"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    TMWTGG can't decide if it's trying to be fun and cheeky or grim and confrontational.
    I think it's all of those things and quirky as well.

No doubt that is why it has its fans. It doesn't work for me. It just feels very empty, tired, and shallow most of the time. A few of the other films can be shallow too, but TMWTGG particularly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    TMWTGG can't decide if it's trying to be fun and cheeky or grim and confrontational.

No doubt that is why it has its fans. It doesn't work for me. It just feels very empty, tired, and shallow most of the time. A few of the other films can be shallow too, but TMWTGG particularly.
    I'm disappointed to hear this, although not surprised. It's not a favourite here or among the general public, but I've always had a special place for it, perhaps because it was one of the earlier Bond films I saw. Moore is amazing in it, and I find it charismatic & colourful (locations and performances), although primarily idiosyncratic imho.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm disappointed to hear this, although not surprised. It's not a favourite here or among the general public, but I've always had a special place for it, perhaps because it was one of the earlier Bond films I saw. Moore is amazing in it, and I find it charismatic & colourful (locations and performances), although primarily idiosyncratic imho.

Of course it all comes down to opinion in the end. And I know what you mean about a film holding a special place in your heart, TLD was the first one I saw and liked and I'm disappointed as well when people bash it. Or GE, for that matter.
    Had a spare afternoon the other day and was overcome by an insane whim to put DAD on and I was pleasantly surprised that it was packed (perhaps that’s an exaggeration – there were a few) with some great Bondian moments in amongst the dross. As someone who over the years has liked nothing more than to put the boot in to DAD I thought it was time to cut it some slack so people the question is:

List your genuinely good things about DAD.

And please no hackneyed gags like ‘the end’.

1. The surfing is a stunt that doesn’t get the credit it deserves. Getting 3 people that close together on such a big wave is pretty impressive. (Whether Bond should ever surf at all is a different debate).

2. The whole Bond being tortured thing (Pretending to myself I didn’t know what was to come I even found myself loving the segue into the credits and the opening bars until Madonna opened her mouth).

3. I like the washed out look of the cinematography in the N Korea scenes.

4. The look that nurse gives as Bond legs it from the hospital is class. A nice homage to that hotel receptionist in TB (or was it DN?).

5. The Cuba scenes hark back to classic 60s Bond (well until Jinx turns up).

6. Bond catching the revolver as it falls off the MRI scanner.

7. Bond kicking the sword at the camera.

8. John Cleese comes across as a decent Q and would prefer to see him back than have some young techno geek as we have in SF.

9. Give Arnold some credit. Although his score his very derivative of Barry he comes up with some excellent moments. I like the Cuban music and the dramatic arrangement that comes in as The Clash fades out. The highlights though are two brassy bursts that echo the best of Barry. The first as the Aston drives towards the ice hotel and the second as the cars first come out onto the ice at the start of the chase with Zao.

10. No couldn’t make it to 10. Lets say the Pikelet but that’s talking with my sexist, misogynist dinosaur hat on rather than my film critic one.

Good luck finding some more. You'll need it.

Aside from the Iceland sequence, which I didn't really care for, I thought it was decent.

Now, if they got rid of Miranda Frost and put in someone with more brains, I would be more satisfied.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Bronsan as older Bond in a one off. That's what we need for BOND 25.

Yes!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Yes!
    One could only wish. But it won't happen in this life.

Yes!

Never Say Never Again.

I had to.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Yes!

Never Say Never Again.

I had to.
    Let's hope Beliebers won't misguidedly confuse the product with a merchandise of their own. :))

Yes!

Never Say Never Again.

I had to.
    Let's hope Beliebers won't misguidedly confuse the product with a merchandise of their own. :))

It would be nice to get the Beliebers to watch a Bond movie. After hearing the main theme they would finally know what music sounds like. =))
    Die Another Day is the worst of the 24 Bond films to date.
  • tanaka123 wrote: »

Well. I guess for this thread that was the elephant in the room...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Have you seen them all?

=))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    At last, after 44 pages, someone speaks the truth. Thank you.

QOS? Anyone?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Never Say Never Again is the Worst Bond movie for me. I'll take DAD 100 times over that tv movie.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,000
    I don't have a complete ranking, but I know my bottom two, at the present, are QOS and LTK.
    I will admit that DAD is...how do I phrase it shortly?... A Bond movie on acid.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Never Say Never Again is the Worst Bond movie for me. I'll take DAD 100 times over that tv movie.

I can enjoy them both.

Agreed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've tried hard but I just can't.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DAD beats TWINE for me. And QOS is a totally different level of quality IMO, much higher than TWINE or DAD.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    I think yes, overall DAD comes last in opinion, but there are quite a few people who don't have it at dead last. I don't. It is not even second-last.
    QOS is overall a good film, a few adjustments & had Mendes directed it I think it would be just as highly regarded as CR or SF
    "Here's to us."
    I'll take RoboGraves over MR Jaws any day of the week (and twice on Sundays). =))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    *shudders* Mendes would've ruined what made QoS so damn amazing. No thank you.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    QOS is overall a good film, a few adjustments & had Mendes directed it I think it would be just as highly regarded as CR or SF
    All of it slower & more 'artisitic'...

I'll admit that some of the parts of DAD are a guilty pleasure for me, such as the sword fight and the car chase on ice with Zao, that was cool, the rest of the movie is filled with absurdity.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Shoot me but I like the scene when Bond walks into the Hong Kong hotel with his bare chest and pyjamas. There's also a funny version of the Bond theme playing at that moment
  • w2bond wrote: »
    Shoot me but I like the scene when Bond walks into the Hong Kong hotel with his bare chest and pyjamas. There's also a funny version of the Bond theme playing at that moment

Most people do appreciate the first - quarter - for some people even half of DAD. But it becomes unsalvageable at the tidal wave.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    DAD is the 'Freddy got fingered' of the Bond series.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    w2bond wrote: »

Most people do appreciate the first - quarter - for some people even half of DAD. But it becomes unsalvageable at the tidal wave.

True, but that particular scene doesn't scream suave and cool. Not the Bond in the Terence Young films. Or even Goldeneye. But it's fun
    To be honest I think DAD starts to go down hill once Bond arrives in London - up to then it's pretty good. Just a shame they then decided that they wanted to do another style of Bond film.

But 'Say hello to gravity' - best line in the series :)