Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

Woot woot congrats Sam!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »
    I like Silverman, but she was on poor form during the show; not funny, and I cringed many a time watching her.

I think Chris Rock was a pretty good host though and handled the pressure well, even if they all told way too many race related jokes for my taste. I was just thinking we get it, already, move along most of the time.

And yes, it's the big craze now during awards season to use your brief platform to rant or rave about an issue of your choice. Be fast though, because if another actor picks your topic, you've got to think on your feet and pick another one to be fresh and noteworthy. And believe me, you'll look like a ditz if, after other performers rob you of diversity in film, global warming and war overseas, you're stuck ranting about women being underpaid and underrepresented in the job market as you accept your award for "Best Actor in a Leading Role." Gotta love those famous people problems.

Agreed. Rock was good in a tough job. But the the writers for the show and the presenters and winners never quit with the lecturing. Listening to a bunch of multi millionaires relentlessly lecture us great unwashed slobs about what to think on an awards show gets really old.

Well, you CAN turn the channel or hit the mute button.

This is right XD In fact, I just listened the Oscars on the radio, with people commenting on the ceremony. In all countries all the ceremonies are the same: lecturing and MOAR lecturing.

BTW, I think we all agree Morricone deserved his golden boy?

Indeed. He should have received it for The Mission, in 1987.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Congrats to Sam Smith and EON. Always great to see another Oscar win for Bond.

Sarah Silverman on the other hand left a foul taste in my mouth. I though her intro to the song was unnecessary, unprofessional and downright disrespectful. Smith's performance of the song was wonderful, but there is a time and a place for such jokes comments, and the Oscars are not that place. And if you're a well known comedian, at least make an effort to be funny, at the very least say something that makes sense. Bond has given a lot to cinema over the years, it deserved better than this.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Congrats to Sam Smith and EON. Always great to see another Oscar win for Bond.

Sarah Silverman on the other hand left a foul taste in my mouth. I though her intro to the song was unnecessary, unprofessional and downright disrespectful. Smith's performance of the song was wonderful, but there is a time and a place for such jokes comments, and the Oscars are not that place. And if you're a well known comedian, at least make an effort to be funny, at the very least say something that makes sense. Bond has given a lot to cinema over the years, it deserved better than this.

Silverman is very hit and miss. When she's funny, she's very funny. When she's not, listening to her is awful.
  • The audience didn't seem to find Silverman very funny, either. I thought the only joke that landed with a bigger thud was when Stacy Dash was introduced.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    What is it with these hot women talking crap and pissing people off? Dash...Silverman...they were doing so well until they had to speak. I'd still smash though.
  • pjtpjt
    I really like Sam's music. Anybody else?

As far as I'm concerned, no, not really.
    As far as current day standards go, I enjoy his lyrical contributions and the ability he has to take his voice to all kinds of different levels.

Yet, he only used his falsetto. Correction, not only, only too much.

But congrats for the Oscar. Funny thing this Oscar, there's Son of Saul as best foreign film, and there's six Oscars for Mad Max. Looks the same, feels the same, but sure as hell, does not weigh as same. And I'm sorry, Sam Smith, this Oscar is on the Mad Max level.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    An Oscars' an Oscar. I know many other movies would kill for one ! ;)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A fitting end to a long, often painful journey for Mr. Smith.

The various statues will look good at his home. =D>
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    dandan wrote: »
    I'm not at all homophobic.
    But I'm simply not interested in knowing who a person likes to have sex with, or what kind of genitals they like on another person.
    It's a very private thing.
    Keep in private.

Ok, so you equate homosexuality only with sex?

Good going.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The homophobia in this thread is astounding. If you start a sentence with "I'm not homophobic/sexist/racist, but...," it's almost always followed up by something that absolutely is.
    :)) very true,
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,009
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The homophobia in this thread is astounding. If you start a sentence with "I'm not homophobic/sexist/racist, but...," it's almost always followed up by something that absolutely is.

While I personally hate the song and think that Sam Smith was wrong saying he's the first openly gay person to win an Oscar (there have been some more, the most famous being Elton John, who stepped out in the seventies thanks to his friend Long John Baldry - yes, geeks and nerds, the PINGAS/PINESS guy- the "butterfly" from the gorgeous Someone Saved My Life Tonight), you're quite right.

Speaking of which, when will Sir Ian McKellen be honored with his deserved golden statuette? Give him an Irving Thalberg award at least, from The Bard's sake!
  • RC7RC7
    I watched this earlier and I have to say I feel a bit sorry for the guy the way his words have been totally taken out of context. He didn't say he was the first openly gay man to win an Oscar, he stated that he'd read an article with McKellen in which Sir Ian had made the claim no openly gay man had won one. He went on to say he didn't know if that was true. But hey, it's 2016 and Clickbait is the opium of the masses.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I watched this earlier and I have to say I feel a bit sorry for the guy the way his words have been totally taken out of context. He didn't say he was the first openly gay man to win an Oscar, he stated that he'd read an article with McKellen in which Sir Ian had made the claim no openly gay man had won one. He went on to say he didn't know if that was true. But hey, it's 2016 and Clickbait is the opium of the masses.

It's the same with his "20 minutes" remark. The haters jumped on it like they now jump on the new statement and take it out of context.

Embarrassing, really. I wish they would just shut up and not hijack every thread that features WOTW with their nonsense.
    I wish I had the talent to write a #1 record and oscar winning song in 20 minutes. :D
    If you are talented, some songs take weeks or months others take twenty minutes.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,242

Not wanting to hear about a political issue during a movie award ceremony doesn't make you homophobic/racist/etc.; I see nothing hateful or discriminatory about that.
    Do tell me what was homophobic about what I said please?
    I'm curious to be enlightened.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited February 2016 Posts: 5,080

If you can't see it, then there really is no point in me explaining.

"Keep it private"? Bloody hell.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 11,119

Exactly. I am gay myself. I'm not asking straight people either to hide their sexuality. @DanDan needs to find the definition of 'sexuality'....which is something different than the definition of 'sex'.

I don't moan when straight couples are walking hand-in-hand and are kissing each other on the streets. But because I'm gay...I should keep my sexuality more private? Complete stupidity.

One more thing: I think the overwhelming majority of people on this forum are from 'classic Western nations'. But the Oscars are watched everywhere....it's a global event with global coverage.

So Sam Smith's words may fall on deaf ears in for example the USA, Netherlands or the UK. But that's different for some of the gay viewers who watched the show in Russia, Nigeria, Egypt, India, Indonesia or China. For gay people in those countries Sam Smith's words are a glimmer of hope.
    @Gustav_Graves

BRAVO, brilliant statement =D> ^:)^

Replace "almost" with "always" and you're 100% correct.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,015
    especially in a world where kids are still being disowned by family and friends for being gay, or worse, killed.
    Comparing Hollywood attitude towards gays with this is IMO missing the point. I think he has diminished his LGTB stance by somehow describing (falsely) his award as a victory against Hollywood. There had been openly gay winners before him, he was not breaking some taboo.

And given all that was said that night, it was even weirder.

On another topic, does anyone know if someone from EON was there ? It's said they are meeting studio these days, and they're not at the place to be ?
    Well said @Gustav_Graves =D>
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I agree. I have no problem with what he said at all (except the small point I would have preferred him to mention EON, even if briefly). But everything else was graciously done, perfectly fine to mention. I'm a bit surprised there is so very much discussion about that.

A Bond filming getting an Oscar in any category is to be celebrated, no matter how much we liked or disliked that song. Congratulations, for sure.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Congratulations to Sam. I didn't like the song at first but it has grown on me - not one of the all time best but solidly in the middle of the pack.

Not really sure why his speech is deemed particularly controversial - and at least it gave us a break from the interminable #oscarstoowhite tedium. Giving EON a mention would have been nice but the guy was clearly hyped and I'm sure most people who win Oscars forget to thank somebody.

With consecutive Oscars for best song and a film like Mad Max taking home a fistful it shows that more mainstream films can blag a few awards and if EON get their shit together for B25 there's no reason why it couldn't clean up in technical categories. Would be nice if they could come up with something that got Dan a best actor nom and the villain best supporting and with 10 best picture noms why not there too.

I realise a best script nom is probably pushing it a bit though. Least likely line at an Academy Awards ceremony: 'And the Oscar goes to Neil Purvis and Robert Wade.'
  • dandan wrote: »

Exactly. I am gay myself. I'm not asking straight people either to hide their sexuality. @DanDan needs to find the definition of 'sexuality'....which is something different than the definition of 'sex'.

I don't moan when straight couples are walking hand-in-hand and are kissing each other on the streets. But because I'm gay...I should keep my sexuality more private? Complete stupidity.

One more thing: I think the overwhelming majority of people on this forum are from 'classic Western nations'. But the Oscars are watched everywhere....it's a global event with global coverage.

So Sam Smith's words may fall on deaf ears in for example the USA, Netherlands or the UK. But that's different for some of the gay viewers who watched the show in Russia, Nigeria, Egypt, India, Indonesia or China. For gay people in those countries Sam Smith's words are a glimmer of hope.

Thank you.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,325
    I'm confused - I've only heard a snippet of Smith's acceptance, but what does winning his oscar have to do with him being gay? Wouldn't it be a bit weird if Adele had got up and said, 'thanks I'm really into men! thanks for awarding an oscar to a woman who likes men. I don't care what you think of my song, but that you gave an Oscar to someone who likes men. Well done academy.'
  • RC7RC7
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    I'm confused - I've only heard a snippet of Smith's acceptance, but what does winning his oscar have to do with him being gay? Wouldn't it be a bit weird if Adele had got up and said, 'thanks I'm really into men! thanks for awarding an oscar to a woman who likes men. I don't care what you think of my song, but that you gave an Oscar to someone who likes men. Well done academy.'

No. It's nothing like that.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

No. It's nothing like that.

What is it like?