Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited February 2016 Posts: 1,009
    jake24 wrote: »
    I don't want to fool myself: This award pissed me off.

Well, congrats to Smith and a big shrug.
    Yeah yeah.
    Wipe those tears off.

No comment except I'm not jumping in the bandwagon.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 92
    Why does a person feel the need to talk about their sexual orientation on this occasion?
    I don't get it.
    Stop it.
  • dandan wrote: »
    Why does a person feel the need to talk about their sexual orientation on this occasion?
    I don't get it.
    Stop it.

Did I miss something here?
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    Smith made a short acceptance speech about being the first openly gay winner etc, which is wrong. He thanked no one at EON for making his Oscar win possible. His lack of class and gratitude for a 20 minute effort was more than matched by Sarah Silverman who was a total shit during her intro to the song, which was a long series of unfunny snide Bond put downs capped by another Elba push.

I'm all for diversity and fairness but the entire show has been one long rant against racist Hollywood. They went way over board and I'm positive they turned off a lot if viewers who are sympathetic to the issue, but got tired of getting lectured to all night.

Mad Max won so many awards I thought George Miller had a real shot, but he just lost to the Rev. Director. He's Hispanic and has won the best director award 2 years in a row, a first. Apparently the only diversity that counted tonight was black diversity.

For me, Diversity is not about the Oscar noms, it's about the studios producing more films with more roles for diverse talent but I guess that is not a politically correct view tonight.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,009
    smitty wrote: »
    Smith made a short acceptance speech about being the first openly gay winner etc, which is wrong. He thanked no one at EON for making his Oscar win possible. His lack of class and gratitude for a 20 minute effort was more than matched by Sarah Silverman who was a total shit during her intro to the song, which was a long series of unfunny snide Bond put downs capped by another Elba push.

Well, at least DiCaprio wins at last...

About Smith acceptance speech, yep, there have been around half a dozen openly gay winners at the very least. Sir Reginald Dwight aka Elton John salutes you, Sam.
    Very happy for DiCaprio. Again though, another political speech. Got sick of it quickly.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,586
    You don't need to be a genius to know that Smith was taken out of context. Lazy criticism.
  • And If I'm right, there was 3 Bond musical cues in the ceremony : DAF, CR67 and GF. An "old era"...
    Wrong. His Oscar was made 100% possible by EON who selected him, Newman who orchstrated and arranged his music and Mendes who rewrote the lyrics. Smith plagerized his Grammy winning song which required a legal settlement with Petty, so why should he thank those who made an Oscar at 23 possible. He was an an ungrateful ass. Before he won, I was going to note that he did a good job in singing the song, but he lost me with his acceptance speech.
  • chamutakramchamutakram Dallas
    And If I'm right, there was 3 Bond musical cues in the ceremony : DAF, CR67 and GF. An "old era"...

4, LALD was there too.

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited February 2016 Posts: 543
    FoxRox wrote: »
    . I must say though I'm sick of all the political agendas being shoved so hard in this presentation.
    Agreed. It just seems forced to me.
    He thanked no one at EON for making his Oscar win possible. His lack of class and gratitude for a 20 minute effort was more than matched by Sarah Silverman who was a total shit during her intro to the song, which was a long series of unfunny snide Bond put downs capped by another Elba push.
    Silverman was bad, she wasn't making any sense and I just wanted her to stop.
    I'm all for diversity and fairness but the entire show has been one long rant against racist Hollywood. They went way over board and I'm positive they turned off a lot if viewers who are sympathetic to the issue, but got tired of getting lectured to all night.
    It certainly turn me off. It's like "all right, I get it!". Just go on with the show and be entertaining.
    And If I'm right, there was 3 Bond musical cues in the ceremony : DAF, CR67 and GF. An "old era"...
    I did like this. I only heard GF and CR67 though.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    All the people Sam thanked (including EON, Barbara and Michael) were written in the txt at the bottom of the screen as he came to the stage so that they wouldn't have to waste time saying a bunch of names. The Oscars seemed to want to cramp down on speeches longer than 45 seconds this year, so that was the solution they had, though I don't know how effective it was. The time Sam and Jimmy got to give their piece wasn't long, just as it wasn't for the smaller technical awards. Add to that the fact that Sam was a nervous wreck with people looking to him to wrap it up, and there you have it.

But I'm not an idiot and I know people will look towards anything to make a stink. Such is the climate currently.

Be happy Bond is still winning awards, and at the Oscars of all things, netting big wins every time it's made an appearance for these last two films.
    Just my .02' but I don't agree. The other winners thanked the key players in their wins. He didn't and he of all people given how small his effort was, owed some big thank yous.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    All the people Sam thanked (including EON, Barbara and Michael) were written in the txt at the bottom of the screen as he came to the stage so that they wouldn't have to waste time saying a bunch of names. The Oscars seemed to want to cramp down on speeches longer than 45 seconds this year, so that was the solution they had, though I don't know how effective it was. The time Sam and Jimmy got to give their piece wasn't long, just as it wasn't for the smaller technical awards. Add to that the fact that Sam was a nervous wreck with people looking to him to wrap it up, and there you have it.

But I'm not an idiot and I know people will look towards anything to make a stink. Such is the climate currently.

Be happy Bond is still winning awards, and at the Oscars of all things, netting big wins every time it's made an appearance for these last two films.

And that three Bond songs (Goldfinger, Thunderball, and Diamonds Are Forever) were played by the orchestra during intros and closings.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just my .02' but I don't agree. The other winners thanked the key players in their wins. He didn't and he of all people given how small his effort was, owed some big thank yous.

A shame he didn't have you to write his speech for him.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

A shame he didn't have you to write his speech for him.

people will find anything to use to shit on someone's parade..

i had no problem with his acceptance speech.... yes, the LGBT thing was a bit of forced political agenda - but christ almighty, if your complaining about it now, then this was probably your first rodeo with the Oscars.... last year it was all about equal rights for women - next year it will be about something else - because much like people in regards to Sam Smith - his song - his acceptance speech - we will always find something to complain about.

nothing will ever be good enough.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,015
    Not fact checking the core of his speech was quite weird, though. Don't claim you are the first of anything when you're not. It took more courage for others before than for him now. And well, with all the controversy this year.. And still, there were more kids and droids on stage, than Latinos and Asians :)

It was embarassing also for Louis CK to make a speech about the fact that the person who would win the short documentary award would be a nobody - only to hear the winner saying she had already had won one Oscar before.

Finally, I noticed the Minions voices had even more French than usual, but it will go unnoticed except for us :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Nice to see you posting again @haserot. Agreed.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,399
    It was embarassing also for Louis CK to make a speech about the fact that the person who would win the short documentary award would be a nobody - only to hear the winner saying she had already had won one Oscar before.

irony at it's best..... but he's having a bit of comedic fun with the genre - he is a comedian after all.... he certainly did a much better job with his material than Sarah Silverman - who was probably thankful just to be on TV for 30 seconds.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Not fact checking the core of his speech was quite weird, though. Don't claim you are the first of anything when you're not. It took more courage for others before than for him now.

Sam didn't arrogantly label himself that way, he even said that if he was, that's great, meaning he himself wasn't a 100% sure, but if he wasn't he considered himself in good company. He's not a poser or anything like that, he was nervous and had a lot weighing on him. I also don't think it's entirely fair to call him out for making part of his speech being about his security in his sexual identity, especially in a world where kids are still being disowned by family and friends for being gay, or worse, killed. It's as justified a speech as Leo's environmental stance or Patricia Arquette's girl power pontificating.

It's very easy to judge someone's actions from behind a computer and separated from the event they're experiencing, calling them out for something you think they didn't do well enough. Let's not poke and prod at poor old Sam lest one of you end up in a similar situation and suffer the same anxiety and nerves. We're all human. I think a lot of people forget that sometimes.

Alas, Sammy boy won a golden man and the world is still spinning the way it was before he won it. How about that?
    i had no problem with Smiths LGBT comments. It was his lack of gratitude for the people who made his win possible that ticked me off. He's won Grammies and an Oscar at 23 with very big assists. He had to pay Petty off for plagerizing his Grammy song, but I guess it's ok if you win the gongs and believe you did it all by yourself.
    i had no problem with Smiths LGBT comments. It was his lack of gratitude for the people who made his win possible that ticked me off.

You'll have to take it up with the people at the Oscars who were so keen to get people off the stage as fast as they got on there. And of course, the show still went way over time. Funny, that.
    i had no problem with Smiths LGBT comments. It was his lack of gratitude for the people who made his win possible.

i'm sure he was grateful... he was obviously a nervous wreck - and probably didn't expect to win, and why should he, the way that everyone including the media dumped on his song.... he should've taken the oscar, and then flipped the bird to all the naysayers - that would've been priceless...... but when you're rushed up onto stage, nervous as hell, and as quickly as you are rushed onto stage you have people trying to push you off - yes, your mind is going to be racing a bit... i am sure he'll put out a lengthy "thank you" letter in due time... most do when they don't get around to thanking those they want.
    I think the entire show just ticked me off. It was one long lecture about diversity that never quit, and Sarah Silverman really pissed me off. Plus my kid is still sick and was crying all night, so I'm obviously just in a really bad mood. Ba hum bug.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 11,119
    WTF. Another Oscar win for a Bond film?!?! This is insane really! I would have thought the Academy would be much nicer to Lady Gaga this time. This comes as a total surprise for me. Totally! I'm wetting my pants here in the Barcelona metro to work :-o. I'M STUNNED!

Sorry Sammy Smith ;-). CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Edited for language. Please be careful
    I think the entire show just ticked me off. It was one long lecture about diversity that never quit, and Sarah Silverman really pissed me off. Plus my kid is still sick and was crying all night, so I'm obviously just in a really bad mood. Ba hum bug.

i do admit, Silverman annoyed me as well - i just never ever found her funny, and all her jokes fell flat on their face with me, as well as about 70% of the audience too.. and her cute little "wink wink" to Horowitz and Elba - for Fs sake - i just wanted her to shut her mouth so we could get to the song... I had no problem with a comedian wanting to throw barbs at Bond, but only if it's funny, her jokes were awful..
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If you're watching the Oscars in hopes of not seeing political agendas get pushed, particularly after all these "Oscars are racist" claims, then you're watching the wrong program.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I like Silverman, but she was on poor form during the show; not funny, and I cringed many a time watching her.

I think Chris Rock was a pretty good host though and handled the pressure well, even if they all told way too many race related jokes for my taste. I was just thinking we get it, already, move along most of the time.

And yes, it's the big craze now during awards season to use your brief platform to rant or rave about an issue of your choice. Be fast though, because if another actor picks your topic, you've got to think on your feet and pick another one to be fresh and noteworthy. And believe me, you'll look like a ditz if, after other performers rob you of diversity in film, global warming and war overseas, you're stuck ranting about women being underpaid and underrepresented in the job market as you accept your award for "Best Actor in a Leading Role." Gotta love those famous people problems.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Some nice reactions here that once again show how moronic some can be. Instead of making this thread a celebration we have to cope yet again with posts that are JUST WRONG ON EVERY LEVEL.

Sam Smith deserves this Oscar. It is a great song and worthy of winning, what does it have to do with other Bond songs not being nominated in the past?

WE ALL SHOULD BE PROUD instead of complaining about his acceptance speech which was fabulous, and to whine about that he hasn't thanked somebody at EON is a lame excuse to once again bash him.

Yes, he is gay, and yes, I'm glad he brought it up, because after all THE HOMOPHOBIC SHIT he had to endure after he was announced as Bond theme singer and after the song came out IT'S NECESSARY.

Well, done Mr. Smith. Great songwriting, great singing, great addition to the Bond franchise. Congratulations on your Academy Award and Golden Globe.
    @BondJasonBond006

i wish we had 'like' buttons on this forum... well said.