HERE BE SPOILERS - Skyfall Codename Conspiracy

edited November 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 1
With Skyfall I picked up on a few bits and bobs, some of which support the name James Bond as a codename assigned to Agent Number 007.

First of all Raoul Silva seemed to me like a code name given to him when he joined MI6. It made me think that all MI6 agents were given code names. This later excited me when the Aston Martin was used, maybe thinking that it was the car issued to Sean Connery's Bond in the 60s, as it was obviously MI6 property in storage and not just a classic car that Bond had in a garage somewhere. This meant that the reboot and the old series were one in the same continuity, just that the name is passed on from one 007 to the other. It also meant that Judi Dench's M was the same M from the other 007 universe.

However Silva's character then spots the gravestone and we get the (lovely) ending with the new M in the classic setting. Which completely destroys what I thought was going to be revealed.

I know the car discussion is being held, but do you think that the codename theory *could* hold any water due to Silva's real name?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited November 2012 Posts: 10,512
    I'm sure there's another thread on this. I'll be honest most fans despise this theory. Tracy's grave in FYEO? I actually can't believe people give it credence. 'You always go back to Fleming' as the saying goes. No codename in the books, no codename for me I'm afraid.
  • Nope.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 4,619
    Question:
    Penguin101 wrote:
    I know the car discussion is being held, but do you think that the codename theory *could* hold any water due to Silva's real name?

Answer:
    Penguin101 wrote:
    However Silva's character then spots the gravestone and we get the (lovely) ending with the new M in the classic setting. Which completely destroys what I thought was going to be revealed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RC7 wrote:
    I'm sure there's another thread on this. I'll be honest most fans despise this theory. Tracy's grave in FYEO? I actually can't believe people give it credence. 'You always go back to Fleming' as the saying goes. No codename in the books, no codename for me I'm afraid.

Truer words were never spoken! It's utter madness IMO that James Bond would be a codename. This idea only serves the continuity police and continuity happens to be something the series doesn't value. If anything, SF supports the legacy of the Bond family. I call it heresy to suggest that bit of nonsense.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Not this stupid theory again, please? It makes no sense at all.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Truer words were never spoken! It's utter madness IMO that James Bond would be a codename. This idea only serves the continuity police and continuity happens to be something the series doesn't value. If anything, SF supports the legacy of the Bond family. I call it heresy to suggest that bit of nonsense.

Exactly.
    It is not a code name pure and simple. His code name is 007.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    It is not a code name pure and simple. His code name is 007.

Even the Moneypenny diaries, the books on Moneypenny, do refer to James Bond 007 even if the name JB is a disguise for the real deal who does remain anonymus.

James Bond is James Bond imho.

;)
    I wonder if the code name theory has its origins in CR67 ;-).
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I wonder if the code name theory has its origins in CR67 ;-).

Most definitely 8-}
  • I doubt Kincade would be calling Bond by a codename.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 23,447
    I doubt Kincade would be calling Bond by a codename.

Excellent point!! (And welcome to the forum!)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Penguin101 wrote:
    With Skyfall I picked up on a few bits and bobs, some of which support the name James Bond as a codename assigned to Agent Number 007.

First of all Raoul Silva seemed to me like a code name given to him when he joined MI6. It made me think that all MI6 agents were given code names. This later excited me when the Aston Martin was used, maybe thinking that it was the car issued to Sean Connery's Bond in the 60s, as it was obviously MI6 property in storage and not just a classic car that Bond had in a garage somewhere. This meant that the reboot and the old series were one in the same continuity, just that the name is passed on from one 007 to the other. It also meant that Judi Dench's M was the same M from the other 007 universe.

That's not a good start youre off to there Penguin101! Oh dear.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    That's not a good start youre off to there Penguin101! Oh dear.

Now come on, Wizard, we're all entitled to our opinions...

... Although I agree with the vast majority that the Bond-is-a-codename theory is a load of old codswallop and too often sends a shudder down my spine whenever someone comes out with it... ;)

• Yeah the prods have always gone against the codename, Tamahori's initial idea for DAD resolved on 'Bond' merely being a codename and that the film would see Pierce's 007 meet a former 007. But EON poo-pooed the idea saying Bond is one man.
    In terms of the DB5, the recent Empire P&W podcast shows that they too were against the idea of a GF-kitted out DB5 as it didn't fit in line with the reboot continuity, but it was Mendes who added it, so I'd imagine its inclusion is an individual flourish, a wink to the film series' history.
    Plus reboot-Bond and DN-DAD Bond are clearly the same man. Same past, just different continuities.
    Raoul Silva was a fake name setup by Silva himself. His real name is Thiago Rodriguez if I remember correctly. So no codename. He just got another identity to hide himself.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Only one Bond ...codename theory is absurd. Fleming created Bond ..filmmakers created their own Bond that has morphed and been reimagined over and over again as times changed ...yes EoN has little regard for continuity and increasing less for Fleming but it's still Bond.

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    His codename is 007. That's glaringly obvious, and the films have established enough continuity to confirm that. Why would Bond need two codenames?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The codename idea, is like a Zombie, it just won't die. :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    There are many buffoons on Facebook who truly believe in the "Codename" nonsense.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Too many buffoons period
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Codename theory is just too substantial to be completely false. I wish I could dismiss it, but the evidence is right there.
    Absolute nonsense. Codename=007, his name is James Bond. His father was called Andrew; his mother was called Monique.
    The codename, is obviously an idea from those who have no real knowledge
    of Fleming's work or the history of the character. It's a simple solution for the
    unenlightened.
    In fact I'm now so bored with it, I let those who wish to live in ignorance, to get
    on with their lives, watching TOWIE and Jeremy Kyle. :D
    Codename theory is just too substantial to be completely false. I wish I could dismiss it, but the evidence is right there.

I wonder what Fleming would make of that.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117

As a scientist it's anathema to me to dismiss something in the face of contrary 'evidence' so feel free to furnish us with the facts that prove this bullshit.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Hey, I didn't say I like, or Fleming would approve. The films are reknowned for doing things that would make Fleming turn in his grave. This is nothing special. You're saying if we all just close our eyes and cover our ears, it'll go away.
    I remember having a discussion with a "Fan" who based his theory on only
    seeing a couple of films. He was still working his way through them, but had
    no interest in the Old films or the books. Although he felt very confident in giving
    some very authoritative views as if he was the world's leading expert. :D
    If it makes some happy thinking there is some big hidden conspiracy behind
    the Name, then please go on thinking that. Along with writing with crayons and
    having you food mixed up for you. :D
    I remember having a discussion with a "Fan" who based his theory on only
    seeing a couple of films. He was still working his way through them, but had
    no interest in the Old films or the books. Although he felt very confident in giving
    some very authoritative views as if he was the world's leading expert. :D
    If it makes some happy thinking there is some big hidden conspiracy behind
    the Name, then please go on thinking that. Along with writing with crayons and
    having you food mixed up for you. :D

This is anecdotal at best.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Hey, I didn't say I like, or Fleming would approve. The films are reknowned for doing things that would make Fleming turn in his grave. This is nothing special. You're saying if we all just close our eyes and cover our ears, it'll go away.

There's nothing to go away though is there mate.
    Please list the "Evidence" that you mentioned and will you also be confused and need
    a "Theory" to explain the next actor to play Indy ? =))
This discussion has been closed.