The SPECTRE vs Skyfall battle! (simple question)

Comments

• Watched SP again yesterday.

It's a draw IMHO.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 3,166
    @Perilagu_Khan

Nonsense? Is it nonsense stating the fact that taste can't be defined? If I like a vanilla shake more than the strawberry shake, who are you to tell me, that I should like the strawberry shake more?
  • I didn't say taste can't be defined. And I'm not saying a vanilla shake is better than a strawberry shake. I am saying there are good vanilla shakes, and bad vanilla shakes. Likewise there are good and bad Bond movies. You can claim DAD is superior to FRWL, but that doesn't make it so.
  • The mouse scene alone puts SF ahead. Just....silly.
  • RC7RC7
    The mouse scene alone puts SF ahead. Just....silly.

The scene with the mouse is brilliant.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was a bit cheesy.

Or did you mean the Topolino scene?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SP has a few problems, that I won't deny, but none of them upset my overall enjoyment of the film. The more Bond-like feel of SP was more than enough to counter whatever problems that I had with it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The mouse scene belongs up there with the great moments in cinematic history.
    Apparently the mouse has stated he'd sooner slash his tail than star in another Bond movie!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Apparently the mouse has stated he'd sooner slash his tail than star in another Bond movie!

=)) =)) =)) that made my day!
  • Mathis1 wrote: »

=D>
    Cute!
    Along with the CGI komodo dragon-scene from SF!
    there are good and bad Bond movies. You can claim DAD is superior to FRWL, but that doesn't make it so.

Actually, it does. If your favorite flavour is action setpieces and your favorite Bond is Brosnan, of course you can make the claim that you think DAD is better and FRWL just plain boring and cheesy with its back-projection scenes and cold-war theme.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    there are good and bad Bond movies. You can claim DAD is superior to FRWL, but that doesn't make it so.

Actually, it does. If your favorite flavour is action setpieces and your favorite Bond is Brosnan, of course you can make the claim that you think DAD is better and FRWL just plain boring and cheesy with its back-projection scenes and cold-war theme.

And you'd be objectively wrong.

If that's the case, can you please tell me which Bond movies I should prefer over others, for me to be on the side of being right? ;-) Is it wrong of me to prefer MR over GF, for example?
  • Zekidk wrote: »

C'mon. DAD is bad, and that's being kind, and FRWL is one of the best films in the series.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Certain parties telling someone that their opinion is objectively wrong often forget that objectivity isn't defined as whatever your opinion is. People will argue with you till the cows come home if your opinion doesn't match theirs, all in the name of their so-called objectivity, which frees them up from looking like too much of a nitwit.

For Christ's sake, folks, we all love this franchise. Why do we constantly have to defend our tastes for others just because we prefer one film over another? As a QoS fan, I know this feeling all too well, as the film seems to bring out the childish side of most dissenters.

There's much more important things to discuss on the forums than battling tastes, in case some weren't aware. Another thing people seem to forget at times is that we can have debates that are good natured and pleasant. Though, for a SP v. SF "battle" this is likely impossible.
    Certain parties telling someone that their opinion is objectively wrong often forget that objectivity isn't defined as whatever your opinion is. People will argue with you till the cows come home if your opinion doesn't match theirs, all in the name of their so-called objectivity, which frees them up from looking like too much of a nitwit.

For Christ's sake, folks, we all love this franchise. Why do we constantly have to defend our tastes for others just because we prefer one film over another? As a QoS fan, I know this feeling all too well, as the film seems to bring out the childish side of most dissenters.

There's much more important things to discuss on the forums than battling tastes, in case some weren't aware. Another thing people seem to forget at times is that we can have debates that are good natured and pleasant. Though, for a SP v. SF "battle" this is likely impossible.

Sad, but true.
    At least it has taken away the focus from bashing Brosnan, now they have a new target in SP.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    There's nothing wrong with having this discussion imho. I enjoy it. As long as it's good natured. At the end of the day it's all opinion any way.

However, and having said that, anyone who objectively tries to make the case that DAD is better than FRWL is likely to run into some difficulties with other members on this forum, and perhaps rightly so,
    Well @bondjames objectivity is not for everyone.

I always try my best. I can see FRWL is (one of) the best Bond movie ever, objectively speaking and I'm sure 99% would place FRWL over DAD.

Maybe that example was flawed by the original poster.

But what about DAD vs DAF vs QOS vs AVTAK vs MR?

While FRWL vs DAD may be easily solvable, other examples are not.
    Even if many here want to have DAD at the bottom of everybody's list just for the sake of convenience, it isn't.

These discussions are ok in my opinion too. I admit, though, every now and then, it gets to me when I see one movie or one actor or, as happened lately, one singer gets overly "criticised" and I always like to fight for the underdog.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Just having a bit of fun @BondJasonBond006.

It's all opinion anyway. I don't take any of this stuff too seriously (except if someone honestly and seriously feels DAD is better than FRWL). ;)
    bondjames wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with having this discussion imho. I enjoy it. As long as it's good natured. At the end of the day it's all opinion any way.

However, and having said that, anyone who objectively tries to make the case that DAD is better than FRWL is likely to run into some difficulties with other members on this forum, and perhaps rightly so,

No he wasn't - he was just defending himself against Khanners' attack.

@Birdleson @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Yeah, well said. Mocking, nasty, etc. And objectivity is trickily defined, if defined at all (as @bondjames and I recently discussed).
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 3,166
    People will argue with you till the cows come home if your opinion doesn't match theirs.
    Been that, done there! What a waste of words trying to convince me to love SF, for example (that other SF-thread). Ain't gonna happen!
    C'mon. DAD is bad, and that's being kind
    That's your opinion. I think that the first hour of DAD is the best thing in the Brosnan era. The PCS, Havana, bearded Bond, the fencing scene etc - all magnificent, IMO! The last hour - Iceland with it's awful CGI, is also the worst, however! But that's just my opinion.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Are we just supposed to say which film we prefer or think is the better film? Skyfall vs. Spectre? If so, it is Skyfall for me.
  • 1. SP
    2. SF

But not by a wide margin, both are middle-tier Bond for me. We really do need another CR.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @Zekidk, I don't know how you got it in your head that I was referring to you specifically with my comment, but feel free to take it personally.

Some are so eager to jump at another person's throat over nothing lately. To clarify, in that instance I was talking about you.
    @Zekidk, I don't know how you got it in your head that I was referring to you specifically with my comment, but feel free to take it personally.
    Huh? I was agreeing with you!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I always try my best. I can see FRWL is (one of) the best Bond movie ever, objectively speaking and I'm sure 99% would place FRWL over DAD.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the 2012-2015 rankings and 6/182 have DAD ranked above FRWL

Rankings were (FRWL/DAD): 21/13, 8/4, 21/18, 17/8, 14/9, 10/7

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Zekidk wrote: »
    If that's the case, can you please tell me which Bond movies I should prefer over others, for me to be on the side of being right? ;-) Is it wrong of me to prefer MR over GF, for example?

With all due respect, yes. That is wrong.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,595
    Zekidk wrote: »

"Preferring" something doesn't make it better. I prefer DAF to GF, but I understand GF is technically the superior Bond film.