The What's That Movie thread

edited January 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 163
I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread like this. But if there is, moderators feel free to close this and point me in the right direction. So the purpose of this thread is to help members find films that they don't know the title of by posting info about them.

For example right now I'm trying to find a French comedy about a paid assassin who's on a job. But each time he prepares to take his shot, he is interrupted by a man in the hotel room next door who wants to kill himself over being dumped by his fiance. Anyone have any idea ? The assassin looks kinda like a French Kevin Spacey if I remember him well.

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    According to IMDB:

A Pain in the Ass (2008)
    "L'emmerdeur" (original title)

Synopsis:

"An unlikely friendship develops between a hitman and a suicidal guy who have both checked into the same hotel for different reasons."

There's also the 1973 original version which stars Lino Ventura.

"Ralf Milan, a hitman, arrives in Montpellier to kill an important witness. He checks in a hotel without knowing that his neighbour has become neurotic after his wife left him."

lino-ventura.jpg

Would that be it?
  • @PropertyOfALady Yes, thank you. I googled the hell out of it and couldn't find anything. Hope this thread will help others as well.
    Yes, what a great idea for a thread. I once had a movie that included a scene where a woman was walking down a giant staircase and singing. I asked a ton of people what the heck it was but no one knew. Wish I had this thread then. The movie is the comedy "Weekend at Bernie's"!

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I can't seem to remember the name of film where the lead is a chap in a rather splendid suit, who takes out an antiquated luxury car (laden with gadgets and gizmos no less) for a spin around the Swiss Alps. Some other scenes I remember include a woman lathered in gold paint, sprawled across a bed, the aforementioned man who came so close to being castrated by a laser beam and a dastardly fellow who launchs his bowler hat which beheads a statue.

Any ideas?
    I think you may be thinking of an Austin Powers movie, but I'm not sure.
    Let's be serious here. For years, I'm trying to find the title of a series of shorts I saw in the french movie theater in Berlin way back when. From what I remember, the series was british, and featured a police detective who was assisted by a dog, a german shepherd to be precise. The two shorts I saw were in black and white, and were probably filmed sometimes during the fifties, or more probably the sixties. And no, it was neither Rintintin or Kommissar Rex, neither of which are british. Anyone ?
    Do you remember anything else, plotwise?
    In one of the shorts, the victim's dog was brought to the station and became pal with the inspector's dog. Both barked at the murderer when he came in.

As I said, it was 39 years ago, give or take a few months, and at that time, I didn't pay puch attention to the credits.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Ok, never thought I have to use a thread like this. I'm obviously getting old :((

Doing a Hitchcock-athon I suddenly remember parts of a movie but seem to be unable to recall what movie it is.

It's black & white, it's suspenseful, possibly 40's or 50's. I thought it's a Hitchcock movie, maybe it is, but it's not Suspicion, Rebecca, Spellbound...

It features a woman that is "imprisoned" in a (big?) mansion that is located on a cliff, I remember the house is built right at the edge of the cliff. Below is the unfriendly sea.
    I think at the end the woman gets "rescued"
    and the man and she drive away, although not sure about the driving away as I could mistake this for the ending of Suspicion. I also thought it was a Cary Grant movie, but that is probably wrong.

The whole thing drives me mad since days. Usually I don't forget anything concerning movies and music...

Help! :((

Thank you in advance :)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Aside form the driving away, it could be the '40s adaptation of JANE EYRE. Are you sure that it's not REBECCA?

Wyler's WUTHERING HEIGHTS (again, no car)?

Thank you for that quick reply.

Your suggestions make sense. Jane Eyre features Joan Fontaine and Wuthering Heights Laurence Olivier, hence my feeling that it has something to do with Hitchcock.
    It could be I'm mixing images from different movies.
    I don't remember Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights which is a scandal really.
    I have some serious catching up to do on some classic movies.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Notorious, maybe?
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Notorious, maybe?

Can it be that simple?
    Now I feel silly. If Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman are driving away from a mansion at the end of the movie, then that's it! Have seen it last 15 years ago.
    I remember Bergman being held against her will by her husband.

Thanks for helping out :) I'm going to watch it tomorrow, after all I own it on Blu-ray imagine that.
    The pile of unseen Blu-rays I own is one meter high 8-|
    @Birdleson

That Jane Eyre trailer is amazing. Not sure I have seen the move at all. And I just ordered the DVD on amazon.
    I must say I'm becoming a big fan of Joan Fontaine, watched Suspicion earlier today and had watched Rebecca the other day.
    She is stunningly beautiful and her acting is brilliant. So glad she won the Oscar for Suspicion.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    She died last year. I believe that leaves her sister, Olivia De Havilland (they did not speak for the past four decades or so), as the only remaining living Golden Age star of Hollywood (Joan, Mickey Rooney, Shirley Temple, Maureen O'Hara, Lauren Bacall and Luise Rainer all died over the past three years). Kirk Douglas is still alive, but he really started his career on the cusp of that Golden Age, so I don't count him. Angela Lansbury is alive, but she was more of a supporting player until the '70s, so I really don't count her either.

I don't know what qualifies for Golden Age, but wouldn't Doris Day also be one of that era?

By the way Doris Day is one of the actresses I own every movie of, some of them on Blu-ray now.
    The others would be Audrey Hepburn, Marylin Monroe, Julie Andrews, Barbra Streisand.

Angela Lansbury is a favourite of mine, I don't own all of her movies though.
    I must have seen Bedknobs And Broomsticks 100 times as a kid. The German version is much shorter and edited differently. Imagine my delight when I discovered the full version.
    Those movies will never get old. My daughter has seen Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and (translated) "The daredevil witch in her flying bed" countless times already, yes, that is the bloody German title of Bedknobs :))
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Notorious, maybe?

Can it be that simple?
    Now I feel silly. If Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman are driving away from a mansion at the end of the movie, then that's it! Have seen it last 15 years ago.
    I remember Bergman being held against her will by her husband.

Thanks for helping out :) I'm going to watch it tomorrow, after all I own it on Blu-ray imagine that.
    The pile of unseen Blu-rays I own is one meter high 8-|
    You're welcome. It's always a pleasure to find Hitchcock... again. I have a good pile waiting for me too
    X_X :D
    Bringing back this thread. I have two movies I can't remember the names of

One of them is type Ocean's 11. It's about this group of people that are robbing an European luxury resort (?) It looked a little like Lake Como, although the movie might be in French. Two of the thieves (perhaps the leaders of the team) are husband and wife and they also have a kid they bring along and he's a mischievous character, already learning con tricks.

The second one is an old film set during World War 2. The male character from what I recall has a Cary Grant / Gregory Peck kinda look and he is a journalist, a war corespondent or something. Him and this other American woman are trapped in Berlin or in Paris and they make plans to escape, involving fake passports. They then get romantically involved.

One of them is type Ocean's 11. It's about this group of people that are robbing an European luxury resort (?) It looked a little like Lake Como, although the movie might be in French. Two of the thieves (perhaps the leaders of the team) are husband and wife and they also have a kid they bring along and he's a mischievous character, already learning con tricks.

The second one is an old film set during World War 2. The male character from what I recall has a Cary Grant / Gregory Peck kinda look and he is a journalist, a war corespondent or something. Him and this other American woman are trapped in Berlin or in Paris and they make plans to escape, involving fake passports. They then get romantically involved.

That second one seems very similar to a film plot I read a few months back. Unfortunately I can't remember the title or any of the actors. In what decade do you think it was made?

That second one seems very similar to a film plot I read a few months back. Unfortunately I can't remember the title or any of the actors. In what decade do you think it was made?

The 40's or the early 50's
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241

The 40's or the early 50's

The film I thought of might have been an early to mid-50's film, although it could have been older, too. Tried to find out what the movie was called after reading your post, but haven't managed to find it.

Any other details you remember?