Lost but now found! The Unreleased Bond Music Thread!

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I got all the special edition soundtracks with the liner notes in the booklets and the expanded track lists (on some).

Does anybody know why LICENCE TO KILL never received such an edition. They stopped at TLD.
    I got all the special edition soundtracks with the liner notes in the booklets and the expanded track lists (on some).

Does anybody know why LICENCE TO KILL never received such an edition. They stopped at TLD.

In 2003 they expanded all the ones they could up to LALD. None of the others beyond that were expanded at all. FYEO, OP and TLD had been partially expanded earlier than that by the Ryko label.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd love it if La La Land records got a hold of Bond music distribution rights. They go above and beyond to find lost music and restore soundtracks to near completion.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,157
    Someone uploaded the love scene from SPECTRE, which includes a beautiful orchestral arrangement of Writing's on the Wall:
    Just purchased GE score, first time in years I have listened to it in isolation. Certainly have a greater appreciation of it, love the extended extended lol version of the title track.
    Just purchased GE score, first time in years I have listened to it in isolation. Certainly have a greater appreciation of it, love the extended extended lol version of the title track.

I'm glad you enjoyed it more. It's one of my favorites. I know it get's a lot of flack mainly all because of "Ladies First" but it's got way more good enjoyable tracks in it. :-bd
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Time has been kind to it for sure, it has its own identity and place in the pantheon. Recently rewatched GE and at that point I was changing my opinion on the score. It fits perfectly with the tone of the film with hindsight... 20 years of hindsight lol
    Time has been kind to it for sure, it has its own identity and place in the pantheon. Recently rewatched GE and at that point I was changing my opinion on the score. It fits perfectly with the tone of the film with hindsight.
    Yes Serra's contribution is a very unique and enjoyable novelty. It always fascinated me with the interesting. The GoldenEye overture is very special to me as it blew me away the first time I saw the film. It was just so weird and awesome. Years later I found out those techno sound effects used towards the end (The moment after "You can't win" in the movie.) are actually heavily filtered samples of Goldfinger's gunbarrel.
    Its a film I often highly regard, it has a subtle depth proceeding films lacked. Liked Serra's work on Leon which is an excellent film, which I think was before GE if I remember. One of the great things about Bond and as fans we are lucky to have so much Bond. Is that at different stages of our life when revisiting our opinions can change.
    Same here. It's my favorite Bond film and the first one I ever saw. And yes you are correct Leon came out in 1994. And yes that's what's fun about being Bond fans, our opinion's are almost always changing on something. :)
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Just treated myself to...
    Licence to Kill
    Thunderball
    The Man with the Golden Gun
    Dr No

All above digital downloads... I now have every Bond score on digital download. Disappointed in LTK as others have mentioned, its the same as the LP I bought in 1989 very lean in content. DN in isolation remastered is fantastic.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Reading "the music of james bond" at the moment. Fascinating read. I didn't know there was an initial "you only live twice" theme song by Julie Rogers which did not get used because the execs didn't think it would popular

w2bond wrote: »
    Reading "the music of james bond" at the moment. Fascinating read. I didn't know there was an initial "you only live twice" theme song by Julie Rogers which did not get used because the execs didn't think it would popular

Never come across that proposed track previoiusly, the vocal is not to my taste though the theme itself is decent. One of the better rejected Bond themes that I have heard, the vocal seems more suited to Matt Helm.

Have any of you ever located any sort of reasonable version of the music from the climax of Dr No? I mean the scene after Dr No has died and Bond is searching for Honey.
    The closest thing you'll get to that is in this cover suite.
    The arrangement of the Magnificent Seven Theme from Moonraker.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Murdock wrote: »
    The arrangement of the Magnificent Seven Theme from Moonraker.

MR was probably Barry's best orchestral score, where he started using a lot of strings. I love his compositions from 'GG up to TLD, with it's grand, sweeping themes.

Shame we'll never really get anything as well put together for future Bonds...
    Don't lose all hope @AceHole, while there aren't many left I think there are some good composers out there worthy of doing a Bond score. We just need someone who is happy to embrace work Barry and others have done and continue the job. Not be pretentious and not use any of the themes.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Arnold updated Barry's style and made it his own, with Tomorrow Never Dies being his best, why can't we have another score just like that?

Some would complain we'd hear the Bond Theme every five minutes, but if I watch a Bond film, I'd expect it to feel like Bond. And yes, I'd seek for variations of the theme "every five minutes".
    Arnold updated Barry's style and made it his own, with Tomorrow Never Dies being his best, why can't we have another score just like that?

Some would complain we'd hear the Bond Theme every five minutes, but if I watch a Bond film, I'd expect it to feel like Bond. And yes, I'd seek for variations of the theme "every five minutes".

I'm with you, I want more of that. People can whine and moan all they want. There cannot and will not ever be too much Bond theme to my ears. I'd rather have too much Bond theme over no Bond theme at all.

I'm with you, I want more of that. People can whine and moan all they want. There cannot and will not ever be too much Bond theme to my ears. I'd rather have too much Bond theme over no Bond theme at all.
    +1

Well said!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Why do I get the sense that it's really a matter of financial limitation, which they cover up by saying that the sparing use of the Bond theme makes it all the more satisfying when it does show up?
    I've been thinking that's the problem as well. I wonder how much Monty Norman asks for royalties these days.
    I don't see any sense in it, or light in the perspective a theory as a whole... :-??
  • Maybe if they take out one or two multi-million dollar explosions next time they could afford to use the James Bond theme. Just a suggestion for budget management.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Moonraker Gondola Chase 2 recreated by a fan;
    Already on page 1 but thanks for the post. Shame it will never happen but I wish Moonraker got a complete score. I'd even settle for a rerecording.
  • Moonraker is certainly one of the more Baron scores when it comes to content, I own all the digital albums now and the extended scores which were done are great DAF and LALD stand outs.
  • Absolutely, Moonraker is one of my most longed for expansions, alongside A View to a Kill, Licence to Kill, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough, and Die Another Day.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Already on page 1 but thanks for the post. Shame it will never happen but I wish Moonraker got a complete score. I'd even settle for a rerecording.

Ahh...missed it. My apologies.