What did Timothy Dalton think of GoldenEye ?

edited March 2016 in Bond Movies Posts: 847
That's a great question, isn't it ? Did Timothy Dalton have someday comment - say what is thinking- of the GoldenEye with Pierce Brosnan ? And if yes, what did he say ?

Comments

• I don't know but I bet he thought he was a better Bond than Pierce. Goldeneye would have suited Dalton's Bond very well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't think he was even asked because I can't remember reading any comments by him on the film. He left the role from what I understand, and given it had been 6 long years since he had starred as Bond, I don't think folks really thought about asking him.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I have heard of Dalton speaking vaguely negative toward John Glen. Dalton like Moore always seems positive toward the franchise.

Shouldn't it go in the question thread?
    While I do not rate Dalton I doubt he said anything negative about Brosnans first movie, after all they are colleagues that did do the same job. He knows how the industry works so he probably wished Brosnan all the luck in the world.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,728
    I've never read his thoughts on GoldenEye either. I also doubt that he'd say anything negative about his successor as Bond - it's not the done thing after all.
    Ah ah, I would have liked heard that he say he is regreting to not done this film finaly x)
    he would have liked it more if he was in it honestly.
  • he was essentially robbed by people who didn't understand the Bond character.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Dalton suggested another actor take over the role.Given the gap in the films.
    So I'm guessing, he'd have been pleased with the continuing success of the
    Series.Just my opinion obviously.
  • Dalton suggested another actor take over the role.Given the gap in the films.
    So I'm guessing, he'd have been pleased with the continuing success of the
    Series.Just my opinion obviously.

I believe that Dalton will have looked on the Brosnan era with disdain. Brosnan's bond is the antithesis of what Dalton was trying to achieve.
    Given that old Tim is a happy successful actor, I don't think he'd have been
    too bothered. :D
  • I think Dalton cared about Bond actually.
    Horses for courses.
  • ...and trolls for bridges it seems
    Yes, I was thinking that too. ;)
  • GBFGBF
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,195
    I think Pierce did a great job in Golden Eye. i don't know why people always discuss whether Tim could have played the role better in that film. Yes I think he could have done it as good as Pierce but not better. But at the same time you could argue that Pierce would have been a great Bond in "The Living Daylights". Even though I am a fan of Dalton, I assume that TLD would have worked even better with Brosnan.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 562
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dalton walked away all by himself, he wasn't fired or dismissed. True, GoldenEye was being written with him in mind, but the actor was tired of all the wait and delays, even hearing how much MGM weighed on Cubby to get rid of the actor he left without drama.

And yes, I am glad we've had GoldenEye with Brosnan, because the original draft, even though having a fascinating villain and a mcguffin, was a waste of entertainment with a plot device that had so much potential. I'm glad Michael France and Bruce Feirstein made it what would be the final form of the film.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Dalton's departure from Bond wasn't quite as unceremonious as Brosnan's, but every time I see one of these threads I wish that the lawsuit didn't exist (for that matter, I don't even want McClory to exist, since he hasn't done anything except stir up trouble and give us the FYEO PTS and NSNA, both of which sucked hard) so that Dalton could've made Bonds in 1991 and 1993.

I think Dalton said at some point that he thought Brosnan attempted to be a darker Bond but his films wouldn't let him or something like that.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I doubt Dalton would hold any personal grudges towards Brosnan himself. However, although he may have liked parts of GE, I can't see him being particularly fond of Brozza's films (certainly TND through to DAD). Dalton openly said that he wanted to make the films for adults again. Brozza's films were (arguably) marketed mainly towards teenagers and the "MTV" era.
    @ForYourEyesOnly I think I agree with .....
    "Brosnan attempted to be a darker Bond but his films wouldn't let him "
    As I remember in early interviews, Brosnan on several occasions mentioned
    The Darker side to Bond. Sadly his films, ended up going in a different direction.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    @Thunderpussy - Yes, that's very true.
  • Dalton has said that apart from goldeneye, Brosnan's films sucked. That's pretty much what most people think.
    (:|
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,727
    Dalton told me that he thought Brosnan's hair was a really good 007 in GoldenEye.

In fact, Tim's single biggest regret is not having had the opportunity to work with Brosnan's hair on stage in the West End.
    Well Dalton told me ( and everybody knows this and agrees with it ) that he
    Was the bestist, Bond and all the other Bonds we're silly :)
  • Dalton, Connery were great Bonds and Lazenby was a good Bond imo.

Still having trouble with your grammar? Thanks for revealing your double account.
    (:|
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yea the only grammar that drives me crazy is this thread title!! ~X(

What were they thunking??!!
This discussion has been closed.