Soap Opera Moments in the James Bond Films?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited March 2016 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,728
Which moments or specific scenes from the James Bond films would you say have a soap opera feel to them?

Is there melodrama or hammy acting in the scene?

Is there too much of a personal angle for Bond or another character?*

For me at least the scene where Lupe Lamora comes into Pam Bouvier and Q's hotel room and gushes about her love for "James" is of the soap opera variety though I'm sure that there are plenty of others!

Even though this is a slightly negative topic, let's keep it fun and remain positive! :)

* The Daniel Craig films will surely feature here with all of their "personal story" connotations.

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    My daddy told me to treat him like my little brother but started to love him more boo hoo'.'

F**king abysmal and I can't think of any examples that are worse so might as well just close this thread now.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    double post
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    My daddy told me to treat him like my little brother but started to love him more boo hoo'.'

F**king abysmal and I can't think of any examples that are worse so might as well just close this thread now.

Oh, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of others!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The torture scene in TWINE springs too mind for hammy acting.
    "You meant <grimace> nothing to me." (Pain face)
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Pam whinging after Lupe left (and the scene where Lupe says she loves James "so much") were both terrible.

Brosnan/Craig entries will probably feature a lot here. The ones already mentioned in this thread are good examples.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    in OP

the whole bit where OP herself kind of throws a hissy fit at James for not wanting to come along with her - she storms off - Bond follows, spins her around and plants a kiss on her - they make out and fall onto a bed together..

it really does not get more soap opera than that, even right down to the camera angles they chose. (sorry @TheWizardOfIce lol :) )
    HASEROT wrote: »
    in OP

the whole bit where OP herself kind of throws a hissy fit at James for not wanting to come along with her - she storms off - Bond follows, spins her around and plants a kiss on her - they make out and fall onto a bed together..

it really does not get more soap opera than that, even right down to the camera angles they chose. (sorry @TheWizardOfIce lol :) )

Yes, I'd not really thought of that one.

It is melodrama as Octopussy's hissy fit doesn't last too long!

Plus, it's truly great to see you back to posting duties @haserot!
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    in OP

Yes, that part was awkwardly very soap opera. Stuck out in the film.

TWINE and the words 'soap opera' seem to be inextricably connected for some reason.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    in OP

TWINE and the words 'soap opera' seem to be inextricably connected for some reason.

TWINE was caught in the same purgatory between "Bond Formula" and "Character film" that SP was - the latter, i felt, succeeded a little more where the former failed..

but the whole bit when Bond confronts Elektra with "There is no point in LIVING if you can't feel alive." is very daytime soap.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    in OP

just dipping my toes back in..

we'll see if i feel like going back to active duty soon. lol
    in OP

TWINE was caught in the same purgatory between "Bond Formula" and "Character film" that SP was - the latter, i felt, succeeded a little more where the former failed..

but the whole bit when Bond confronts Elektra with "There is no point in LIVING if you can't feel alive." is very daytime soap.

Oh yes, we all know how 'ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE' Brosnan's acting was there!
    in OP

just dipping my toes back in..

we'll see if i feel like going back to active duty soon. lol

Well I hope you decide to stay. Never ever give up!

neverevergiveup.jpgg
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,399
    lol... i do really like Broz in that movie though - i felt it was his strongest performance in the role.. it's just a shame they wasted the Ferrari of Sophie Marceau by putting her alongside the Yugo of Denise Richards... and they had a killer Jag in Robert Carlyle - but never took it out of the driveway...
    I wonder does Dr Carl Mortner from AVTAK qualify with "STEADY Pegasus, STEADY, STEADY!"?
  • The scene with Paris and Bond in the hotel room.
  • RC7RC7
    The moment leading to M's death was misguidedly melodramatic. The clunky quip about 'deep water', to the sudden dash and then dropping to one knee.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think we've overlooked a gem...

"What the hell are you trying to do OO7, start World War 3?"

Quite possibly the worst line delivery in the series.
    Benny wrote: »

Good one!

Well, it was John Terry!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    FRWL
    "I'll do worse than that if you don't tell me!"
    "Even if you kill me, I can say nothing!"

Good one!

Well, it was John Terry!

Christ I forgot about good old Captain, Leader, Legend!!

JT's performance just screams soap acting. Horrendous. You have to wonder at what Dalts was thinking filming that scene: 'How has this happened? I'm used to treading the boards with RADA trained thesps at Stratford and now I'm sharing a scene with a guy who's so bad he wouldn't get a part in an am-dram production Run For Your Wife at a village hall.'

Perhaps it was after the Lupe 'I love James sooo much' scene that Tim reevaluated where his career was going and that's why he decided to quit.

I've never been a fan of John Terry's Felix Leiter.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Skyfall:
    Every scene featuring overrated Bardem (he'd fit in nicely in The Bold And The Beautiful).
    Everything in the church at the end. That's even more The Bold And The Beautiful or if you prefer it, Grey's Anatomy at its best.
    Shonda Rhimes definitely is best friends with Babs :))
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 498
    I'm surprised there was no mention yet of the cringeworthy "armor falling down" line. :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    For me, there can only be one scene. One definitive moment where a franchise's future rested in the balance, and it wasn't the infamous tsunami surf scene in DAD.

I am referring of course to the shame to end all shames. The so called 'confrontation' in Electra's living quarters in Baku in TWINE. "There's no point in living if you cannot feel alive" with pain face in full effect and all that rubbish. I wish I could post the still photo I have to demonstrate how awful it was, without drawing the ire of EON's lawyers.

What a 'Days of Our Lives' or 'Young and the Restless' moment. Beyond embarrassing and truly unworthy of Bond.
    ---
    If you were to press me, then LTK came close with the shambles of a poolside finale with Lupe & Pam. Earlier in the film too with the now legendary: "I love James...soooo much!"
    ---

These sap moments should be watched imho. They are not appropriate for this genre. Babs needs to ensure her desire to appeal to the fairer sex doesn't impact her judgement. Hopefully the Wilson brothers will bring some sanity back.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The whole Brosnan era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    PS: I forgot to mention the new moment vying with TWINE for the crown as of 2015. Sam Smith's classic.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

/thread

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The clone plot in DAF, good as it was, was pretty SO.
    Bond and Natalya on the beach in Cuba - pretty much the whole conversation drips of soap.
    Bond and Natalya on the beach in Cuba - pretty much the whole conversation drips of soap.

I thought that was ok myself. A rare attempt (and it should stay so) to see inside Bond. Worked better than the terrible CR scene ('you've stripped me of my armour').