Should EON lose the rights to Blofeld and SPECTRE?

I read last night that EON (Bond producers) just got back the copyrights to Blofeld. I was confused, because I saw Tomorrow NEver Dies on TV (great film) and I thought Blofeld was in that one, (but Elliot Carver wasn't actually Blofeld,) I thought he was. Are the Bond movies better with the villain turning into Blofeld? Or is it just a gimmick that EON should leave alone. Should someone else have the rights to Blofeld and SPECTRE? Lets hear your thoughts.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    NO, I was really happy to learn that the producers had at long last, got the rights to
    spectre, Blofeld etc ( part of the Sony deal) as it put an end to, yet another remake of Thunderball coming along. :)
    WTF NO. EON should own EVERYTHING Bond related EVERYTHING
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Interesting. Is this because you think EON are doing such a spectacularly good job or just because you don't want to see any more rogue Bond films?

Interesting. Is this because you think EON are doing such a spectacularly good job or just because you don't want to see any more rogue Bond films?

The former yes, the latter no. I would love to see what a rival Bond film would look like in the 2010s.

The former yes, the latter no. I would love to see what a rival Bond film would look like in the 2010s.

Personally I can't agree 100% on the first question.

With all the retconning farce and the botch they made of introducing Blofeld in SP my faith in EON is waning.

I worry that Babs seems more obsessed with enlisting A list talent in the hope of making a film that is Oscarbait rather just concentrating on making a good Bond film and MGW just seems to be winding down to retirement. And I have very little faith that the Wilson brothers are up to the job I'm afraid.

The one thing I never wanted to happen - Bond not being in EON's hands - doesn't scare me as much as it used to anymore.

That said EON are the buffer that save us from a studio exec imposing bullshit like black Bond, gay Bond, female Bond on us but there again it wasn't the studio that signed off on brother Blofeld was it?

On balance I'd say EON losing the rights would be a disaster but they need to up their game as some of the decisions made in SP were misguided.

As for rogue Bond films, the only I would like to see this happen is if Netflix or HBO did a Bond series of faithful, period adaptations of Fleming's books.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The very thought of EON not having the rights to use Blofeld and Spectre after all the crap that they have had to put up with from that Kevin person is quite the most unpalatable thing I have ever seen on this forum my two cents worth @Cuckoo007 don't take this personally .
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    The very thought of EON not having the rights to use Blofeld and Spectre after all the crap that they have had to put up with from that Kevin person is quite the most unpalatable thing I have ever seen on this forum my two cents worth @Cuckoo007 don't take this personally .

My take on it as well - Kevin McClory was a real thorn in the flesh of Eon Productions, his genuine grievances quite aside.
    They shouldn't lose the rights. Heck, they just got them back after decades of legal fights. But, that said, they need to do much better with the franchise, both with Blofeld/SPECTRE as well as everything else, than they did the last time out. In a couple of films, they'll reach the point where the whole personal/rogue angle will become what the franchise ultimately is, as we're now going on almost three decades of it being the predominant theme of the franchise.
  • Yes they should lose them. What they allowed to happen to the character shows they can no longer be trusted. There should have been clear parameters as to who this guy and his organisation is. How did Blofeld go from in the guy in FRWL to the pathetic loser in SP who has daddy issues? Oh yeah, and he has full surveillance on MI6 but doesn't know anything about the Q gadgets.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I for one liked Waltz's Blofeld and where they took him. The Blofeld of the Connery era was a snore, a tease they never did anything with, and although Telly was a shining moment of fleeting beauty for the character, we were right back to boring territory with the atrocious use of the character in DAF.

Waltz's Blofeld has layers and a depth that you can create a psychological profile from. He's ruthless and unlike most Bond villains, he actually sticks around to make sure Bond is dead before egotistically marching off with a stupid grin on his face. That's a big win for me.
    dalton wrote: »
    They shouldn't lose the rights. Heck, they just got them back after decades of legal fights. But, that said, they need to do much better with the franchise, both with Blofeld/SPECTRE as well as everything else, than they did the last time out. In a couple of films, they'll reach the point where the whole personal/rogue angle will become what the franchise ultimately is, as we're now going on almost three decades of it being the predominant theme of the franchise.

Quite.

Ever since TLD we have had the same three ideas repeated time and again. It's getting dull. How about Bond just does his job for once?

LTK - Personal & Bond goes rogue.
    GE - Personal & MI6 traitor.
    TND - Personal (the Paris angle just about qualifies I guess).
    TWINE - Personal (for M).
    DAD - Personal, Bond goes rogue & MI6 traitor.
    CR - Personal & MI6 traitor.
    QOS - Personal & Bond goes rogue.
    SF - Personal (for both Bond and M), Bond goes rogue & MI6 traitor.
    SP - Personal, Bond goes rogue & MI6 traitor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but up until LTK the only time we had any one of these themes was OHMSS (personal - and it didn't really interfere with business as usual) wasn't it?
    I think Waltz's Blofeld is a long term project, perhaps growing in menace over another
    One or two films. I thought near the end of Spectre he was starting to become a bit
    "Unhinged"
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2016 Posts: 16,328
    Yes they should lose them. What they allowed to happen to the character shows they can no longer be trusted. There should have been clear parameters as to who this guy and his organisation is. How did Blofeld go from in the guy in FRWL to the pathetic loser in SP who has daddy issues? Oh yeah, and he has full surveillance on MI6 but doesn't know anything about the Q gadgets.

Glad you're not in charge of the franchise.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'd argue that most of the time, Bond's mission is personal. He's either personally affected, his country and countrymen are threatened, or his friends abroad/across the pond are threatened. Doesn't get much more personal than that, does it?

Whether we're talking about Connery's Bond revenging himself on his enemies for the deaths of Quarrel and Kerim, Lazenby's Bond falling in love on the job, marrying and facing off with a man who wants to rob him of that happiness, Moore's Bond uncovering the meaning behind the bullet with his name on it, Dalton's Bond tracking down the man responsible for nearly killing his friend and murdering/raping his wife, Brosnan's Bond facing off against an old flame's hubby, or, later on, a woman who threatens his life and that of his boss's, or Dan's Bond who has had the most personal stretch of films yet, things always get personal for Bond. It's almost impossible to avoid.
    The difference in those early films, though, was that the mission only became personal as it went. Of course, Bond is going to be affected when his allies in a mission are put in danger or die, but the mission itself wasn't based off of that personal angle.

Since Licence to Kill, though, the mission has been built off of the foundation of a personal arc.
  • Murdock wrote: »

Glad your not in charge of the franchise.

It's you're.

Either spelling suits me, but then I'm not trying to annoy anyone. :(
    Either spelling suits me, but then I'm not trying to annoy anyone. :(

It's not optional. They are two different words with different meanings.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The opening post of this thread says it all.
    I try to understand the meaning of what a person has posted, rather than correct.
    Spelling, grammar, syntax or how the words scan, but we're all different. My posts
    are usually full of all sorts of mistakes, hopefully as we're all friends most members
    Over look them.
    Murdock wrote: »

Glad your not in charge of the franchise.

It's you're.
    Sorry, we all make spelling mistakes from time to time. Based on your username I'm guessing 12 is your age? ;)

• Murdock wrote: »

Sorry, we all make spelling mistakes from time to time. Based on your username I'm guessing 12 is your age? ;)

In these educationally devalued times you should know that no 12 year old would recognize the error.

Dragonpol has already tried that childish insult btw. My response is on my 'wall'.
    Murdock wrote: »

In these educationally devalued times you should know that no 12 year old would recognize the error.

Dragonpol has already tried that childish insult btw. My response is on my 'wall'.

Actually I graduated from school years ago so I don't know what they teach kids these days, though based on what I read it's not so good.

Dragonpol is good at spotting the bad eggs early. Did they happen to teach you manners as well?
    Dragonpol has some very good instincts. ;)
  • ok I'm just going to leave the children in the playpen.
    ok I'm just going to leave the children in the playpen.
    Take a giant step for mankind.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    EON should sell the Bond franchise including all rights to Disney.
    I really hope they will get JJ Abrams to give Bond the much needed overhaul.
    It's damn time, really.
    Get Zac Efron as Bond. Make Bond 25 a remake or reboot and for Heaven's Sake the target audience has to be the teens up to the 25 year olds.
    Make Efron's Bond kind of gay-ish, not too obvious, so it will appeal to the girls and boys.
    Get Pierce Brosnan to reprise his role as a side-part and mentor to the new Bond.
    Of course Brosnan has to be tragically killed by the son of Blofeld.
    Get a surprise ending, possibly Bond's grandfather at the end standing on a rock, gazing into the sunset, played by Connery of course.

BB + MGW never could do such a marvelous thing. So sell it, better today than tomorrow.
    I always thought they missed a trick with Bond. When High School Musical was all the rage.
    A teenage Bond at school, all singing and Dancing, maybe work in a young vampire vibe. With
    Bond falling in love with the sister of the school bully " Blofeld". :)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    And it's at this point that if you listen you will hear the sound of the late Mr Cubby spinning in his grave .
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hard to hear over Fleming spinning faster and counterclockwise.