'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    106 episodes to go! I live in hope that they're all out there and one day may be found. Great news indeed, this. :D
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    106 episodes to go! I like in hope that they're all out there and one may be found. Great news indeed, this. :D

I know, it's amazing - 106 missing episodes!
    In the 60s Dr Who ran for about 45 weeks a years so 106 episodes is still less than half of the total made, so we should be grateful that so many somehow escaped the chop.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,856
    DELAYED BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Karen Gillan (Amy Pond) & Arthur Darvill (Rory Williams) will be leaving the show permanently(ish) during next years series. Moffat has confirmed that the will be re-taking there roles as companions but it will come to a "heart breaking end", how ever what this means won't be revealed.

Doctor Who, Matt Smith (Who is at least staying on for 13 months) talked about the loss of his first two companions.

<blockquote>"Yes, absolutely…and Arthur. We’ve had the most incredible journey and we took over the show and we really had to sort of hold hands and help each other through it in many ways. So, yeah, it’s very disappointing. But, you know, one has to sort of remember that this show is about change and regeneration and that’s what galvanises it and pushes it forward and it’s about looking forward always"</blockquote>

However Moffat did confirm that The Doctor will not be traveling alone for long with a new companion lined up for joining the TARDIS soon after Gillan and Darvill's Departure.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I look forward to see who's joining the Doctor next. The Ponds have been great but it's time to move on I think. A good call by Moffat.

Still can't believe we've got what is really one series over two years. X(
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'll be sad to see the Ponds leave, but as Sam said about, I am also looking foward to seeing who the next companion(s) will be. But please, for the love of god, don't cast James Corden. He's has two appearances in the show, and that's two too many. That guy really grinds my gears. Where's Room 101 when you need it?
    James Corden was fun at first and the second time could be called a good send off for his character, but I'd rather he was left alone now. You can have too much of a 'good' thing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Classic Who DVD releases that will be kicking off early 2012:

The Sensorites (Doctor #1 - 23/01/2012)

U.N.I.T Files:
    Invasion Of The Dinosaurs / The Android Invasion
    (Doctors #3 & #4 - 09/01/2012)

The Face Of Evil (Doctor #4 - 05/03/2012)

The Daemons (Doctor #3 - 26/03/2012)

Revisitations 3:
    Tomb Of The Cybermen: Special Edition / The Three Doctors: Special Edition & The Robots Of Death: Special Edition
    (Doctors #2, #3 & #4 - 13/02/2012)
    As everything should be out by the end of 2013, hopefully complete collections of each of the Doctor's shall be released. If so, I'll start collecting them.
    That could be tricky with the Hartnell & Troughton stories. I'n not that keen on Hartnell, but I really want some more Troughton stories.

And when is the next McCoy story coming? I'd like it The Greatest Show In The Galaxy next, but so long as we get at least one in 2012, i'll be happy.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited December 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Hmm, The Robots Of Death and The Daemons, eh? Quite the classics that pair... :)
  • What is everyone's consensus on David Tennant in general? I thought he was a great doctor, but Russell T and Steve seems to always write tragically for him. Granted, he did well in those scenes, but man can we actually get a story with a happy ending?

Oh, and Matt Smith is just...weird.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!

As is The Doctor, which to my mind is one of the reasons why he's so good in the role. ;)

Certainly liked Tennant's incarnation, but he did have a somewhat irritating quality for me. Still, he was good and the majority of his stories (like most of those of NuWho) were pretty darn good. Think he rates about fourth on my Doctor list... :)
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,882
    I was never keen on Tennant, he's one of my least favourite Doctors. As for Smith, despite early reservations when he was announced, he's gone on to be one of my favourite Doctors. Series 5 had some great stories (The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below, Victory Of The Daleks & Vampires In Venice) I do hope Smith stays in the role for a while, I believe he wants to stay until at least 2013.

1) McCoy
    2) Troughton
    3) Smith
    4) C.Baker
    I was never keen on Tennant, he's one of my least favourite Doctors. As for Smith, despite early reservations when he was announced, he's gone on to be one of my favourite Doctors. Series 5 had some great stories (The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below, Victory Of The Daleks & Vampires In Venice) I do hope Smith stays in the role for a while, I believe he wants to stay until at least 2013.

1) McCoy
    2) Troughton
    3) Smith
    4) C.Baker

I think he definitely will stay until 2013, won't he? Because I believe the next series will effectively be split in two across the autumns of 2012 and 2013 - coming to a climax in time for the 50th anniversary. We'll find out, I guess.

Oh, and for what it's worth, here's my rankings... :p

11. Six (Colin Baker)
    10. Seven (Sylvester McCoy)
    9. One (William Hartnell)
    8. Two (Patrick Troughton)
    7. Nine (Christopher Eccleston)
    6. Eight (Paul McGann)
    5. Five (Peter Davison)
    4. Ten (David Tennant)
    3. Three (Jon Pertwee)
    =1. Eleven (Matt Smith)
    =1. Four (Tom Baker)
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Well now, I just can't pass up the chance to post my full ranking.

1. McCoy
    2. Troughton
    3. Smith
    4. C.Baker
    5. Pertwee
    6. Hartnell
    7. McGann
    8. T.Baker
    9. Davison
    10. Tennant
    11. Eccleston
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I look forward to see who's joining the Doctor next. The Ponds have been great but it's time to move on I think. A good call by Moffat.

Actually it looks like 2 series over 18 months. The BBC moved series 6 to autum so that it could have more episodes In the fiftieth year.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,492
    What is everyone's consensus on David Tennant in general? I

i think Tennant vies with Davison as my least favourite Doctor. He was miscast from the start. This emotional emo Doctor with the gravitas of a piece of Candy floss. While at the same time because the actor wasnt eccentric it had to be played which meant a succession of facial gurning, teeth flashing, rolling eyes, silly phrases and jumping around. At times he was embarassing.

And Smith weird? Surely thats the point of the character?

My rankings for the Doctors

1. Tom Baker
    2. Jon Pertwee
    3. Bill Hartnell
    4. Matt Smith
    5. Patrick Troughton
    6. Chris Ecclestone
    7 Colin Baker
    8. Sylvester McCoy
    9. Paul McCann (though I largely forget him)
    10, Peter Davison
    11. David Tennant
    Thank God the Pond's are sodding off !!

1)Pertwee
    2)Tom Baker
    3)Tennant
    4)Smith
    5)Troughton
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Good to see @MajorDSmythe giving Colin Baker a high ranking. He had a difficult start and was treated shabbily by the Beeb, but towards the end as he developed his Doctor he really was pretty good.

My ranking

1. Patrick Troughton
    2. Matt Smith
    3. David Tennant
    4. Colin Baker
    5. Tom Baker
    6. Jon Pertweee
    7. William Hartnell
    8. Peter Davison
    9. Christopher Eccleston
    10. Sylvester McCoy
    11. Paul McGann (he would have been a good Dr had he been developed over a proper series)
    NicNac wrote:
    Good to see @MajorDSmythe giving Colin Baker a high ranking. He had a difficult start and was treated shabbily by the Beeb, but towards the end as he developed his Doctor he really was pretty good.

Oh yes, I do like The 6th Doctor, I think Baker got a right royal shafting off the BBC. I watched The Twin Dilemma again recently, that was a brave move to make the Doctor unstable. I would like to say that I wish he'd stayed in the role longer (and there's a part of me that does wish that), but at the end of the day, his departure meant that my favourite era of wWo could begin.
    Now you made me do it as well:

1. Tom Baker
    2. Jon Pertwee
    3. David Tennant / Peter Davison
    5. Matt Smith / Colin Baker
    7. Sylvester McCoy /Christopher Eccleston
    9. Paul McGann
    10. William Hartnell
    11. Patrick Troughton

I am such an Tom Baker addict in Who sense, I only knew him for a long time to be the Doctor untill by accident came across Davison which did do well in my book. It wasn't untill later that I figured out that there had been a lot more Doctors. If McGann had done a series he undoubtely would have been much higher on my list as I find his Doctor brilliant.

His performances made me discover Big Finish where I obtained most McGann tales and they are excellent. But there Colin Baker & McCoy have been handled very well too. It almost brings Colin Baker close to brilliance as the Doctor he was never allowed to develop in the tv series.

I have recently watched some Tennant reruns on the BBC's and they are very good and very accesable when comparing to the good Matt Smith. I hope that we get some uncomplicated tales from SM over the next two series. First up within a week The Christmas special.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Virage wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Actually it looks like 2 series over 18 months. The BBC moved series 6 to autum so that it could have more episodes In the fiftieth year.

There's no indication, yet, that more than 14 episodes will be produced between now and 2013. Even the '50th anniversary special' is being touted as being one of these episodes.
    Just found out that Pierce Brosnan was linked to the Doctor Who Part back in the early 90's, and wat before Chris Ecclestone took the part. Bond history could have been so different! At least Tim Dalton got to represent the Bondiverse in the Chrimbo specials 2 or 3 years back! He was as awesome as ever.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Just found out that Pierce Brosnan was linked to the Doctor Who Part back in the early 90's, r.

Really? As a fan of both genres I find that hard to believe. Pierce was doing Hollywood films and was doing well (Mrs Doubtfire). I doubt he would have changed that for doing a budget BBC Sci-Fi. Whos reputation after the cancellation wasnt great.

16 years were needed for people to forget the last few years and to wipe the slate clean...

• As a relatively new Doctor Who fan (I just started watching the NuWho series and they're fantastic!), any particular forums that's as good as this one for Doctor Who? As in the Mi6 for James Bond?
    Gallifrey Base is the obvious one. Its actually very good and proffessional.
    I've never been to Gallifrey Base. But http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/ is one that I would recommend.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Picked up two more BF Audios for my 7th Doctor collection...

51tGsk0pvzL._SS500_.jpg
    61kKwKJ3C5L._SS500_.jpg

I'm listening to The Doomsday Quatrain right now.
    Colin Baker really shines in the Audiobooks if he didnt get reamed (to put it nicely) by big boy in charged that hated the show, he would have been an even more awesome doctor...the audio books are how CB wanted to play him in a leather jacket!!!
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Matt Smith and Karen Gillan have won at the National Television Awards in the Male and Female Outstanding Drama Performance categories respectively. No such luck for Doctor Who though, it was beaten by Downton Abbey. Two out of three isn't so bad mind and is much better than last year!