SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• edited March 2016 Posts: 389
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Heh, SP just won't give up will it. Always makes me wonder what kind of theaters they are that play these movies so many months after release. It seems like there's always 10-30 theaters or so that will hold onto these movies forever. Not sure if they are 2nd run theaters, or just cinemas with 20+ screens that hold out a single showing for a movie forever.

Wish there was one around me that would do that. I'd go check out SP one more time in theaters, just to get my bond theater fix in again before the long wait for bond 25.

I believe someone here mentioned recently that SP is just playing at the drive-in theatres in the USA.

Yes, and with a good average per screen, they are sitill interested in SP.
    About MGM and SP earnings:
    http://variety.com/2016/film/news/spectre-mgm-earnings-james-bond-1201738434/
  • This kind of thing where the film plays in theatres months after release can happen. Frozen played for ages I know. But Spectre wasn't the phenomenon of that level I don't think.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,098

Yes, its very interesting to read that this weekend SP (based on initial estimates) is ranked 10th in the $ average per theatre ranking in North America, and was actually making over twice as much money per theatre as 'SWTFA'.

For reference only 3 weeks ago SP was at a very lowly 85th in the $ per theatre earnings.

:)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Warner Bros. Pictures‘ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice added $8.1 million on Wednesday to push its domestic total past the $200 million mark after six days with $201.3 million. The global tally for the day was $28 million. The foreign sum is now $329.1 million for a worldwide total of $530.4 million.

see, it's all well and good Bond reaching and crossing 200 million domestic but it was an embarrassingly long crawl to get there. Bond doesn’t and shouldn't have to compete with these new school big boys and irrespective of what we think the producers and studio execs seem to think otherwise unfortunately. SF making a billion was a fluke imo where everything became aligned perfectly but tge producers were overwhelmingly misguided to think that they could repeat such success and even moreso to think such numbers could be achieved regularly with each subsequent outing; it didn't and won't happen. Bond movies shouldn't be costing more than 200 million and they should be aiming for more realistic and achievable returns i.e. circa 700million. Anything more should be a bonus.
    Bond is never going to compete with the Comic Book Superheroes. They are the current thing that people want. Spies were big in the 1960s, so we should be glad 007 is still going (fairly) strong now.

Bond carried on quite nicely through the 1980s without ever hitting any box office highs.

Has Spectre now closed? I don't see any figures this week on Box Office Mojo.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Warner Bros. Pictures‘ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice added $8.1 million on Wednesday to push its domestic total past the $200 million mark after six days with $201.3 million. The global tally for the day was $28 million. The foreign sum is now $329.1 million for a worldwide total of $530.4 million.

see, it's all well and good Bond reaching and crossing 200 million domestic but it was an embarrassingly long crawl to get there. Bond doesn’t and shouldn't have to compete with these new school big boys and irrespective of what we think the producers and studio execs seem to think otherwise unfortunately. SF making a billion was a fluke imo where everything became aligned perfectly but tge producers were overwhelmingly misguided to think that they could repeat such success and even moreso to think such numbers could be achieved regularly with each subsequent outing; it didn't and won't happen. Bond movies shouldn't be costing more than 200 million and they should be aiming for more realistic and achievable returns i.e. circa 700million. Anything more should be a bonus.

They do have to compete if there going to film 250 million dollar scripts.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    They needn't compete if they lower the budget. There's no sense in them requiring $200 million to make a solid Bond adventure. Dial it way back and focus more on the spy/thriller elements, while going about having a bit less (but much more creative, unique, and entertaining) action.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that cost control will be critical going forward. I think everyone got a little ahead of themselves after SF's mammoth success (it happens). "Discipline 007.......discipline".

They should be shooting for about $200 to $250m domestic gross, which would equate to the general trend line for Bond films stateside, accounting for ticket price inflation.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree that cost control will be critical going forward. I think everyone got a little ahead of themselves after SF's mammoth success (it happens). "Discipline 007.......discipline".

They should be shooting for about $200 to $250m domestic gross, which would equate to the general trend line for Bond films stateside, accounting for ticket price inflation.

Agreed. Script cost around 150 million... they can film just as great and visually stunning film with 150 as they can with 250m.

Lower budget doesn't mean low rent like LTK. And LTK fans I mean low rent in terms of certain casting, special effects, production design, cinematography, and maybe sound.

Quite frankly if the Rome car chase scene did indeed reportedly cost as much as the entire UNCLE movie then something is seriously wrong
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    kultschar wrote: »
    Quite frankly if the Rome car chase scene did indeed reportedly cost as much as the entire UNCLE movie then something is seriously wrong

Indeed, I cant for the life of me work out how they wrecked £24 million of cars. Its such a mundane chase. Given Bond has just crashed their meeting Hinx should be out for blood and trying to ram Bond off the road. All he does is tailgate him a little.
    Well the run of SP at the BO seems to be carrying on, but the sums now are so small, that the entire Mon-Thurs take was only $389 from 14 theatre's. Its literally down to one person a day viewing SP at each location.
    What really is strange is that only a handful of days ago i.e last Sat SP took $21,198 alone.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Well the run of SP at the BO seems to be carrying on, but the sums now are so small, that the entire Mon-Thurs take was only $389 from 14 theatre's. Its literally down to one person a day viewing SP at each location.
    What really is strange is that only a handful of days ago i.e last Sat SP took $21,198 alone.

If that were the case, then I feel bad for anyone spending $28 per ticket to see this when it's $10 on DVD and maybe $12.99 on sale on blu-ray.
    announced today, SPECTRE was the third most watched film of 2015 in Europe, with 38 million tickets http://deadline.com/2016/05/european-box-office-2015-record-hollywood-star-wars-force-awakens-1201748862/
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Finally official proof.
    Only TFA and Minions did better.
    Spectre was and is universally (sans the US) loved and a huge success for EON.
    nikos78 wrote: »
    announced today, SPECTRE was the third most watched film of 2015 in Europe, with 38 million tickets http://deadline.com/2016/05/european-box-office-2015-record-hollywood-star-wars-force-awakens-1201748862/

...impressive but behind Minions. There's no accounting for taste.

It's official!! Hollywood has officially dumb downed Europe :)

Does that include UK or not? If not, you're next. >:)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Crack open the bubbly! \:D/
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I had to watch Minions 5 times!! I have a 6 year old daughter.
    Still Spectre destroyed even TFA in Switzerland with over one million tickets sold (TFA under 700.000 came second).
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I had to watch Minions 5 times!! I have a 6 year old daughter.
    Still Spectre destroyed even TFA in Switzerland with over one million tickets sold (TFA under 700.000 came second).

My condolences. I had to watch just once with mine.

I also got to watch SP with mine too which was a fun thing.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Finally official proof.

Not sure how ticket sales are proof that it's 'universally loved'?

1. The word 'universally' does not mean 'just in Europe'.

2. Unless you've interviewed every single person leaving the cinema how do you know how many of those coming out weren't disappointed or said 'Meh. SF was better'?

BvS has made about as much as SP - is that universally loved?

The Wicker Man barely made its BFH* so presume that means it is despised right?

*Bullseye reference there for those of you from the 80s.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Finally official proof.

2. Unless you've interviewed every single person leaving the cinema how do you know how many of those coming out weren't disappointed or said 'Meh. SF was better'?

The difference is they can't make a new Batman V Superman film in 2018. This one film was supposed to catch DC up with Marvel in terms of popularity, so it kind of failed.

EON can just bring out Bond 25 in 2018/19 and no one will think anything of it.
    Finally official proof.

If SP would not have been liked/loved in general it would never had this kind of tickets sales. Not sure what you are trying to say. Are you mad that SP was such a success just because you didn't like it that much or find it mediocre or whatever?

The comparison to BvS is..well..strange.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Seems like some have double standards here, and are cherrypicking anything to back up their own view.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think for a film to be universally loved, perhaps it needs to have unanimous or near unanimous positive reviews (by critics and by fans).

I also think it needs to do well in the largest box office market. A 35% decline in revenues (not accounting for ticket price inflation) is a somewhat unheard of reduction. That's how SP performed relative to SF in US/Canada.

Furthermore, I think perhaps it would need to surpass its predecessor in most markets (like SF did to QoS) and not just match it.

The opening weekend to final tally also must be looked at, because that would be an indication of 'legs'. We knew SP would do well enough because it followed SF. The key is how did the box office hold up over several weeks. Was it front loaded in most markets, or did it hold nicely over multiple weeks?
    I think for a film to be universally loved, perhaps it needs to have unanimous or near unanimous positive reviews (by critics and by fans).

I also think it needs to do well in the largest box office market. A 35% decline in revenues (not accounting for ticket price inflation) is a somewhat unheard of reduction. That's how SP performed relative to SF in US/Canada.

Furthermore, I think perhaps it would need to surpass its predecessor in most markets (like SF did to QoS) and not just match it.

The opening weekend to final tally also must be looked at, because that would be an indication of 'legs'. We knew SP would do well enough because it followed SF. The key is how did the box office hold up over several weeks. Was it front loaded in most markets, or did it hold nicely over multiple weeks?

That may all be.
    In my opinion if SP hadn't been well received it would not have had this kind of ticket sales, and that's the only way to measure the success of a movie really.
    BO was hurt very much by foreign exchange situations, something most people even don't realise.
    Of course you can look at it from any perspective and SF was more successful than SP.
    But not that much as people might think, and in many important markets SP was only less successful by a hair.

It's just that I find it strange how some people here try to convince themselves and/or others that SP wasn't a success.
    If there is any Craig Bond that could maybe be called not that successful it would be QOS but even that was only slightly less successful than CR, and of course GE to QOS all had approximately the same range of ticket sales, so none of those 6 can really be called unsuccessful.
    SF rocketed the franchise to new levels. SP made sure the franchise stays there.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883

That may all be.
    In my opinion if SP hadn't been well received it would not have had this kind of ticket sales, and that's the only way to measure the success of a movie really.
    BO was hurt very much by foreign exchange situations, something most people even don't realise.
    Of course you can look at it from any perspective and SF was more successful than SP.
    But not that much as people might think, and in many important markets SP was only less successful by a hair.

It's just that I find it strange how some people here try to convince themselves and/or others that SP wasn't a success.
    If there is any Craig Bond that could maybe be called not that successful it would be QOS but even that was only slightly less successful than CR, and of course GE to QOS all had approximately the same range of ticket sales, so none of those 6 can really be called unsuccessful.
    SF rocketed the franchise to new levels. SP made sure the franchise stays there.
    Yes, but not in the most important US market. I realize some discount the US, but from a 'media' perspective they are still critical, as they are from a profitability standpoint. Moreover, all studios bidding for the Bond business are housed there except for Sony. So I think US success is important, and a 35% decline (again, this is before ticket price inflation is considered, so it was even worse on that count) is something one needs to look at seriously.

The reviews are also more important than the box office when considering universal success (otherwise as some including myself have said BvS is a success because it decimated MoS everywhere at the box office). The same goes for classics (cough) like DAD which were also very successful commercially.
    Finally official proof.

If you take a trip to the Wicker Man, you know it's a one way trip, so no BFH required
    'Transformers: Age of Extinction' made $1.1 billion and received awful reviews. If ticket sales were indicative of how well received a movie is, then this movie is a stellar hit, and again, 'Avatar' is the greatest film of all time, slightly beating out 'Titanic.'
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Transformers: Age of Extinction' made $1.1 billion and received awful reviews. If ticket sales were indicative of how well received a movie is, then this movie is a stellar hit, and again, 'Avatar' is the greatest film of all time, slightly beating out 'Titanic.'

And they are, are they not.
    Avatar, no matter how awful you and I might think it is, was HUGELY popular and still is.
    Titanic is one of the most beloved movies of all time.
    I never had the impression that Transformers wasn't loved. Didn't Mark Wahlberg even make this franchise more popular than it already is?

The time factor of course can change how a movie is looked upon.
    The Bond franchise is the best example for that I think.

SP may be viewed as another DAD in 15 years or another TSWLM, we'll see.