretty sure was no one lives forever.

Did you have to fight a singing fat women at some point? That's the only concrete bit I can remember.

That game was so awesome. Why do modern games seem so terrible in comparison. I'm tempted to say nostalgia but it's more than that. There are less and less games where a good single player campaign is the focus. Less risks taken because they know what the safe bet genres are. Half games released and the rest released as DLC (which I refuse to pay for) .
    That is No One Lives Forever, @Oddjobs_hat. A spectacular game and perhaps the best first person shooter ever made, better than any James Bond game, while some bits really mimicked the Austin Powers series (as well as many other spy thrillers from the 1960s). I enjoy it immensely and am on the verge of playing it, again. Ask @MajorDSmythe! :D

If you haven't played the sequel to No One Lives Forever, please do. In that game, you fight a mime on a unicycle. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 13,882
    The No One Lives Forever games (the first 2) are a delight to play. The kitschy 60's art style, the campy humor... wonderful stuff.
  • @ClarkDevlin

I'm tempted but I'm wary of going back to old games after my experience with the hitman collection.
    What the Major said. :D

Oh, don't worry, @Oddjobs_hat. Get it on PS2 if you still have it. On PC, you're going to have to get a Windows XP to get it to work.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 13,882
    @Oddjobs_hat - If it will put you mind at rest, here is a walkthrough to give you an idea:

Take a gamble, the NOLF games are worth it. Any Bond fan who is also a gamer, should try them. As @ClarkDevlin said, you can buy the first one on the PS2 if you don't play games on your PC, the second one was a PC exclusive.
    @MajorDSmythe, you've no idea how much I love the Morocco segment. It was so 1960s!
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Loved XIII especially the sections in Artic compounds, think it was the Arctic.
    @ClarkDevlin, I played 'XIII,' as well! Didn't they recently make a show based off of it? I don't remember much from the game aside from a beach level and the cel-shadedness to it, because again, it's been a very, very long time since I played it. I do remember enjoying it, though!
    Loved XIII especially the sections in Artic compounds, think it was the Arctic.
    It had a Black Ops feeling to it, didn't it? :D And then, you infiltrate the submarine after that... Great stuff!
    @ClarkDevlin, I played 'XIII,' as well! Didn't they recently make a show based off of it? I don't remember much from the game aside from a beach level and the cel-shadedness to it, because again, it's been a very, very long time since I played it. I do remember enjoying it, though!
    @Creasy47, do not lose a moment and play it, again! It's one of those games I can't get enough of. Oh, and by the way, if you want to read my review of the show, here it is. :)

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/562328/#Comment_562328
    I'd lose my mind (in a good way) if I managed to go back and play some childhood favorites, but I don't play any games on my Mac (never been a PC gamer at all) and all I have is a PS4, though I've debated a Nintendo 64 or at least an original Xbox/Xbox 360 purchase for a while, just for that reason.
    I'd lose my mind (in a good way) if I managed to go back and play some childhood favorites, but I don't play any games on my Mac (never been a PC gamer at all) and all I have is a PS4, though I've debated a Nintendo 64 or at least an original Xbox/Xbox 360 purchase for a while, just for that reason.
    @Creasy47- The game is available on Xbox, GameCube, PS2, PC and OS X (which I assume is Mac). You have many versions of it to play. :)

But, be careful not to choose the recent version of the XIII game which is a reboot and is a point-to-play adventure game called XIII: Lost Identity. Just directly go for the 2003 game.
    @MajorDSmythe, you've no idea how much I love the Morocco segment. It was so 1960s!

I liked the segments on the plane, and when you have to infiltrate the office building.