Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited February 2022 in General Movies & TV Posts: 23,449
I love Blade Runner. Second favourite film of all time. But do I have confidence in BR2? I'm not sure. With Prometheus, Scott gave me a film I liked but was still somewhat disappointed with as it wasn't a true Alien movie. Luckily, the script for BR2 seems to be in the hands of Hampton Fancher, who is 77 by the way. Scott himself is currently 76. And Ford is 73. Then there's Dave Bautista. I wonder if they bring in Sean Young. :D Or Vangelis, also 73.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I will be there no matter what. I will have to be dead to stay away.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oh same here, @Thunderfinger. And even when dead, I'm sure they can fix me to a Nexus body.
    Yes, good point. No Matter What, then.
    I'm interested but I have doubts that it can succeed.

1) Blade Runner is still, despite its cult following and assumed popularity, a little-known film.

2) Hard sci-fi with an existential touch is relatively unpopular. I can, however, only imagine that BR2 will cost a lot (effects and such) so they might want to appeal to a wide audience.

3) The "you haven't seen this before!" effect probably won't work any more in this day and age because there's a very good chance we have seen it before.

4) Either BR2 stays close to BR, which may not bring in the big crowds, or it doesn't stay close to BR, which will upset me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The 2 films I'm most excited about for coming years: 'Blade Runner 2' and 'Indiana Jones 5'. The reason? Harrison Friggen Ford.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 12,242
    As I thought Indiana Jones 4 was a bad idea, I don't like the idea of Blade Runner 2 or Indiana Jones 5. Do I know they'll be bad movies? Of course not, but I'm not confident about the idea at all. Sequels for the sake of sequels (i.e. money) bugs me usually. If they can make great stories and entertaining movies out of them, then I'll gladly eat my words.
    Make it in glorious 3D.
    They're doing a Trainspotting 2 as well! How is that possible?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm going to see Trainspotting 2 on opening day just to witness Robert Carlyle cursing at everyone for 2 hours.
    Trainspotting is an amazing film but again, why a sequel? What wasn't said with the first one that they're going to say now?
    @DarthDimi I believe because the author of the original novel wrote a sequel, so they probably thought 'let's adapt that one too'. ;)
    The only sequels I truly hate are the sequels to the old Disney classics.

And the 4 sequels to 'LTK'? ;)

And the 4 sequels to 'LTK'? ;)

Haha! When you mention it, yes.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 12,242

Ugh they are so horrible. Especially since I had to buy them to get many of the classics on Blu-Ray! (They come bundled often). The only Disney sequel I really liked was The Rescuers Down Under. I don't count the 2011 Winnie the Pooh, which I also enjoyed.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Ugh they are so horrible. Especially since I had to buy them to get many of the classics on Blu-Ray! (They come bundled often). The only Disney sequel I really liked was The Rescuers Down Under. I don't count the 2011 Winnie the Pooh, which I also enjoyed.

The first sequel to Aladdin wasn t too bad.
    FoxRox wrote: »

The first sequel to Aladdin wasn t too bad.

Compared to the rest it's tolerable. Still, no Robin Williams made it sad. I actually prefer King of Thieves. Hunchback 2 was the absolute worst for me; first was so good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If Vangelis doesn't do the music I'll pass.
    If Sean Young isn't in it I'll pass.
    If they don't get the tone right I'll pass.
    If Ford dies in it I'll pass.

Basically, if they don't make me a consultant on the film, I'll pass.
    :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There should be a law that no sequel must be made of a movie that is older than 10 years. Noncompliance will be punished by having to watch Crystal Skull one week straight.
    Looks to me, @chrisisall that you want to make the film. Give me the part of Gaff and you have my support.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Looks to me, @chrisisall that you want to make the film. Give me the part of Gaff and you have my support.
    :))

Seriously, I don't see any way this film won't end up just making me sad.
    I would say, "let's have faith in Scott", but I won't.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have faith in it. The cast and crew are shaping up wonderfully, I think having anyone else behind it would have me worried and interest free.
    There should be a law that no sequel must be made of a movie that is older than 10 years. Noncompliance will be punished by having to watch Crystal Skull one week straight.

Cruel and unusual punishment...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I liked BLADE RUNNER too much to have any interest in a damned sequel.

I knew @Birdleson would share my opinion on this one. The first ended so perfectly too...
    The first one ended in a way that makes me wonder how you can go from here.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    But which ending do you talk about?
    All of them, my friend. Let the ambiguity reign supreme. I can't for the life of me imagine where they'd take the story from here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    But which ending do you talk about?

This. There are so many different versions of this movie.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,619
    DarthDimi wrote:
    With Prometheus, Scott gave me a film I liked but was still somewhat disappointed with as it wasn't a true Alien movie.

Yes, despite the fact that The Martian was pretty good, nowadays Scott is nowhere near as great a director as he used to be. On the other hand, Denis Villeneuve is at the top of his game and I'm very exited about him directing this film.

Shooting will start in Budapest, Hungary about 3 months from now. Most of the movie will be shot at the Korda Studio right next to Budapest, and additional filming will be done in rural Hungary and in China as far as I know. Also, don't forget that the great Roger Deakins is the cinematographer of this movie!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I liked BLADE RUNNER too much to have any interest in a damned sequel.

Think of it as a sci-fi directed by Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Sicario), shot by Roger Deakins and starring Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling.