Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• dandan wrote: »
    Why does a person feel the need to talk about their sexual orientation on this occasion?
    I don't get it.
    Stop it.

Stop the whining about people having political speeches during the Oscars. It has always been like that. And IMO if it were for the Oscars, the USA would have had gay marriage way sooner.

Quite tired of all the negativity that's bubbling up during a......fff-ing WIN for God sake. That's a sheer positive moment in itself! Let Sam Smith have its short stage moment and for once be happy!
  • Congratulations on the Oscar, though still find the vocals excruciating.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2016 Posts: 12,459
    We are just sharing our opinions, likes and dislikes, of a major entertainment event that included an Oscar for a Bond film. I haven't read any terrible homophobic comments on here. We are allowed to dislike speeches and such. We will vary in our impressions. And we can comment as we like, as long as we are decent and civil enough about our various opinions and thoughts. You don't have to be so bombastic (let alone calling some of us moronic) and tell us what we ALL should be this or that, @BondJasonBond006. That gets old, too.

And do I think Sam should have thanked EON verbally, even briefly (no matter what was printed on the screen) - yes, for sure.

I like Silverman, but she was on poor form during the show; not funny, and I cringed many a time watching her.

I think Chris Rock was a pretty good host though and handled the pressure well, even if they all told way too many race related jokes for my taste. I was just thinking we get it, already, move along most of the time.

And yes, it's the big craze now during awards season to use your brief platform to rant or rave about an issue of your choice. Be fast though, because if another actor picks your topic, you've got to think on your feet and pick another one to be fresh and noteworthy. And believe me, you'll look like a ditz if, after other performers rob you of diversity in film, global warming and war overseas, you're stuck ranting about women being underpaid and underrepresented in the job market as you accept your award for "Best Actor in a Leading Role." Gotta love those famous people problems.

Agreed. Rock was good in a tough job. But the the writers for the show and the presenters and winners never quit with the lecturing. Listening to a bunch of multi millionaires relentlessly lecture us great unwashed slobs about what to think on an awards show gets really old.

• smitty wrote: »
    I like Silverman, but she was on poor form during the show; not funny, and I cringed many a time watching her.

I think Chris Rock was a pretty good host though and handled the pressure well, even if they all told way too many race related jokes for my taste. I was just thinking we get it, already, move along most of the time.

And yes, it's the big craze now during awards season to use your brief platform to rant or rave about an issue of your choice. Be fast though, because if another actor picks your topic, you've got to think on your feet and pick another one to be fresh and noteworthy. And believe me, you'll look like a ditz if, after other performers rob you of diversity in film, global warming and war overseas, you're stuck ranting about women being underpaid and underrepresented in the job market as you accept your award for "Best Actor in a Leading Role." Gotta love those famous people problems.

Agreed. Rock was good in a tough job. But the the writers for the show and the presenters and winners never quit with the lecturing. Listening to a bunch of multi millionaires relentlessly lecture us great unwashed slobs about what to think on an awards show gets really old.

Donald Trump os a billionaire too. And sorry for saying that, but I do think some of those millionaire actors have their hearts on the right place at least. As compared to 'lecturer Trump'.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Congrats to Smith and EoN for bagging an Oscar for Bond.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Congrats to Sam Smith on the Oscar, great news for the Bond movies.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Congratulations to Sam on getting the Oscar =D>
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Don't know what the other nominees were but if TWOTW was the best the rest must have been god-awful!
    I was surprised. But I did like Writings on the Wall more than Adele's Skyfall.
  • Don't know what the other nominees were but if TWOTW was the best the rest must have been god-awful!

Well, one of the nominees was a song from Fifty Shades of Grey so...
    Fade to grey ? ;)
    I'm not at all homophobic.
    But I'm simply not interested in knowing who a person likes to have sex with, or what kind of genitals they like on another person.
    It's a very private thing.
    Keep in private.
    I'm very interested in peoples genitals, call me an old traditionalist but they're never
    far from my thoughts. :D
    Perhaps re-read what I wrote...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, given the time right now, I regrettably missed breakfast and I do enjoy a nice piece of poontang pie most mornings.
  • I'm very interested in peoples genitals, call me an old traditionalist but they're never
    far from my thoughts. :D

Hmmm evidenced by your username perhaps?
    :)) could be.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Till It Happens To You from Lady Gaga very Skyfall song with DAD/CR style videoclip. But not realy a song i wil use for documentry.

The Weeknd with Earned It ( Fify Shades of Grey) is a very good song. Very Michael Jackson and a bit Bond also.

Manta Ray (Racing Extinction) sound like Rufes Wainwirght. Simple Song # 3 (Youth) is classic music, mabey nice as background music for that kind of movie.

I will possible give the oscar to The Weeknd because there playing it a lot on radio, second be Sam Smith.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    A Bond title song gets an Oscar and people on a James Bond forum are bitching over if it was deserved or not. What has the world come to?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Hated the song but delighted that the franchise has another Oscar under its belt.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Some nice reactions here that once again show how moronic some can be. Instead of making this thread a celebration we have to cope yet again with posts that are JUST WRONG ON EVERY LEVEL.

Sam Smith deserves this Oscar. It is a great song and worthy of winning, what does it have to do with other Bond songs not being nominated in the past?

WE ALL SHOULD BE PROUD instead of complaining about his acceptance speech which was fabulous, and to whine about that he hasn't thanked somebody at EON is a lame excuse to once again bash him.

Yes, he is gay, and yes, I'm glad he brought it up, because after all THE HOMOPHOBIC SHIT he had to endure after he was announced as Bond theme singer and after the song came out IT'S NECESSARY.

Well, done Mr. Smith. Great songwriting, great singing, great addition to the Bond franchise. Congratulations on your Academy Award and Golden Globe.

Thank you. Well said.

And YES - Sam Smith was very right to raise the LGBT cause - especially on a night so marred with exclusion (and in the wake of a very archaic and telling homophobia that did rear its ugly head back in the Fall - "he sounds like a girl" and "he's too effeminate for Bond").

He was indeed factually very wrong with his Ian McKellen reference (but he half knew that anyway) and rest assured - he would have thanked Team EON in the right way at the right time. I am always at a loss at the kneejerk and sheepish complainers on some film fan forums. Until any of us have won an Oscar, sung live on Oscar night to the billion plus audiences (as well as the rows of Hollywood royalty immediately in-front of you) and produced the 24th Bond song (and make it original, fresh and relevant) I would hold fire on knocking down people's success.

And yes, it is futile to knock Mr Smith because such and such Bond singer never got an Oscar before. That is like saying "SPOTLIGHT shouldn't have won because ALL THE PRESIDENT'S didn't win in 1976".

Lady Gaga will win a Best Song Oscar too....for her Bond song. Just sayin' (!).

• edited February 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Lady Gaga? We need Lana Del Rey.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 5,185
    i am more than happy for Sam Smith winning. The instrumental alone deserved an Oscar. Every win for Bond is great and helps to keep the series relevant and not just a side note in Hollywood.

This is the second oscar win in a row for Bond, last time this happend was Goldfinger/Thunderball. That will also help to cement the importance and place of Craigs run in the Franchise, together with his box office successes.

As for Sam Smith's speech, if he felt the need to say whatever he did, i am sure he had good reasons as this was probably one of the biggest, most televised moment in his life, so don't judge people if you don't know what went through their mind in that moment

Congrats to Sam Smith. Love the song and would enjoy it still regardless of a mini statuette awarded by the ridiculous hoo-haa that is the Oscars.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 5,185
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Lady Gaga? We need Lana Del Rey.

I agree, but her song '24' wasn't that great unfortunately. Someone should write a song for her maybe.
    I would suggest whoever wrote WOTW :) after all he has an oscar under his belt

Bond wins another Oscar, what's not to like. :)
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,009
    We are just sharing our opinions, likes and dislikes, of a major entertainment event that included an Oscar for a Bond film. I haven't read any terrible homophobic comments on here. We are allowed to dislike speeches and such. We will vary in our impressions. And we can comment as we like, as long as we are decent and civil enough about our various opinions and thoughts. You don't have to be so bombastic (let alone calling some of us moronic) and tell us what we ALL should be this or that, @BondJasonBond006. That gets old, too.

And do I think Sam should have thanked EON verbally, even briefly (no matter what was printed on the screen) - yes, for sure.

Well said, sir. Too bad I see Anthony & The Johnsons doing the next song (I like them, but they're as un-Bondian as Mr. Smith).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    smitty wrote: »

Well, you CAN turn the channel or hit the mute button.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »

Well, you CAN turn the channel or hit the mute button.

This is right XD In fact, I just listened the Oscars on the radio, with people commenting on the ceremony. In all countries all the ceremonies are the same: lecturing and MOAR lecturing.

BTW, I think we all agree Morricone deserved his golden boy?