Ladies Man vs Action Man ?

SzonanaSzonana Mexico
in Actors Posts: 1,130
Which side Bond do you find more important for Bond actor to Nail?

The Ladies man Bond or the spy action, assasian?

Sure the best way is a balance which Daniel Craig, Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery have managed but still Sean and Pierce leaned more twoards the Ladies man side while Craig a bitt more to the action assasin spy.

But my answer is a being a great Ladies man, any other movie spy or action hero is an assasian but only Bond stands out as a playboy Ladies man its one of his most unique aspects of the character.

Comments

• Well, the action bit was nailed by stuntmen during the Moore era. You can't really have stuntmen or CGI compensating for your lack of charm.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    If you can't nail being a ladies man, then you're not Bond. It's really that simple. There's countless action heroes, but only one Bond.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    So i guess i have two votes for being more important to Nail the ladies man aspect.
    Thanks for your opinions and being the first two which my thread go up.

Every post is important but the first two are the ones which give attention to your thread.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Definitly the ladies man aspect, without that he would not be Bond to me.
    But there is more to it, Bond needs to have a certain kind of easiness to him, which is strange considering his employment and work routine. I always said that Bond is straight up suicidal, but he want's to die for something meaningful, and until that doesn't happen he just squeezes as much life out of every moment he can get (women, cars, food, hotels etc). He has zero long term plan for his life or career, probably mostly because he knows he is living on borrowed time (short life expectancy) In that sense he is similar to many soldiers.
    A lot of the stuff he is doing, he is really in it for the fun, the adrenalin kick.

Dalton does't work so well for me as Bond because he simply seems way too tense and obsessed with the mission, you never get the feeling this guy would love to take a break (TLD is a bit better than LTK, but i still enjoy his movies for what they are)
    Craig is 50/50, he can be tense and light, i guess you could say he is more of an all rounded character, which is pretty good.

Brosnan is my go to Bond because he nailed it. With Moore it was just fun and never any danger, he walked through his movies as if he was immortal and he knew it.
  • 00Agent wrote: »
    Definitly the ladies man aspect, without that he would not be Bond to me.
    But there is more to it, Bond needs to have a certain kind of easiness to him, which is strange considering his employment and work routine. I always said that Bond is straight up suicidal, but he want's to die for something meaningful, and until that doesn't happen he just squeezes as much life out of every moment he can get (women, cars, food, hotels etc). He has zero long term plan for his life or career, probably mostly because he knows he is living on borrowed time (short life expectancy) In that sense he is similar to many soldiers.
    A lot of the stuff he is doing, he is really in it for the fun, the adrenalin kick.

Dalton does't work so well for me as Bond because he simply seems way too tense and obsessed with the mission, you never get the feeling this guy would love to take a break (TLD is a bit better than LTK, but i still enjoy his movies for what they are)
    Craig is 50/50, he can be tense and light, i guess you could say he is more of an all rounded character, which is pretty good.

Brosnan is my go to Bond because he nailed it. With Moore it was just fun and never any danger, he walked through his movies as if he was immortal and he knew it.

Respectfully, I have to disagree about Dalton being too obsessed with the mission. His romance was just more mature that's all, and less playboy. Technically, that goes against the traditional definition of a ladies man but it has more appeal with me actually.

Anyway, my vote is for ladies man, because isn't every other hero an action man? @Szonana you might find this poll to be a little one-sided...

Respectfully, I have to disagree about Dalton being too obsessed with the mission. His romance was just more mature that's all, and less playboy. Technically, that goes against the traditional definition of a ladies man but it has more appeal with me actually.

I guess you are right, they were definitly trying to make Bond more mature and romantic by that time, maybe just as a total counterreaction to Moore as well (which TLD was from start to finish anyways)
    But in the process they made Bond maybe a bit too different, not that i have too much of a problem with that since i can enjoy different takes on the character

But if you look at the two most serious love stories in the Bond franchise, OHMSS and CR, Bond was a total playboy, no holds barred, who banged everything that couldn't run away from him fast enough. So thats why Dalton to me isn't convincing in that area.

And Brosnans portrayal was proof that even the People behind Bond realized that it was a mistake to make Daltons Bond too mature.
    Brosnan once said himself that "Bond needs to be a sexist, in order to have some edge."
  • 00Agent wrote: »

I guess you are right, they were definitly trying to make Bond more mature and romantic by that time, maybe just as a total counterreaction to Moore as well (which TLD was from start to finish anyways)
    But in the process they made Bond maybe a bit too different, not that i have too much of a problem with that since i can enjoy different takes on the character

But if you look at the two most serious love stories in the Bond franchise, OHMSS and CR, Bond was a total playboy, no holds barred, who banged everything that couldn't run away from him fast enough. So thats why Dalton to me isn't convincing in that area.

And Brosnans portrayal was proof that even the People behind Bond realized that it was a mistake to make Daltons Bond too mature.
    Brosnan once said himself that "Bond needs to be a sexist, in order to have some edge."

Oh OK. Yes I suppose on the larger scale you are right, but I do appreciate the maturity of the Bond-Kara relationship at least as a one-off.

Oh OK. Yes I suppose on the larger scale you are right, but I do appreciate the maturity of the Bond-Kara relationship at least as a one-off.

It had it's moments, definitly. Even the final scene in LTK was very romantic and very much on purpose. I can enjoy that as a movie goer and i like TLD and LTK very much for different reasons.

Actually TLD is one of my favorite Bond movies, while LTK is just one of my favorite movies in the franchise if that makes sense :D

I would just not want to return to that version :)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,130
    00Agent wrote: »

It had it's moments, definitly. Even the final scene in LTK was very romantic and very much on purpose. I can enjoy that as a movie goer and i like TLD and LTK very much for different reasons.

Actually TLD is one of my favorite Bond movies, while LTK is just one of my favorite movies in the franchise if that makes sense :D

So maybe we should blame the producers that Dalton Bond wasn't the playboy the previous Bond actors were.

But on the other hand Dalton looks much more like a romantic guy than a womanizer. He is very handsome and i bet every girl could fall for him. probably I would have believed him as a playboy womanizer if he would haven been shown sleeping with every girl in his way.

But no, at the end Dalton doesn’t look like a ladies man.

Szonana wrote: »

So maybe we should blame the producers that Dalton Bond wasn't the playboy the Bond actors were and the Aids problem got in their way.

But on the other hand Dalton looks much more like a romantic guy than a womanizer. He is very handsome and i bet every girl could fall for him. probably I would have believed him as a playboy womanizer if he would haven been shown sleeping woth girl in his way.

Yeah maybe, i guess it was a different time. Dalton had some really cool moments in TLD, i think if they wanted to make him more of a playboy they could have easily done that. New Bonds are often a counter reaction to their predecessors. Moore was such a parody and over the top that they felt they needed to ground everything in reality for TLD and i do love that movie for that reason, but the romantic stuff doesn't work so well, especially in the context of the whole franchise. but it is fine as a one off, sure. i do appreciate them trying new stuff, and a more modern approach from time to time.

in LTK Dalton was not much of a Bond at all. He was just pissed and brooding the whole time, LTK was basically his Quantum.

Then came Brosnan who was a total counter reaction to Dalton again since his movies were seen as box office failures at that time.
    They turned the nasty Bond habits back up and gave us the 'sexist misogynist dinosaur' we all love :)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,130

So maybe we should blame the producers that Dalton Bond wasn't the playboy the Bond actors were and the Aids problem got in their way.

But on the other hand Dalton looks much more like a romantic guy than a womanizer. He is very handsome and i bet every girl could fall for him. probably I would have believed him as a playboy womanizer if he would haven been shown sleeping woth girl in his way.

Yeah maybe, i guess it was a different time. Dalton had some really cool moments in TLD, i think if they wanted to make him more of a playboy they could have easily done that. New Bonds are often a counter reaction to their predecessors. Moore was such a parody and over the top that they felt they needed to ground everything in reality for TLD and i do love that movie for that reason, but the romantic stuff doesn't work so well, especially in the context of the whole franchise. but it is fine as a one off, sure. i do appreciate them trying new stuff, and a more modern approach from time to time.

in LTK Dalton was not much of a Bond at all. He was just pissed and brooding the whole time, LTK was basically his Quantum.

Then came Brosnan who was a total counter reaction to Dalton again since his movies were seen as box office failures at that time.
    They turned the nasty Bond habits back up and gave us the 'sexist misogynist dinosaur' we all love :)

You are right how the next Bond is the oppsite of his predecessor and its a great thing to keep this franchise fresh.

I think Dalton was fine with Kara their chemistry was very nice very belivable and I also liked the chemistry between Dalton and Cary Lowell in Licence to kill.
    So that proves he can be good with the ladies and get belivable relationships with The Bond girls its just that the films took a different focus.

Like you These two films were much more focused on the mission and that didn't give them much time to show the Womanizer Bond

• edited March 2016 Posts: 1,817

Yes Dalton was pretty unlikable in LTK. I suppose that is the idea but I might rank LTK higher than 12 if not for that.

Oh yes, and thank goodness for the return of the sexist misogynist dinosaur.